Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Images

What to buy at REI?

I will be on a business trip in Plano, Tx next week and just saw that the company I will visit is within 5 miles of an REI store. Since Santa completely ignored me a few weeks back in favor of my kids, I feel obligated to spend some money on myself. I have already made some headway in this regard by buying myself, er, I mean my wife, a new Pfaff sewing machine, but I think there should have been some stocking stuffers, right?

What are your favorite hammock camping supplies that you can pick up at REI? Or any other gear you think one has to have?

What I would really like to have is an easily adjustable suspension system. Does REI have anything for that? Also, do they carry any rope suitable for a structural ridgeline, or does everybody order that online?

Thanks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I buy almost everything online, except clothing/footwear. Yet, everytime I go into an REI I end-up leaving with a bag full of little goodies! So I guess my favorite things to buy at REI are things like stuff sacks, whistles (got about 30 of em), and other little odds and ends. Otherwise I prefer to order from the 'outlet' side of their website; good deals to be found there!
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    The Kelty Triptease is good for tarps and questionable for ridgelines. I've found good SpyderLine at West Marine and also use the Speer No Tangle orange line.

For suspension supplies you could buy some of the SMC descending rings and Camp Nano Wire Gate Carabiners. Most of their webbing is not suited to hammocks since it's likely to be all nylon.

If you do Freezer Bag Meals or the freeze dried meals in pouches, just last week I was in an REI and found that they have very light, long-handled Titanium alloy spoons. I bought some for me, my son and a friend and love it.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I got my CAMP Nano biners ($8) and SMC descending rings ($2.50) from REI. Both are useful for suspension.

Mine doesn't carry webbing by the foot, but they do have some tie-down polypro straps in 12' and 15' lengths for around $15 for the pair. More than you'd pay from Ed or OWFINC, but not so bad if you need some right away.

I haven't had luck with rope at my local stores. What they have that's strong enough is bulky and heavy. Actually, I did get a set of those blue Byer ropes that I used a bit. Something else that's not bad if you need some ropes right away.

My REI is all yuppie stuff like TNF. I have to really look for good gear. They did away with all of there climbing stuff to add more TNF clothing...**** yuppies...lol
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    GG ThinLight
    Suspension
    rings and webbing
    Images
    REI and EMS are my eye candy. Then I go to salvation army/online and get something cheaper

I have the luxury of living 1 hour away from an outfitter who carries WM gear, and while I can't afford it, once you have felt/worn their flight or meltdown jackets, the 650 fill 29oz jackets for sale at REI are just not the same...

Seriously though, being able to try stuff on and size yourself is a good way to know that what you are buying online is going to fit. I personally love going there and chit-chatting about gear, messing around with stuff (they are pretty good about letting you test stuff out) and oogling things my wife would slap me for buying! (you got another X-Y-Z?!!?!?!?)

Their clearance racks are great, the AS IS gear cheap, and their garage sales are a sweet deal as well - understanding that it is middle line "commercial" stuff
    Last edited by Dingus Khan; 01-11-2008 at 11:08. Reason: typo

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    The Kelty Triptease is good for tarps and questionable for ridgelines. I've found good SpyderLine at West Marine and also use the Speer No Tangle orange line.

For suspension supplies you could buy some of the SMC descending rings and Camp Nano Wire Gate Carabiners. Most of their webbing is not suited to hammocks since it's likely to be all nylon.

If you do Freezer Bag Meals or the freeze dried meals in pouches, just last week I was in an REI and found that they have very light, long-handled Titanium alloy spoons. I bought some for me, my son and a friend and love it.
    I do freezer bag cooking, and will be looking for that long-handled Ti spoon. Do you remember what brand it was?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    I buy almost everything online, except clothing/footwear. Yet, everytime I go into an REI I end-up leaving with a bag full of little goodies! So I guess my favorite things to buy at REI are things like stuff sacks, whistles (got about 30 of em), and other little odds and ends. Otherwise I prefer to order from the 'outlet' side of their website; good deals to be found there!
    Just wondering, what do you use 30 whistles for? How many do you carry with you on a trip?

Don't forget to pick up some Figure 9s.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    My REI is all yuppie stuff like TNF. I have to really look for good gear. They did away with all of there climbing stuff to add more TNF clothing...**** yuppies...lol
    That's what happens when it is in the richest part of the area. Still some good stuff though, but I do find that 90% of what I get from them I order and have sent there.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast