Hammock
    Danger Bird
    Tarp
    Varies with season
    Insulation
    UGQ Everything
    Suspension
    Webbing Suspension
    As usual someone of "authority" trying to control a minority mass (I don't mean minority as in race here) It always boils down to someone trying to control something they don't like, or feel should be changed, not allowed, goes against their values system, etc, etc.

They were probably jealous because you looked so rested and relaxed and they had to be "on duty" all day and chase after the frat boys and not be inside their little guard shack watching T.V.
    I miss my 4.8Lb base weight as a ground dweller...But I sure DON'T MISS the ground.

Hammock
    GT UL Mod
    Tarp
    ZPacks and WB Edge
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    Suspension
    webbing, triglide
    Images
    To piggyback off Bradley's idea... Get the civil engineering majors, and physics majors to do a longterm experiment based on applied forces and the natural degredation of building materials in the more humid than average florida climate. For instance, build wooden, mosonry, and metal hammock stands and have them be laid in by various weights of people; for various periods of time; at various angles. Then record the change in condition of said materials. Just make sure you get your usual hanging time slot as a participant
    What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. - C.S. Lewis

Hammock
    DIY/Hammock Bliss/GT UL
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    diy uq
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    If he were to ask the college to determine if it is indeed against the rules or not, he then can know if it's o.k. to hang in the future. The last thing any of us should want is to give hammocks a bad name. If there is a good reason (and that can be wildly subjective) to not allow it, then the issue can be put to rest. At the end of the day, no matter how much tuition you pay, the campus of a college that you attend isn't your property to do with what you want. Sometimes there are very good reasons for rules to be in place (even if it is to protect stupid people from themselves and an institution from stupid people).

On another note, it's fairly inaccurate to draw a one to one relationship between a hammock and a tent. One of the best things about a hammock is that it's a tent, a chair, a couch, a bed..While most of us do use our hammocks for camping, many of us don't limit them to use only for camping. I've never met anybody that like to spend a lazy afternoon relaxing with a book in their tent.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567