Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Minnesota 3 Night Winter Backpack/Hammock Trip

Howdy Hangers,
    Shug here back from my trip to North MN to test out the winter hammock techniques. Got to the trailhead early Monday as the days are short this time of year, still darkish at 7am and dark at 5pm. Parked at Crosby Manitou State Park which includes the Superior Hiking Trail. This is a favorite area of mine. Trail was unbroken and virgin going west on SHT and broken heading east on Crosby side, went that way as it was warmish at 34o and the snow was wet and heavy. We had a warm spell dang it! I was looking forward to severe cold.
    Followed the established trail heading for site # 12, enough hill to make it challenging and about 2 1/2 miles from trailhead to good ol' camp. Well broken trail was nice until it ended as that person seemed to have gotten a bit mystified by the very unmaintained and "hard to follow even in good weather" trail. Now I had virgin trail. Bit of a puzzle at times but I just would stop and really look and I could make out the trail corridor. It does take a lot longer on snowshoes as well as trying not to sweat severely. My pack was my new Kelty Coyote, heavier pack than I wanted but with the extra bulk of winter gear and food I needed the room. Want a ULA Catalyst but would need to wait and I was able to get the Coyote straightaway as well as try it on. Ended up really, really liking it so far. Lots of good features that I did not think I would use but ended up utilizing all of them. As example, the removable top lid I used to hike out on day two and reregister for another night at site #12 since I decided to stay set up as it was wet and cold and I wanted to dink around with my set-up. Lid held all my stuff for a 4 hour round trip to trailhead and then back to camp. The Catalyst will come later!
    Finally got to #12 at around 3pm and went to hanging hammock and tarp as well as making a cup of tea. My clothes were wet from exertion as my pack was heavier than I wanted, did not weigh it but probably 28 to 32 lbs. As I was solo I wanted to make sure that I would not get cold, have plenty of food and fuel and have all my hanging stuff ie: hammock, sock, UQ, 0o bag, tarp w/ flaps, winter wear, extra socks and mittens. All worked out great. Really glad for the Mountain Hardware Conduit gaiters that my wife gave me for Christmas. Did not need snow in the boots. My Keen Growlers. Worked well but I did need to change socks and liners always after hiking. Warm while doing camp chores but since the snow was wet on night one I was hesitant to put on my camp insulated booties in worry of them getting soggy as well. I put on my vapor barrier socks and that really helped out a lot. Slept in them and had to remove them at about 4am as feet got cold, then warm as I took them off. I think it was to warm in the bag for them to be effective. I suppose..
    Well the hammock was awesome. I slept really well and was warm in the hammock with my overstuffed DIY UQ and REI 0o bag that I use quilt style. Adding the flaps to my tarp really helped keep out the cold. Not much wind on night one and this is a windy site on a ridge. Woke to pee at around 2am, temp around 28o outside and warmer in the tarp and was a bit clammy and had to take off my Montbell short sleeve vest and a light fleece shirt. Crawled back in the hammock in only my polypro mid weight shirt and Golite Wisp wind shirt and all was well. Slight condensation on my pads which by the way were a DIY SPE with a BA insulated mat and a REI blue CCF pad under that. That is my favorite pad system for real cold so far and with the UQ I have never been chilled on the bottom at all. If anything I tend to get a bit cooler on top. Not cold but cooler and that is always just a matter of adding or subtracting layers. Slept soundly and woke at around 8am and had breakfast while never leaving the hammock. I absolutely love that part. As I planned in advance, I used a simple alcohol stove in the tarp tent for breakfast only. Fumes are not bad at all and flame is low and tarp is well ventilated. Cool Man. Used my old MSR Whisperlite for all other meals, beverages and of course snow melting. Great stove. Trusty stove and all I would use winter-wise. But the alcohol was terrific in the tarp. It was one I got from J. Falk and I use part of his woodstove for keeping my water and meals hot by using 2 to 3 tea candles under my pot. Works fantastic and the light is welcome as it is a long, dark and cold night alone.
    I have a tea candle lantern that is lightweight and awesome. I stick a couple of bare tea candles around in the snowbank and the warm light is welcome and actually pretty bright once the headlamp has been off for a few minutes.
    By the way, I did not utilize the hammock sock on night one.
    So, as mentioned I hiked back to the trailhead to pay up for another night as there is a small fee in CMSP. Well night two got cold, 18 degrees and windy. The hammock sock was deployed and really helped with warmth. The flaps that I added to the DIY cat tarp also really cut the wind! Had a bit of flapping from time to time but it was brief each time so I just ignored it. No condensation in the hammock sock and as I just finished it the night before the trip and it was untested I was happy with that. Slept like a bear and had no sweating. another breakfast without ever leaving the hammock. SWEET!
    Got up to a cold morn happily refreshed and started tearing down for the hike out and on west on the SHT. Got on the trail about 9:45 as I did lollygag a bit enjoying me, myself & I. The trail west was virgin snow about 2 feet deep. Not wet so I slowed my pace as not to sweat and got to Aspen
    Knob site on SHT about 2:30. Made a nice hang and enjoyed my favorite night meal of spaghetti with 4 Vodka sauce that I dry in the Ronco. Mmmmm... then some chocolate and a good cigar. Night was clear and c-cold. Got to about 7o, not as cold as I hoped but that was what I got. Broke out the down parka, parked it and watched shooting stars. 4 of 'em. Thanks God. Crawled in the hammock at about 9pm and read awhile. Pulled up the hammock sock but did not close it on head end. Woke about 4am and literally had snowfall in the sock. Maybe I was too warm as I slept in all my clothes minus my outer shells. I pulled it back and slumbered on and still was totally warm and comfy. As I say, never cold underneath and that makes me happy and proud. Hammocks can really go where they want I say.
    Got up at 6:45 and again .... breakfast in the hammock. Grits, chocolate, bacon I cooked at home and toss in a baggie, pop tarts and instant espresso. Two cups then off for the morning constitutional. Ahhh, the good woods like. Packed it up and headed out.
    In conclusion, I love the hammock much more than I thought I would and will do what I must not to go to ground. Thanks to you all for the confidence to pursue this wonderful aspect of backpacking and adding a kick and a bit of life to my adventures in the woods.
    All secure in sector seven.
    Shug
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

