Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images

Since everyone else is doing it:

Even the other "old timers" I'll introduce me.

I'm Doctari. I have been called that for over 25 years, since my days at the first aid department at the Cinti Zoo. This is well before getting into backpacking.

FWIW, Doctari is a bit quieter than Gary, the "real me". I real life, my two jobs require a,,,,,,,,, strong personality, out in the woods, those guys get to take a break & chill.
    Job #1: Ive been an EMT for over 28 years & a Paramedic for 15 of those years.
    Job #2, or as I like to call it, my fun job: I'm several characters at the Ohio Renaissance fest and I'm 1/2 of the first aid department there. When on the street, I'm usually "Adam" the Lord Mayor's man servant (predecessor to what is now known as a "man's man" or "butler") but most patrons know me as "the guy in Pink" I have several other characters, all quite over the top! Great fun!!

My true passion though is hiking & other outdoor activities like Bicycling (& bike camping) & canoeing. A few years ago on a overnighter at a local park, I decided to give up backpacking because it was getting harder & harder to get up from the ground & out of my (very small) tent. "I just can't do this anymore!' I said to myself. I had heard of hammock camping, but remembered the misery of being in a net hammock for long periods & didn't seriously give it any though as a viable way to camp. But after that last tenting trip, I sent Hammock engineer (Now "Coffee") a PM: "Hey, can I try your hammock for just a few minutes? PLEASE!!!" so the following week, he came over & we set it up in my back yard. I know you have all heard & or had the story, but it WAS: Love at first lay! I knew then & there that this was what would save my hiking life. So, I sent $18.00 to someone (I forget who I ordered it from) & got my first hammock. WOW, what a good nap, sadly, the hammock & the ropes I used all stretched A LOT & I woke up laying on the ground

Well, after about a year of trial & error (HF didn't exist yet, we all were on wB & a small side forum back then.) & some help from WB members, I finally got it nearly right. NOW it was time for my first long distance hike with a hammock, boy was I nervous: I was sure that I wouldn't find any place to camp. Yea, I had a underquilt, but only tested to about 40, so I was sure I would freeze to death. Yea, Hammock Forums was now a "Power" in the world of hammocks, & I learned a lot from that, Still,,,,,,,,,

Anyway, I always found a good site to hang, sometimes I found a GREAT site to hang. A few times places I could not have tented at, that was so fun!
    I got cold ONE night, below 32 because there was snow on the ground & the ground was frozen in the morning, but 1 night in 22, yea I was stoked!!
    Because I slept well every night the hiking was the easiest ever, I did more miles & had more fun than I ever had when tenting.

I was so hooked. I will never sleep on the ground again! Well, that isn't exactly true, I took a nap early afternoon on day 2, it was supposed to be a 30 minute nap (to the tune of "A 3 hour tour") & as I took it in my hammock, it turned into a 4 hr nap. So, now I "nap" on the ground or I don't get any hiking done. I can lay on the ground a max of 30 minutes, & as I prefer to take only 30 minute naps, this is a good plan.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Pleased to meet ya, Doctari.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Nice to hear more about you.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like you and your "Friends" would be a trip to have on a group hang. Great to hear your story.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is a good read Doctari. Welcome to HF! <laughing>

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Be on the lookout for ya at the Ren Fest this year. I went for the first time last year and is it ever a place to people watch!
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Full UQ/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    That's very cool, Doctari. I was with the Northern California Renaissance Faire from '81 to '90, with a couple o' years in '98 & 2003. Went by 'John Hoyle', AKA "Old Holly".

"Of all the trees that grow so fair
    Olde England to adorne,
    Greater bar none, beneath the sun
    than Oak, and Ash, and Thorne..."

-is that old chestnut sung round your faire at all?
    "The green earth, say you? That is itself a mighty matter of legend, though you tread it under the light of day." -Aragorn, 'The Two Towers' by J.R.R. Tolkien

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Pleased to meet you, Doctari!

What hangs will you be doing this year, after Mt Rogers?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey Doctari .... one of the Old Breed.
    Look forward to making your acquaintance someday.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    I'd follow the example but since I'm a spring chicken I won't.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast