Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MacCat/Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Go Lite/3S Incu

three season quilts in the summer

I have always thought of three season gear as gear to be used in spring, summer, fall. But I see a lot of people on this site use their three season quilts for fall, winter, spring. I have a three season Incubator that I planed on using for summer hiking. Now I am starting to wonder if I would be better off with a summer Incubator. How many people here use their three season Incubator or other three season quilts in the summer?

What about the shorter 3/4 quilts? When used in the summer do people still feel the need for a pad under their feet? I don't really buy the argument that a shorter quilt saves weight if you then have to carry a foot pad. I would however consider a shorter quilt if I didn't need a foot pad for summer hiking.

Thanks
    Last edited by ulyssesjones; 02-16-2011 at 11:23.

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    The "foot pad" could double as your sit pad.
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Well a 3 season in theory could be a four season depending on how you supplement in the winter with clothing or how bare you sleep in the summer . It also depends if you are a hot or cold sleeper. I find that my 3S incubator works best in spring and fall leaving winter up to my winter crowsnest and summer up to my summer crows nest. If the luxery is their to have multiple quilts for different seasons then I say go for it. Other wise either venting your 3S in the summer a whole lot or layering up some clots in the winter can easily allow your 3S incubator to be more flexible. Some whom use the 3S in winter get a bit of over stuff to boost the rating. IT also depends if your summer are 101 with 100% humidity or if summer is high 60's with zero humidity. Lots of factors. A quilt however is extremely versatile when adding layers of clothing to it or venting it to where its barely touching the bottom of the hammock. I love my 3/4, its just as easy IMHO to vent as the incubator. The biggest penalty you will have is having to carry more weight. But get out in your back yard and test it out. Thats the best way to know
    hope this helped
    LRR

Quote Originally Posted by ulyssesjones View Post
    I have always thought of three season gear as gear to be used in spring, summer, fall. But I see a lot of people on this site use their three season quilts for fall, winter, spring. I have a three season Incubator that I planed on using for summer hiking. Now I am starting to wonder if I would be better off with a summer Incubator. How many people here use their three season Incubator or other three season quilts in the summer?

What about the shorter 3/4 quilts? When used in the summer do people still feel the need for a pad under their feet? I don't really buy the argument that a shorter quilt saves weight if you then have to carry a foot pad. I would however consider a shorter quilt if I didn't need a foot pad for summer hiking.

Thanks
    p.s. I bring a foot pad in the summer to a) sit on b) use under my feet if it gets unexpectedly cold c) my pack frame

I do not generally sleep with the pad unless its below 40 night time temps in summer.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    I use the 3 season yeti for 3 seasons. I use a cut down gossamer gear thinlight pad for the feet which only adds 2oz to the set up. My feet get cold at night without it.
    "If you give a monkey a gun and he shoots someone, you dont blame the monkey"

The end of the world is not coming in December, it is happening now in my living room. - TFC Rick

http://watermonkey.net/

Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RaulPerez1?feature=mhee

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Seasons depend on climate. In GA, 3 season gear works for 4 seasons, except you usually don't need any gear in in summer. Lows in the 80s means no top or bottom insulation for me.

I use 3 season under quilts up to temps in the 70s and vent. On the top, I use summer weight top quilt at those temps.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    My three season temps are such that I need 20F gear in the summer. Elevation and geography have a huge role in determining your needs. If I weren't going to the high reaches of the Sierra Nevada, I would probably change up some, but yes, I use my down quilts all the time. Don't let the season determine your gear - let the destination and the conditions determine what you take.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    I use my Leighlo 3 season from 25*to 65*. Creative suspension and gapping is the answer
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow, Darian
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a winter set, a summer set, and a 3 (2) season set for fall and spring.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    LeighLo Summer UQ
    Suspension
    Whuppah Slangs
    Quote Originally Posted by nacra533 View Post
    In GA, 3 season gear works for 4 seasons, except you usually don't need any gear in in summer. Lows in the 80s means no top or bottom insulation for me.
    Yup. Alabama too.
    “In a perfect world, you and I wouldn't exist. So let's not hope for one.” - Ze Frank
    pinemountaintrail.org | madebymillcreek.com

• + New Posts