home sweet home

Shug, great trip report, and better still, great trip.

Your pictures are making me homesick. I spent my formative years in Bemidji. My first boy scout camp-out ever was in the winter.

we're mad, you know. Stark raving lunatic mad to voluntarily go out and live in the woods when perfectly good warm houses are available.

Grizz

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey-Ho Grizzly,
    Bemidji is great. Fun to say and hard to spell.... Yeah, a feller needs to be just a wee mad.
    Seriously though, the solitude was fantastic and now it is back to the world. Aside from this lollygagging at the computer.
    Thanks feller.
    Shug

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Man what a great trip that sounds like! I'm totally jealous, but thanks for sharing.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    Looks like a great trip. I might have to move to more cold weather camping. Burrrrrrr

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    "enjoying me, myself & I."

My favorite part of the report! Gotta love it. There's a man that's happy in his own skin.

Miguel

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    fantastic report shug! thanks.
    it was almost as if i went on an adventure myself<g>.

having breakfast in a warm hammock is great isn't it?<G>

interesting points about the vapor barrier socks needing to come off after time under the quilt, then your feet getting warm.
    and the frozen condensation (snow) in the hammock sock the one night.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey ya'll
    Thanks for taking the time to cyber-trip with me.
    Yea, interesting about the sock and socks.
    And Miguel, nobody out there but me so I might as well entertain me! Boredom is not my amigo........ I was surprised to see a wolf spider out on walkabout. Although it was moving slow. Doing a Slowhike????
    Couple more pix
    Shug
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    .I was surprised to see a wolf spider out on walkabout. Although it was moving slow. Doing a Slowhike????
    Shug
    that's my kinda spider
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug, that sounds like a truly awesome trip!

- JT

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast