Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Images

Hangin' at Burning Man

I will be participating in the revelry at Burning Man this year for the first time and wanted to bring my hammock. Supporting it out on the playa should be fairly easy proposition with supports being either pounded or dug into the ground. My question is if anyone here has hung out there (in a hammock) and if so, what would you suggest I use for supports?

Thanks.

SE

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I'm planning to go too so I'm curious about what feedback you get.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Just know that when the wind blows, it blows strong...with lots and lots of sand...

Hammock
    HH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    i've not hung out there, but i wouldn't rely on the ground for sinking something into it ... i'd be more inclined to setup some sort of tripod on one end and tie the other end onto your car

you'll probably want a larger tarp with doors ... i'd get the bottom edge of the tarp as close to the ground as possible ... super windy ... sand is going to be an issue

sounds awesome though, have fun!

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I would suggest a(multiple?) large poly tarp with the aluminized layer on one side for heat management. More UV resistant, more shade, if it gets stolen/ripped you're not out much, you don't get your good camping gear all dusty and worn.

PF
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Maccat ultra
    Insulation
    incubator+burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Group camp with some folks that have a steel geodesic dome, my camp had a big 40' one and 5 20' ones. Makes a great support for a hammock, and you can put some serious tarps over the sides to help shelter from the wind and sun.

Bring a cheap hammock too, I would imagine that alkali dust would be hell on silnylon. I wouldn't bring my WBBB. People keep saying "sand" but the stuff that blows through the air out there is not sand, sand would be a relief. This is super fine particles of alkali dust that will impregnate itself into EVERYTHING. Every burn I've gone to (went 5 years, between 1999-2004) I spent at least 5 hours with a gallon of vinegar mixed into a giant tub of water cleaning dust out of my stuff, simply washing it will not do it, it gets into and sticks to everything. Even after the vinegar treatment the stuff still looks "playafied"

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    check out this link or just search "Burning Man Hammock" on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ3gyCR23EI

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    First, Build a 40 foot purple polyethylene caterpillar. tie one end to that. Next mentally materialize a spinning titanium rainbow double helix rising out of the sand. Tie the other end to that.

S

OP - Sun, wind, alkali and water needs. Those are the 4 things you need to contend with. Easy to get fried and you will have that dust in every exposed area eventually. You need to bring a lot of water and store it somewhere. The wind can HOWL several times a day.

A lightweight prefab "house" can alleviate a lot of discomfort and help secure your gear.
    Check out the village made with silver-sided insulation boards. I forget what it is called - very cool and pretty inexpensive to make.

If you were to lay down a blue poy sheet, an 8x8 famework of bamboo or pipe on top of that to attach the insulated boards and hang your hammock, then you would have some relief from the heat, a little privacy if needed and less alkali dust in you and your stuff. It will also keep your water cooler. You could go bigger depending on your vehicle and funds and live large. Remeber tall ceilings make a smaller space feel more open.

Hammock
    Blackbird dl1.0
    Tarp
    12' GG
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Webbing
    It sounds you are maybe thinking about using the wrong tool for the job. Unless you are looking to "prove a point" maybe a tent would be the better option in this case?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast