Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    michalbuchanan

new to the forum, new to hammocks

bought a $10 army issue jungle hammock at the army surplus store in edmonton, alberta today. Funny thing is that everybody there told me it WAS NOT a hammock and that I COULD NOT string it up between two trees and lie in it!!!
    i tied it up with a really shoddy double bow slip on either side (watched a few youtube videos on the knot, i am really unsure as to whether the knot i tied could be called that or not!!) and laid it it, fearing the worst. i was really pleasantly surprised when i simply hung in the hammock, feeling perfectly safe and sound. got my younger brother (who is now a lot bigger than me) and his friend to try it out individually. they both laid in it for a half-second then jumped out while exclaiming how great it was. about to put my jacket and boots on again to raise one end up higher because my feet were far too high the first time i laid in it!

rambling now because i have been drinking but basically it is a long rectangle that is about 1 and 1/2 times my width (a very narrow hammock!) with hemmed loop edges that a thin nylon string runs through. as soon as you pull the string the ends bunch up and form the generic hammock shape. it came with a very old diagram on knot tying and setting up a hammock, both of which are unfortunately close to unreadable!

does anybody else sleep in a narrow hammock? have been reading a lot about hammocks and apparently a wide one is integral if you want to sleep diagonal (with a straight back). haven't been able to test hammocks out and tonight was my first time setting one up or even owning one so i am wondering if any of you can tell me a little bit more about that. how can i sleep in a hammock without my feet being higher than my butt? after the mere twenty/thirty/forty minutes i spent in it my knees were already starting to ache. what can I do?

anyway, thanks for existing! i am really looking forward to being an active part of this website in my more sober and coherent hours.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. If there is an MEC in Edmonton ,they carry a few Hennessy Hammocks and you might be able to try one out. There's allot of information here at HF. Watch some of the video's of trip reports,tarp vodeo's etc and you'll get a good idea what's going on. Have fun
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    WELCOME to the forum! You may have a hammock made somewhat like a Claytor. They are only 4 feet wide, but very well liked by most. How are the maple trees up there this winter? Mule
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Welcome. Some people will be put a stuff sack with some clothes under their knees or a small blow up pillow. Remember, never hang higher than you willing to fall. Wider hammocks allow you to lay at an angle and you get a flatter lay. That's why you see people discussing wider hammocks or asym hammocks. Enjoy your research on the site.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Welcome to the Forums!
    Trust nobody!

michalbuchanan
    well last night sure was... interesting. I decided to raise one end of the hammock up a lot higher than the other one, thinking that might help. The hammock ended up being raised so much that it was about three feet off the ground when i was lying down in it. a word to the wise - don't hang in a high hammock when you've had a few drinks! I ended up flinging myself out of it and onto the gravel i was set up over. it has always been my opinion though that we were given knees in order to fall on them again and again and scar them up really well.

thanks happycamper, I will definitely try putting something underneath my knees when I set it up next time. i wish i had read your post last night!! my knees thank you for the thought though.

thanks to everybody else for the welcome homes and advice!

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by michalbuchanan View Post
    anyway, thanks for existing!
    this line totally cracked me up. welcome to the forum

Hammock
    Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Etowah 10x12
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Welcome to the forum!
    I am also a fairly new hanger with a whole 3 nights under my belt.
    All I can tell you, is "read the forums" everything I know, and everything I've done has been information I've gathered from here, which led me to a great night sleep.
    Oh yeah, DIY projects save you a ton of money.
    Don't let up until you hear cartilage snap, or they crap in their pants. Sal Bandini

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooooo Buddy Welcome to ya'. You type good whilst nippin'.......
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Good to have ya here Michal!!!