Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images

best width for 1/4 thinlight?

Having recently purchased the Gossamer Gear 1/4" wide pad, I have been struck with the sheer size of the beast. Light as a feather but HUGE!!

Apart from trimming the length way down, what is the best width - the best compromise between bulk and warmth that you all have experienced?

Just FYI: I have been using a ccf pad with a SPE (only one set of wings down into the 20's) and have never used the second set as it usually just folded over and fell on my head (warm but annoying). I have never needed to double up pads and do not need a UQ, yet .
    That puts the width at about 28-30".
    I was actually going to cut out the baffles in the SPE to allow for a 30" wide pad to be inserted, but didn't want to ruin it just yet (more slippery that way - the GG pad has the "grip of death" on everything and remember reading a post where the user complained about the "tacky-ness" of it)

My main reason for purchasing this pad was specifically to limit bulk while maximizing warmth and ease of use. UQ are out for me until I can actually try one and be converted. In my mind the cons far outweigh the pros (weight, bulk, price and needed care and prevention with condensation/humidity/wetness issues.) With a couple of practice runs I have become pretty darn good at using the pads and have not been cold in the high teens.
    Being a bit of a gear head I am most definitively open to testing/changing/converting though!!

Anyways, back to the post:

I'd like to trim off as much as possible, but with the price of the pad (32$ delivered), I will assume the "ask first, cut later" choice of action.

Suggestions?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I just laid my pad out on the floor, laid down on it, and had my wife mark the width of my shoulders and the length of my body on the pad, added a few inches just to have a little extra, and trimmed it down. I also laid in the fetal position and made sure I had enough coverage for my knees and butt.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

I have two of the 40x60 oware pads, and little experience using them, but my plan is to leave one as is, then double the other so that it's 30x40. An option would be to cut yours into two 30x40 pads, which I may end up doing eventually.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    ah good point!

i have the narrow pad, which i mistakenly ordered when the wides were out of stock. ordering a wide now... so i'll have to wait to tell you what i think about size. yeah, by the dims it looks huge.

i did fine into the 30's with the narrow pad, my old skanky ketly synthetic bag, and some clothing choices. wider pad will be nicer for when i go fetal.

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    I cut down my GG 1/4 wide down to the length of an old ultralight threm-a-rest short (I guess its the same as a ridgerest short). I think for now Ill keep the width as is for summer. Also it folds very nicely into the pad pocket of my SMD Comet. Also when I find myself sleeping on the ground (ie the hostel in Troutdale) I have now double thickness to sleep on instead of just 1/4.
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    so i cut it 32 inches wide by 48 long.. i'm going to need to make a nylon sheath/cover for it as i doubt i'll be able to readjust easily once my weight is on it while hanging. unless you manage to land right in the perfect spot and not move

I trimmed my Oware pads coffin-shaped with the torso 28 in. wide, I'm 5'8"/ 170# and that is almost too narrow, 30in would be better.

• + New Posts