Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    2Q please provide redirect if I'm wrong.

The way I look at it an UQ protector doesn't need to be water proof like a tarp or rain wear. It just needs to shield the UQ from fog or rain splash and breathe to avoid condensation of the moisture your body puts out. Calenderized nylon should be pretty wind resistant, breathe and still be slightly water resistant. Even if gets a little wet, it's not in direct contact with down so there shouldn't be a problem.
    ZQ here....Yes Knotty, that is the idea we are hearing from those interested in the breathable UQP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsaults View Post
    As I recall from many years ago in the outdoor biz, was sometimes used with the ripstop fabrics of the time to increase the downproofedness, especially against the snall quills sneaking through the weave. Added an extra step to the manufacturing process at the mill (passing the fabric between two heated rollers) so only the big names at the time were using it - TNF, SD, as I recall.

As memory serves it ws also applied to ripstop destined for parachute manufacturing to reduce the porosity - this was before the days of specialized lo-po fabrics.

2Q, correct me if I am in error. My memory ain't what it once was!

Jim
    Sounds good to me! What I know about calendared ripstop, I learned from asking sclittlefield. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    kbwaddy
    Tarp
    valesko
    Insulation
    ahurst
    Suspension
    dutch
    well.. after some more testing.... the uqp would really benefit from a design with the bridge hmmk in mind.

i was able to get the shock cord to stretch around the spreader bars with some modifications, but overall, the fit is saggy and loose along the edges.

outnback says it right in it being designed for the gathered ends. if it were cut to say 82" long by 52" wide.. it would likely be a nice fit, allowing room for the uqp. of course, all hmmk dims vary.. so a "one-shot" piece of gear is hard to design.

buuut, all things considered, if one wanted the 2qzq uqp to work on a bridge, technically it could. i will take it out to the ohio hang and try my best this weekend. it will also see an HH on the trip. can't wait to get feedback from fellow hangers, as its likely there is a setup i'm overlooking.

**edit**
    this does not discount the design and time that went into this piece of gear. its my opinion the majority of hangers are in a gathered end hammock. outnback and 2qzq really put some time into working out the kinks -- and did so on a wbbb, (i think), which seems to be a pretty solid control subject hmmk. it fits my 1.1 dl like a glove. it only makes sense that bridge hmmk, with a radically different design, would require its own dims. its likely not cost effective to create a line of the breathable uqp's for bridge hmmks, but perhaps its a custom thing. just thinking out loud.
    Last edited by rip waverly; 02-18-2011 at 01:33. Reason: not discounting
    "Jeff-Becking"

DOWNTOWN BROWN!!!!

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    How would this product compare to the DriDucks poncho underquilt protector?
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by optimator View Post
    How would this product compare to the DriDucks poncho underquilt protector?
    I have both and this is far better than the DDP in my opinion.
    Main reasons I like the 2qZq UQP better:
    1. It packs smaller and can be stuffed. The DDP has to be folded several times and then rolled up otherwise it's real bulky because it doesn't compress well.
    2. It's much lighter.
    3. It doesn't have a hood that you have to tie shut on the bottom. I never used my DDP as a poncho.
    4. It fits better and the sides stay up.
    5. It's more durable and will last longer.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Hmmmmmmmm...........this renders the non-breathable quilt protector I just bought obsolete and I haven't even used it yet. I didn't like the fact that I had to use a vapor barrier anyway. I suppose I will be getting one of these too.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by whayneneal View Post
    Hmmmmmmmm...........this renders the non-breathable quilt protector I just bought obsolete and I haven't even used it yet. I didn't like the fact that I had to use a vapor barrier anyway. I suppose I will be getting one of these too.
    Obsolete isn't really the correct word. A silnylon UQP doubles as a Vapor Barrier of course, which is needed at times. Remember, in weather where the dewpoint is such that your body moisture condenses from vapor to liquid, a VB is needed to keep the moisture out of your UQ. It is then the UQP should be used between your hammock and UQ. Especially if your UQ is made of down fill.
    So with that said, the Sil UQP has its place, its knowing when its needed. This issue is often overlooked but for winter campers an important part of multi-day, therefore, multi-night camping. I've seen down UQ's get quite heavy and rendered almost useless by moisture frozen inside the down.

edit:
    ZQ reminded me of something else. THe Sil UQP was originally made as a waterproof protector when blowing rain is an issue and tarp coverage is minimal. This is where the Sil UQP shines. The breathable ripstop UQP in this case won't be near as protective as waterproof material would be. Again, knowing the right application for the Sil and breathable UQP's is important. The overall concern is the same, keep the down dry.
    Last edited by 2Questions; 02-20-2011 at 07:40.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay, it is evident that I need to further educate myself on VBs. I confess that I'm somewhat ignorant. I read the thread that was going around a month or two ago. I need to look that over again. I'm still going to want one of those breathable UQPs though. I will probably order tonight. Thanks, 2Q.

Hammock
    Dutch Netless
    Tarp
    HNO Sock
    Insulation
    HG/HNO/UGQ
    Suspension
    Not Lately
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Obsolete isn't really the correct word. A silnylon UQP doubles as a Vapor Barrier of course, which is needed at times. Remember, in weather where the dewpoint is such that your body moisture condenses from vapor to liquid, a VB is needed to keep the moisture out of your UQ. It is then the UQP should be used between your hammock and UQ. Especially if your UQ is made of down fill.
    So with that said, the Sil UQP has its place, its knowing when its needed. This issue is often overlooked but for winter campers an important part of multi-day, therefore, multi-night camping. I've seen down UQ's get quite heavy and rendered almost useless by moisture frozen inside the down.

edit:
    ZQ reminded me of something else. THe Sil UQP was originally made as a waterproof protector when blowing rain is an issue and tarp coverage is minimal. This is where the Sil UQP shines. The breathable ripstop UQP in this case won't be near as protective as waterproof material would be. Again, knowing the right application for the Sil and breathable UQP's is important. The overall concern is the same, keep the down dry.
    Thanks for your replies. That's my concern, keep the down dry, without increasing tarp size and weight, or the weight of a synthetic UQ. I have a lot of experimenting to do, but I'm trying to get educated while I wait for my hammock.
    I'm trying to balance a couple of concerns. One is wind driven rain and the other is humidity. For example, this morning it was 55* and relative humidity of 90% (fair amount of fog). Wouldn't both sides of my UQ be wet?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Okay, I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. During colder temps where blowing rain is not as much a concern as condensation from body heat I should use the sil UQP between the hammock and the quilt. During warmer temps where blowing rain and fog is the concern I should use the UQP beneath the quilt. Is the correct?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post

edit:
    Won't using the sil-nyl UQP as a VB(between hammock and quilt) loose the wind/water proof benefits in heavy wind/wind driven rain snow? Wouldn't it make more sense to just always use it with a $3, 2-3 oz space blanket as the VB function, while the UQP stays outside everything else, providing the quilt protection? Especially if your tarp was on the small side?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast