Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.

Another gizmo....

I got REI's gearmail today and started browsing thru all the stuff I dont want or need and found these http://www.rei.com/product/609110?cm...l_item*element

Before I buy, anyone have any experience with them or thoughts/input?
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://www.rei.com/product/358151 looks very similar but maybe not as easy to get on and off the line. At 35 cents a piece I may throw a couple in with some other stuff I am looking at and try them out. The 8 pack of the others look perfect for my Speer Winter tarp, so I may just go with that. Two SMC ones as backups look like a good idea. Plastic is gonna break I would have to think eventually. Those SMC ones are mighty cheap, 35 cents worth of them plus 15 cents worth of 1/8 shock cord looks to be a nice upgrade to just plain guylines.

I just throw a random internet search to check out other options. Looks like Outdoor Researc/Exped (they are the same company) and Aircore both seem to have other similar options. Those yellow ones look a bit expensive. Nice and visible, and look pretty solid. I'll let anyone with real experience chime in now. I want to grab something like this too.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I've used the Taut Ties on my tarp and on the line that suspends my netting on my Claytor hammock. They work quite well but I've switched over to the figure nines. You can make the line tighter with the figure nines. With the plastic ones you need a hair of slack in order to weave it through the device. The other thing is that you attach it on the end of the line where the figure nines can be attached anywhere. Both are really convenient but I prefer the nines especially with my tarp.

Miguel

Formerly of Yosemite and Zion NPs. Currently residing at Grand Canyon NP.
    Thanks Miguel! I didnt think to use the 9's on the tarp lines to the ground... I do have them on the ridge tho!
    Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
    Thanks Miguel! I didnt think to use the 9's on the tarp lines to the ground... I do have them on the ridge tho!
    I don't use them on the tarp lines to the ground just for hanging it from the tree. That's where I want some pretty serious tension. I simply have tied two permanant loops in the tarp line to the ground ....one for a short tie out and one for a long one.

Miguel

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    I have used the taut ties on various tents and tarps. They work okay but I found myself going to a taut line hitch because it seemed easier to adjust. Like Miguel says - you need a little slack to weave the line through. I assume he meant when you put the tie on the line when initially setting the line up. That wasn't my concern, rather it was that you needed a little slack to be able to adjust the tie (maybe that's what Miguel meant...). If the line isn't real tight, you could often move the tie without slack but, then if the line isn't real tight, I guess you have slack.
    Anyway, if they're cheap, grab a few and try them. I still use them on some things.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    I have used the taut ties on various tents and tarps. They work okay but I found myself going to a taut line hitch because it seemed easier to adjust. Like Miguel says - you need a little slack to weave the line through. I assume he meant when you put the tie on the line when initially setting the line up. That wasn't my concern, rather it was that you needed a little slack to be able to adjust the tie (maybe that's what Miguel meant...). If the line isn't real tight, you could often move the tie without slack but, then if the line isn't real tight, I guess you have slack.
    Anyway, if they're cheap, grab a few and try them. I still use them on some things.
    Hehe...."what Miguel meant"....your guess is as good as mine. Actually I meant the initial tie of the tarp to the tree...I like it real tight. Also the nines are easier to readjust after stretch has occurred.

Miguel

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    claytor
    Insulation
    foam pad
    Suspension
    straps with cinch
    Hey Miguel....I have thoughts tie outs on my bug net they work great for some thing you don't need real tight.....I am heading out in the Finger lakes national forest tonight for the weekend are you still out west? If not do you what to tag along?
    A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

• + New Posts