Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    I made a last minute decision to head out to the blue mountains from Sydney yesterday at about 4.30pm. Wanted to have a "practice" run in my hammock as I haven't used it since moving to Australia. Turned up at the park entrance in Glenbrook on my motorbike at just after 6pm but the rangers had locked the gate. They let me in and said I could stay somewhere mnear the visitor centre. I need to figure out a good way to suspend my underquilt - it snapped off and I was freezing until about 2am and then decided to get out and somehow fix it back up.... I only took a summer weight sleeping bag which was also a mistake. Next week/next time it will be my winter sleeping bag and i will make sure I have the underquilt suspension igured out. How does everyone else do it? Didn't sleep well - got up at about 5.00am, cooked up breakfast then rode some of the trails to the different lookouts before heading out at 8am.
    Cold is never fun... and I just hate when your there in the middle of the night thinking "can i put up with this? or should I get up and do somthing about it?"

I was running a sleeping bag and self inflating pad which was working well, then went for the UQ and TQ. I was hanging it from a tie at the end of the hammock, and then run a longer line to the UQ suspension line so it sat a little more like what the Trianagle thingies do.

Here is the vid they are in http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=30802

How are you attaching now?
    Last edited by Lepmeister; 04-11-2011 at 05:56.

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Thanks for this. You're right about staying inside and suffering the cold rather than just getting out and fixing the problem. I tossed and turned for about 3 hours before deciding to fix the under quilt back up and that only took me 5 mins and made a huge difference. It's a down 3/4 length with petrel outer that I bought off the bushcraft forum in the uk but I never really knew how I should suspend it. I was just hooking a bungee at each end from corner to corenr over the ridge line. Those triangle things look great. I'll get myself a pair of those I think.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    Thanks for this. You're right about staying inside and suffering the cold rather than just getting out and fixing the problem. I tossed and turned for about 3 hours before deciding to fix the under quilt back up and that only took me 5 mins and made a huge difference. It's a down 3/4 length with petrel outer that I bought off the bushcraft forum in the uk but I never really knew how I should suspend it. I was just hooking a bungee at each end from corner to corenr over the ridge line. Those triangle things look great. I'll get myself a pair of those I think.
    Strange that it didn't come with some form of susspension They seem to normally come supplied with a loop on the corner and some shock cord joining the end corners + a shock cord running running along the end - both with cord locks to adjust.

I have some cord and locks that I'll throw in so we can tweek it. I have set the cords on mine to the correct length and they are good to go each time now (due to the consistant position of lay in the blackbird)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down Underquilt
    Suspension
    Webbing and Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lepmeister View Post
    Strange that it didn't come with some form of susspension They seem to normally come supplied with a loop on the corner and some shock cord joining the end corners + a shock cord running running along the end - both with cord locks to adjust.

I have some cord and locks that I'll throw in so we can tweek it. I have set the cords on mine to the correct length and they are good to go each time now (due to the consistant position of lay in the blackbird)
    It does have the loops and the shock cord and cord locks...I just wasn't sure where to tie it it's also got lots of loops down the side??? I look forward to finally solving the mystery of hanging my understood. I can cope with a top quilt though

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    It's On.....

Same details as the first post, just delayed for this weekend (16th and 17th April)

Cloudy. Isolated showers. Winds east to southeasterly averaging 15 to 30 km/h. Overnight temperatures falling to between 6 and 11 with daytime temperatures reaching between 15 and 21.

Bateman, Phrayzer and Myself are in.... anyone else - more than welcome.

Other campsites on the route are available if the group opts to use them on the day.

Let us know the start time is a problem if your travelling.. we can delay the start time a little without issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234