Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I am also lacking in most of the tools needed, but I have been borrowing stuff here and there. My stand is almost finished and I should be able to use it by this weekend. I think Risk's stand you can make without major power tools.
    Well maybe if you've got really beefy forearms for turning those screws. Otherwise, yeah they'll cut everything you need cut at the hardware store. All that's left then is attaching all the pieces together. It's a really simple project.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    When all else fails go to walmart buy a 20-40 dollar drill save your reciept. Put a phillips bit in it to so you can screw the stuff together and when your done bring it back tell wm it didn't work right and your going to home depot to get a good brand, LoL! Personally I wouldn't use nails there's a lot of leverage in certain places and nails tend to pull out under leverage.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I am also lacking in most of the tools needed, but I have been borrowing stuff here and there. My stand is almost finished and I should be able to use it by this weekend. I think Risk's stand you can make without major power tools.
    My dad, who lives a block away, actually has all the tools I'd need but you don't understand the big picture. He's a master woodworker and perfectionist. He's going to want to know what I am building and, when I show him the various designs, he's going to bad mouth them all and take over the project or tell me not to build it. He's also very difficult to work with on projects. Metal ones can be found online for $100.

- JT

Quote Originally Posted by Tobit View Post
    He's a master woodworker and perfectionist. He's going to want to know what I am building and, when I show him the various designs, he's going to bad mouth them all and take over the project or tell me not to build it. He's also very difficult to work with on projects. Metal ones can be found online for $100.- JT
    Wow, Maybe you can take advantage of his knowledge and talent. But I do understand family dynamics!

Try this. Hey dad, I'm thinking about making a hammock stand. If you were going to build one out of wood that can be easily transported,stong,etc.. what would it look like? Then let him pay for and build it! That ought to be one sweet,custom built hammock stand!! Proud son,proud father,happy hanger ! Just post some pics of it. Just a thought....
    Hammock hanging and fly fishing;it just doesn't get any better!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputen View Post
    Try this. Hey dad, I'm thinking about making a hammock stand. If you were going to build one out of wood that can be easily transported,stong,etc.. what would it look like? Then let him pay for and build it! That ought to be one sweet,custom built hammock stand!! Proud son,proud father,happy hanger ! Just post some pics of it. Just a thought....
    Genius, pure genius!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Heh, thanks guys.. he's my dad and I do love him but he's a real arrogant, self-centered, and bitter and angry old man. I really think Viet-Nam messed him up bad. I've learned to not ask his help any more on projects, I've been waiting three months on a simple shelf unit for my desk. It's a shame because he's a very talented machinist and wood worker. But, again, he is my dad and I do love him even when it is difficult to do so.

- JT

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Otherwise, yeah they'll cut everything you need cut at the hardware store. All that's left then is attaching all the pieces together. It's a really simple project.
    I tried to get Lowes to cut the 4x4's I am using for my stand. They said their cutter wouldn't handle anything that thick.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yeah, I've had HD and Lowes do cuts for me in the past but they never measure properly and their cuts stink.

- JT

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    They stopped cutting 4x4s at Lowes and Home Depot sometime in the last 6 months. They cut mine for me when I built it, but when building one for my Mom over Thanksgiving they told me they were no longer allowed to cut 4x4s. Ain't worker's comp insurance grand?

Double up two 2x4s; should work just as well.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    They stopped cutting 4x4s at Lowes and Home Depot sometime in the last 6 months. They cut mine for me when I built it, but when building one for my Mom over Thanksgiving they told me they were no longer allowed to cut 4x4s. Ain't worker's comp insurance grand?

Double up two 2x4s; should work just as well.
    I think it depends on the store itself, The Home Depot here will still do custom cuttin for you. The other lumber stores in town will too.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast