Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal

MLD spectralite .60 hex tarp + tieout lengths?

The final piece of my new hammock setup arrived today, the Mountain Laurel Designs hex tarp. I'll be setting it up later tonight, but my initial impression is one of, "Oh wow!" This tarp is so light that it practically causes my hand to float when I'm holding it.

Question: What have people found to be the best lengths for the six tie out lines required of a hex tarp?

More initial impressions: When I laid it out on the living room floor, I found that it pretty much kept the HH a-sym tarp outder dimensions (length and width), fleshing it out to form a hex shape, if that makes sense. Quality of the sewing in the tarp and stuff sack match the high level of craftsmanship I have always heard associated with MLD.

There are eight perimeter tieout points, and they are all equipped with cord locks. Ron included two bunches of cord, the somewhat heaver cord to use with the locks, and the advertised, lighter cords in case I wanted to cut off the locks.

I'll get some pictures tomorrow when the sun is shining... For now, it's time to get ready for a snowy, NH hang tonight!

The only downside, though, is that after buying this tarp and two JacksRBetter quilts, Christmas presents for Others is completely out of the question.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    Question: What have people found to be the best lengths for the six tie out lines required of a hex tarp?
    There are eight perimeter tieout points, and they are all equipped with cord locks. Ron included two bunches of cord, the somewhat heaver cord to use with the locks, and the advertised, lighter cords in case I wanted to cut off the locks.
    because the line i use on my tarps (from speer hammocks or from BPL.com) is so light & compact, i may use a little more length than some.
    8' at each corner & 10' for each ridge line.
    the extra length is handy for reaching trees, roots, etc for quick, easy tie offs. a lot of times i may only use one or two stakes.

i'll have to go back to mountain laural's site & check out the cord locks. i don't remember those.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    5' on the sides and 10' on the ridge line.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hey Nartoff have you had a chance to use your tarp yet? I've been eyeballing the MLD designs hammock tarps and just curious about how it's holding up in the field and if you like using it.
    Hennessy Hyperlite with Cinch buckles

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    Yea, I would say that your ridgeline ropes should be a little longer than the side pullouts for you tarp. I guess my ridgeline cords are about 11' and my sides are about 6' or so. Let use know how you tarp hold up. A MLD Hex is defiantly on my wish list.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal
    I have only used it about 3 or 4 times now, though not in enough varying situations to write a thorough review.

From what I have seen, however, I am 100% satisfied and think it was money well spent. A couple highlights:

- The weight--or lack thereof! You get a lot of coverage for just over 6 ounces.

- It pitches like a dream. I do not have much experience with tarps, just the Hennessy A-sym that I never got to even resemble taught, but the MLD is like it was made to be a drum.

- The line locks that come attached to the tie-outs work extremely well with the [barely] heavier cord. With a bowline tied at the tie-out ends, it's a snap getting a tight pitch.

- Compared to some of the pictures I've seen of other hex tarps, the cat curve in the MLD is very subtle, which provides more coverage. It is my understanding that the Cuben fiber is the magic ingredient in getting a taught pitch without big cat cuts.

- Another benefit (again, as I understand it), is that you don't lose the taught pitch overnight. Without using any kind of self-adjusting line tensioners, the pitch is just as tight the next morning as it was at setup.

- The above comments all hold true after a full-night's amount of snow.

Although function is the most important element for me, I can't help but point out that this tarp is simply beautiful. I love the way it looks surrounded by snow.

Oh, and by the way, I used to enjoy the sound of rain on a roof/tent... forget that. Snow on a taught tarp is divine!

• + New Posts