DIY
    Tarp
    DIY (finally done)
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Sweet setup! I love the commentary, gave me a chuckle.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by dmrichm View Post
    Sweet setup! I love the commentary, gave me a chuckle.
    Learned long ago from the great Batman, shh pow! Brings life to anything.

Thanks again for all the comments. I went out again today, just happened to be windier than a sack full of ....... Well, you get the point. Anyway I intentionally selected a site that had allot of wind coming in from the side. Temps again in the lower 30's with gusts up to 21 mph according to weatherbug on my phone. Got setup fairly close to the ground with the Superfly almost against it on the windy side. The other side I was able to tie out pretty good to allow me some space inside to fire up the stove. The tie outs on the side are fantastic. It kept the tarp pretty much off of the hammock with some of the stronger gusts allowing it to barely touch. I was very comfortable inside, the wind was almost non existent inside allowing me to warm up some water for coffee. Later I took the Superfly down, snuggled down inside my Burrow & the Blackbird then proceeded to take a good nap. Stayed nice & warm even without the tarp, although I had to pull the burrow up a little more. The sides of the Blackbird really help keeping wind directly off a body. This is good to know.

Next weekend I plan to camp out at least one night, maybe two. By the way, all of these pics I have taken is on our property. Since I'm a newb to hammocks and the gear, I wanted to practice setting things up & get to know my equipment before heading out on the trail somewhere. Just working the bugs out.

Images
    I just love a hanging spot with a view. Glad to hear you like your new gear. The picts of it are Great.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    for your next trial, how about half way down that slope? putting up the tarp at different angles will be a good lesson!
    KM (who has a hill in a nearby park..I'll have to try this myself!)

Hammock
    Woodsman X single
    Tarp
    Cuben Z-packs
    Insulation
    Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggles
    Just back from a 2 night trip with mine...such a shame I have work in the morning!!! It Sure is a sweet set up!!!
    Don't mess with Mother Nature as we are small and biodegradable!

http://ukhammocks.com

Mats YouTube Channel
    "Making it a great night in the woods!"

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    @KerMegan. Excellent idea. I was going to do it today but got busy with a fix for something I noticed yesterday in the wind. See below.

@Mat. They are sweet setups for sure.

As mentioned above, I noticed yesterday when I was setup in the wind that my Superfly would blow in slightly against my hammock, even with the side tie outs. After allot of wind later i saw slack in my setup. Not sure if my guy lines or tie outs sliped, or the fly just stretched. I know I setup on purpose in a situation that I could probably avoid, but just in case I started reading the forums here for a solutuion. Ah haw, self tensioning do hickies. So I grabbed the little ladies exercise bands (she never uses them anyway) and started to cut, tie, and make myself some fine tensioners. After getting four done I had to try them out since it was another windy day.

Finished products are about 11" from loop end to loop end and stretch out to about 23". I used the smallest tube in the set, just happened to be pink. Not to many objects in the woods are pink, so should be easy to see.

After setting under the setup Superfly today, these tensioners are going to work out great. Allows the wind to blow the fly in a little but bounces right bak out. SUPERFLY!

As you can see I did not take the Blackbird not enough time. But the test was a success. Now I hope the little lady doesn't figure out what I made these out of

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    McCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    uq/pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Great work on the tensioners!

Hammock
    TTTG SB1.9s / DreamHmk
    Tarp
    HG WinterKingdom
    Insulation
    HG M50 Superiority
    Suspension
    MakinWhoopies Bob.
    I'm interested in the knotwork used to tie up your tensioners, will you share?
    -Bill

"...the wolf shows up. Then the entire flock tries desperately to hide behind one lonely sheepdog."
    -LTC D. Grossman

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by body942 View Post
    I'm interested in the knotwork used to tie up your tensioners, will you share?
    Sure will. For the loops I started with tying an overhand knot in the end of the line. After that I tied a slip knot/slippery half hitch for the loop itself. The overhand knot in the end keeps the tag end from pulling through the hitch and gives me a fixed loop. Pull the knot inside the tube about 1/2", then I tied two constrictor knots on the loop side of the tubing to keep the hitch from pulling out of the tube itself. I'm into archery and do all my own bow work and tuning. So I used serving string (very strong) to tie the constrictor knots. I could have probable got away with just one, but two just for good measure. I thought about serving/whipping instead of constrictors, but with the tubing it would have been a little tough. The constrictor however is easy to tie, and the more you pull on it, the tighter it gets. Plus you don't have to maintain pressure on it to keep it from coming undone. Just pull it tight, cut the ends, fray the ends, and melt down with a lighter.

I hope that all made sense. If you have any more questions, let me know. If you would like to see the entire process, I have some pics and could build another showing the knots and all.

Hammock
    Black Bird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG 40* Incubator
    Suspension
    WB Webbing
    Images
    Looks awesome. I ordered mine on Friday and can't wait to finally start hanging in the trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast