Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
2Q please provide redirect if I'm wrong.

The way I look at it an UQ protector doesn't need to be water proof like a tarp or rain wear. It just needs to shield the UQ from fog or rain splash and breathe to avoid condensation of the moisture your body puts out. Calenderized nylon should be pretty wind resistant, breathe and still be slightly water resistant. Even if gets a little wet, it's not in direct contact with down so there shouldn't be a problem.
ZQ here....Yes Knotty, that is the idea we are hearing from those interested in the breathable UQP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

2Q, correct me if I am in error. My memory ain't what it once was!

Jim
Sounds good to me! What I know about calendared ripstop, I learned from asking sclittlefield. ZQ