Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images

Angry The illogical over rule the logical.

Officially banned from hanging on campus today. I had not one....not two....but three security guards approach me and tell me I had to take it down. I politely asked as to the reason, rule and campus policy they are citing for this.

They tell me this "Its just against college rules" I respond with "which one?" They reply "It makes a liability for the campus if your cord there *points to the 7/64 AMSTEEL-BLUE WHOOPIES* breaks you could sue"

I was almost offended at the utterance of cord. All my suspension is climbing-spec or greater except the ENO.

Not wanting to argue the flaw in logic and blatant ignorance on there part I packed up my things and headed to class early. A chemistry class...full of face melting, flame throwing chemicals. Yet the hammock is the greater liability.

They should read the rules. They pulled the liability thing out of thin air (checked, does not exist) By being a student you hold the school HARMLESS for any and all injuries you do to yourself or their negligence. Second point by being a student my tuition pays for the maintence of the hurricane rated, telephone pole constructed student pavilion, their salary, the golf carts they are on, AND insurance for such accidents....just in case.

Any advice on educating these people and regaining, what i feel is, essentially my(our/student use) pavilion for recreation and relaxation?

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm afraid there is no such thing as educating the stupid.

Keep a copy of the rule book with you, and have them show you what the rules they are citing and that if they can't, you'll submit a formal complaint with the univeristy for harassment... As they are hassling you for NOT VIOLATING any rules. That's what I'd do personally but I don't mind rockin' the boat to stand up for principle, like not being able to be bullied just because the security guards wear a badge and are bored. They probably figure it's safer to hassle someone with a hammock
    Last edited by Red Wing; 02-15-2011 at 20:09. Reason: illiterate

Images
    I think you'd need to take this up with someone above them to get anywhere.

Never argue with stupid, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    "blue"poly tarp...
    Suspension
    prusik and ropes
    Images
    since you seem to be in science, you could as an annex to you complaint show them that the "cord" they were pointing at could easily stand the golf cart they came on...

chris
    why should I have a rock, a root or anything else hurting my back in camping?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    is there a rule preventing the use of "eye" bolts in dorm walls?

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Luke's LB HG hex
    Insulation
    HG TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    SlingRings/Straps
    Images
    Thats a bunch of %@#$! I guess you'd prob get in trouble for refusing their orders. I'd take that to the top.
    "He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Please check out the link below to show your love for hammocks!www.zazzle.com/hammocklife

Images
    just so you know, you can not hang in greyhound stations either.
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu
    If they walked up to the hammock and discovered it were a professor hanging they would have bid him good day and walked on past. Students are usually seen as the enemy to campus police.

In University situations you almost never get anywhere by going "higher up." You are better off taking it to a student counsel or student government. Or write a well researched editorial for the schools newspaper. When things get political between students and administration, the students almost always prevail.

You know what would actually be a fantastic idea? If your school has official clubs I would start the Hammock Club. Find an outdoorsy professor to be your clubs adviser. Have organized hangs as fund raisers. Hanging marathons that last 48 hours without leaving your hammocks. That sort of thing. Once it is official the cops will probably end up having to pay overtime to assign officers to your events.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Arguing with the guards won't do any good. And trying to skirt the rules will probably be taken as argumentative.

What if you volunteered to build a hammock stand in the pavillion? Perhaps one of the free-standing types made from pipes. That would offer sincerity, while being constructive and productive.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast