Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Ahh, reminds me of the good old days, but better as a hanger!

;-)
    My memories of the old boyscout canvas single wall no bottom tents are not that great.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fronkey View Post
    Terrific! I'm really looking forward to your trip report.

How come you don't sleep with the stove burning? Is that a big no no?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    ^^^Brian will have to answer that question, but as a practical matter, the little stoves we are using won't hold a fire for very long. Four Dog knows far more about stoves than I ever will. I hope he sees this, and joins the conversation.
    Oldgringo is right on 1 count. The volume of my DIY pot stove is about 1 cubic foot so it doesn't hold enough wood to burn through the night. The other factor, is that my DIY stove is anything but air tight, so if I close the dampers too much I get smoke coming back through the stove at the door seams and air intake on the bottom. Third reason is the concern with carbon monoxide. Also the typical wood supply in the northern boreal forests of Canada is typically soft woods (pine, spruce, fir) and they don't burn as long as hard woods (oak, birch, maple, ash, etc).

However, I've seen the the woodstove to lust over. It is known as a FourDog Titanium UL2 stove. It is so light for it's size, that it practically defies the laws of physics. I've started to save my pennies.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Oldgringo is right on 1 count. The volume of my DIY pot stove is about 1 cubic foot so it doesn't hold enough wood to burn through the night. The other factor, is that my DIY stove is anything but air tight, so if I close the dampers too much I get smoke coming back through the stove at the door seams and air intake on the bottom. Third reason is the concern with carbon monoxide. Also the typical wood supply in the northern boreal forests of Canada is typically soft woods (pine, spruce, fir) and they don't burn as long as hard woods (oak, birch, maple, ash, etc).

However, I've seen the the woodstove to lust over. It is known as a FourDog Titanium UL2 stove. It is so light for it's size, that it practically defies the laws of physics. I've started to save my pennies.

Cheers

Brian
    Once I finish making my tent I'm going to get a fourdog stove. Because I've heard some awesome things, I can probably pick it up myself as it's only around 45 minutes away and I shared a camp with fourdog and he's just a nice guy. lol

I didn't know he had one made from titanium. But, with a pulk and a short hike in, I'm not too worried about weight.

I wish we actually had some snow because this really looks like so much fun to do.

Fronkey

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    An overnight fire falls into the nice-to-have category for me...it would make the morning fire easier and quicker, but is not necessary for sleeping comfort. A canvas tent, in addition to blocking the wind, does a pretty good job of capturing the heat of the earth, and my own body heat.

In recent years, I've moved away from gas lanterns for camping, with the exception of winter camping in one of my canvas tents. They put out a substantial amount of heat, and bring cheer, pushing the gloom to the fringes. A gas lantern in a white canvas tent is a thing of joy.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dream Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11WB
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    A gas lantern in a white canvas tent is a thing of joy.

Yes, indeed!

Hammock
    i like my HH
    Tarp
    no preference(yet)
    Insulation
    pad and bag
    Suspension
    what came/w the HH
    I don't think there is a finer feeling than looking up in the morning through the opening of a teepee. The way the light comes through the canvas is pretty special. I have spent my fair share of time in canvas lodges of a multitude of styles. Since I have been hammock camping I have been trying to figure out how to sneak my hammock into my lodge at fur trade reenactments. I will however, happily go to ground to spend time in my canvas home. An 18' teepee has quite a bit of room so maybe someday.... I will add to Old Gringo's comment on lantern light and canvas. One of the most beautiful experiences I ever had was looking down on our camp of about 15 lodges spread along the edge of the woods with campfires and candle lanterns lighting camps and lodges. Simply breathtaking.
    "Mother Gue", I says "the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world," and by God, I was right. Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    An 18' teepee has quite a bit of room so maybe someday...
    It works well! We called it a Prairie Travois...
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    Yes, indeed!

Now that's a lodge. Always wanted one.
    We are now ready to start our way down the Great Unknown.We are three quarters of a mile in the depth of the earth.We have an unknown distance yet to run, an unknow river yet to explore.What falls there are, we know not; what rocks beset the channel, we know not; what walls rise over the river, we know not. Ah, well! We may conjecture many things. The men talk as cheerfully as ever; jests are bandied about freely this morning; but to me the cheer is somber and the jests are ghastly. Powell 1869

Hammock
    Lite Owl/GT SB
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbidge, JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks super cozy!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345