Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    If they walked up to the hammock and discovered it were a professor hanging they would have bid him good day and walked on past. Students are usually seen as the enemy to campus police.

In University situations you almost never get anywhere by going "higher up." You are better off taking it to a student counsel or student government. Or write a well researched editorial for the schools newspaper. When things get political between students and administration, the students almost always prevail.

You know what would actually be a fantastic idea? If your school has official clubs I would start the Hammock Club. Find an outdoorsy professor to be your clubs adviser. Have organized hangs as fund raisers. Hanging marathons that last 48 hours without leaving your hammocks. That sort of thing. Once it is official the cops will probably end up having to pay overtime to assign officers to your events.
    Excellent idea. Although this is a community college i go too...it is enormous by population and physical area. I think the best route to go is through the students themselves. Through SGA, present the problem and facts with the collective academic studies there we could prove there is no problem at all.

Also...before I would hang there on my lunch breaks (I've done is many times before and never had a problem) that pavilion was not even used...other than a giant ashtray for smokers and a shaded crapping area for the birds.

Images
    i agree it should be illegal.
    parks, campuses and picnic areas are no places for hammocks. no places for tents or tarps either. if you want to camp, go to a camp site. i know this won't be popular, but come on, if you allow hammocks you must allow all other forms of camping.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    If they walked up to the hammock and discovered it were a professor hanging they would have bid him good day and walked on past. Students are usually seen as the enemy to campus police.
    Nope, as a professor at my university, I have been denied permission to hang my hammock on campus. So they do it even to profs!

The real blame lies not with the universities, but with the suit-happy lawyers who have turned our country into a land of people who think that when they do stupid things and injure themselves, someone else with big pockets should pay. When I do something stupid, I know darn well who is responsible, and yes, I do end up paying - usually in more ways than one!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    i agree it should be illegal.
    parks, campuses and picnic areas are no places for hammocks. no places for tents or tarps either. if you want to camp, go to a camp site. i know this won't be popular, but come on, if you allow hammocks you must allow all other forms of camping.
    That is an absolutely awful analogy. Hammocks can be used for lounging or for sleeping. So can lawn chairs. You can ban camping without banning hammocks.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Perhaps we should not allow picnics either because if you spread a blanket, have some lunch and lie down, you might fall asleep. You could sleep through a class. Get struck by lighting. Become a loiterer!

What harm is there in hanging a hammock to spend your lunch reading/studying that merits labeling it illegal?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    You can ban camping without banning hammocks.
    no you can't. somebody will always take it to the extreme.
    why can i not relax in my tent?
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I just like the story....that's about all I gotta say about that.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    8X10 all purp tarp
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    12ft dble webbing
    I bet if you set up a tent on campus they wouldn't say anything...their is no liability in that...it sounds like the whole problem is if he falls and gets hurt, not that they are scared he is going to fall asleep.
    God saw all that he had made, and it was very good.

Genesis 1:31

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Images
    Wow, that must have been frustrating! I'm sure you can understand where they're coming from, but that doesn't make it any less irritating.

There's a lot of stuff going on in college mall areas that's dangerous, but they rarely stop it, for example: frisbee, football or baseball catch, bike riding on sidewalks or over lawns, protests and marches, independent religious or political groups setting up shop on sidewalks, skateboarding.

It seems like you got singled out for being alone and being sedentary, and that's sounds really frustrating, in my opinion.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by grampa View Post
    Nope, as a professor at my university, I have been denied permission to hang my hammock on campus. So they do it even to profs!
    e!
    I say set up a class experiment . . . get it approved . . . with a letter of . . .

have a number of students involved in the experiment . . .

. . . when security arrives . . . give the scientific low-down and Baffle with Bull durum . . .

as you present the letter from the Dean . . .
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast