Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i ask b/c this may be a sweet summer option for those nights it dips into the 50s but i don't want to carry my 3S crowsnest...

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    2Q please provide redirect if I'm wrong.

The way I look at it an UQ protector doesn't need to be water proof like a tarp or rain wear. It just needs to shield the UQ from fog or rain splash and breathe to avoid condensation of the moisture your body puts out. Calenderized nylon should be pretty wind resistant, breathe and still be slightly water resistant. Even if gets a little wet, it's not in direct contact with down so there shouldn't be a problem.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    i agree with you, but i think i phrased my question in regards to it 'being' my UQ not "protecting" it. i'd like to know how the calendaring compares to nylon coated with dwr over the long haul...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Yes, I think that is a fair statement. Tightly woven ripstop and calendaring of the material makes that possible. OutandBack has been testing it for us and can speak to the resistant properties.
    Although I have not performed any tests where I removed the UQP and then reinstalled it to see or measure the difference.
    I believe the UQP is doing a great job of blocking the wind, snow and providing a small dead air space to help hold in heat.

Would it insulate me in 50F weather without additional insulation?... No I don't believe it would.
    Would it help hold a light blanket up against the bottom of the hammock?... yes I believe that would work great.

The UQP adds a second layer to your hammock keeping the mosquito from biting your bottom.

You can also store extra clothing between the layers. It's one pretty cool piece of hammock kit, IMO

The material has a good feel to it. Strong but light.

Earlier this week I was hanging is some pretty strong winds. Winds that whipped the snow around pretty good.
    One evening snow was flying up under the tarp and all around me. I was so glad the UQP was installed it just gave me a little piece of mind.

The UQP did a great job of keeping this snow from between my hammock and down UQ. The UQP also did a great job of holding the UQ in position under me.
    I like this breathable UQP a lot. It is basically lives on my hammock now. No reason to ever remove it.

On my facebook page I have a few pictures of the 2QZQ UQP in action if you want to check them out. No FB account required.
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=b64b25b94c

hth
    Last edited by OutandBack; 02-17-2011 at 00:14.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    i just got mine. and quickly got to string it up in the basement on my new HHUL with zip mod 4. 2 great items from 2qzq.

i'm hoping it will fit on the jrb bridge too. the shockcord should be long enough to go corner to corner. if not i'll just add length i'll find out later today.

from outnbacks report.. i know this is the UQP will be just the ticket on all my gathered end hammocks, and very likely the bridge.

headed to the ohio woods for some testing this weekend. .
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    HH, CJH NX-250, WBBB 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    Std, Hex, or WBSF
    Insulation
    Burrows&Incubators
    Suspension
    Poly web w/AHE buc

Calendaring

As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

2Q, correct me if I am in error. My memory ain't what it once was!

Jim

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

2Q, correct me if I am in error. My memory ain't what it once was!

Jim
    I like the fact that this is a process done to the fabric and not a coating that was applied. It should last the life time of the material.

rip W, glad to here you got one. Looking forward to your review.
    It will be interesting to see if you can get it to fit a bridge.
    On my gathered end hammock, once I got the fit correct, I ended up cutting off about 6" of the shockcord on each end.

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    2qzq & bridge hammock:

my prelim. tests did not show promise, but thats not say i've exercised all the options and am giving up.

i first attempted to attach the UQP using it "as is". i clipped an s-biner to the fixed loop of shockcord on the UQP. then attached it to the main suspension ring of the bridge. i did this at both the head and foot end.
    did not work. the UQP assumes the shape of a gathered end hmmk and did not clear the corners. it also hung a little loose under the hmmk.

i then tried to attach the uqp in the same manner jrb recommends attaching a full length quilt to the bridge. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm
    problem is, the UQP is too long, and it sags too far. the UQP is 106" long and 64" wide.. while the jrb quilts are Length: 78 inches Width: 48 inches otherwise it would fit perfectly. this got me thinking.....

i returned to attaching the UQP to the main suspension ring on the bridge. but this time i ran the shockcord around the spreader bars, so the UQP would assume the dims of the bridge. this will work, i think, however it seems the stock shockcord 2qzq provide is too short. and i'm all out of shockcord to mod it right now. the fit is NOT PERFECT, but with the some manipulating and adjustment, it will work.

so my plan is to undo the fixed loop of shockcord on the end channels of the UQP, and instead install a cordlock. i also plan to use a longer length of shockcord. the cordlock will allow premium adjustment and really dial in the necessary lengths.

sorry no pics just yet. when i get it dialed in... hopefully this evening, i'll snap a few.

the UQP is awesome though. the side channel adjustments are awesome. the overall feel and quality is unrivaled. very nice piece of gear. this will likely be a permanent fixture in my kit, on both the bridge and wbbb / HH
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

I'm lookin' forward to gettin' to see one this weekend, been thinkin' of gettin one to protect my incubator

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rip waverly View Post
    2qzq & bridge hammock:

my prelim. tests did not show promise, but thats not say i've exercised all the options and am giving up.

i first attempted to attach the UQP using it "as is". i clipped an s-biner to the fixed loop of shockcord on the UQP. then attached it to the main suspension ring of the bridge. i did this at both the head and foot end.
    did not work. the UQP assumes the shape of a gathered end hmmk and did not clear the corners. it also hung a little loose under the hmmk.

i then tried to attach the uqp in the same manner jrb recommends attaching a full length quilt to the bridge. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/UQ%20Installation.htm
    problem is, the UQP is too long, and it sags too far. the UQP is 106" long and 64" wide.. while the jrb quilts are Length: 78 inches Width: 48 inches otherwise it would fit perfectly. this got me thinking.....

i returned to attaching the UQP to the main suspension ring on the bridge. but this time i ran the shockcord around the spreader bars, so the UQP would assume the dims of the bridge. this will work, i think, however it seems the stock shockcord 2qzq provide is too short. and i'm all out of shockcord to mod it right now. the fit is NOT PERFECT, but with the some manipulating and adjustment, it will work.

so my plan is to undo the fixed loop of shockcord on the end channels of the UQP, and instead install a cordlock. i also plan to use a longer length of shockcord. the cordlock will allow premium adjustment and really dial in the necessary lengths.

sorry no pics just yet. when i get it dialed in... hopefully this evening, i'll snap a few.

the UQP is awesome though. the side channel adjustments are awesome. the overall feel and quality is unrivaled. very nice piece of gear. this will likely be a permanent fixture in my kit, on both the bridge and wbbb / HH
    When we were first discussing a breathable UQP and modifying the original design I never thought about how it would fit on a bridge hammock.
    They're basically a rectangle and not anything like the taper of a gathered end.

I think it would be hard to get one UQP to fit both well.
    The new UQP really hugs to the shape of the gathered end hammock. IMO, getting that same hugging action on a bridge would require a different cut and attachments.
    Basicly a rectangle with loops on the 4 corners. Maybe shockcord along the two edges but not gathered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast