Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies

March 15 to 31 - North AZ and South UT - input appreciated

Hi all
    This spring, I'll be taking my family again for a camping adventure road trip to Northern AZ and Southern UT

I've done this area a handful of times myself, usually camping at National parks, established campsites. As a family, we did this area a couple years ago, virtually all national park camping. I think the boys racked up 6 or 7 junior ranger badges last time .

Well...
    -The boys are a little more capable now (and less interested in Jr. Ranger )
    -We'll all have hammocks and appropriate cold weather gear
    -We'd like to do some different things this time, maybe camp outside the parks more

For those of you who have lived/traveled in this area, I humbly ask you to take a few moments to recommend your "must camp" locations in this area.

Our criteria will be
    - drive in (light 4x4)...or
    - light hike from drive (an hour or less)
    - ability to use our new powers of hammock camping
    - Beauty and Peace...

Our loose plan:
    We'll be spending a few nights at Mather in GC for sure
    Seen lots of Moab, maybe consider Canyonlands area this time
    Fruita and Zion were nice
    Hope to spend some time in Millard County for fossils and gemstone collecting again.

If anyone has any suggestions, many thanks in advance...

I'd offer to hang with anyone in the area for that time frame, but I'd hate to bring our family cacophony your way

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ...must be some Utah hangers out there....

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    ...For those of you who have lived/traveled in this area, I humbly ask you to take a few moments to recommend your "must camp" locations in this area.

Our criteria will be
    - drive in (light 4x4)...or
    - light hike from drive (an hour or less)
    - ability to use our new powers of hammock camping
    - Beauty and Peace... ...
    I'm sorry I don't have much for you that meets your criteria. Most of the places I visit will be above 8000' and covered in snow until May and sometimes June. Your dates are a little early.
    I do like the Escalante to Boulder stretch of hwy 12. Hell's Backbone Rd was a good place to spot Mule Deer and Elk before the hunt. Calf Creek is a short hike with some cool things to checkout along the way.
    Hopefully someone else that is more familiar with southern Utah can help you out.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I'm sorry I don't have much for you that meets your criteria. Most of the places I visit will be above 8000' and covered in snow until May and sometimes June. Your dates are a little early.
    I do like the Escalante to Boulder stretch of hwy 12. Hell's Backbone Rd was a good place to spot Mule Deer and Elk before the hunt. Calf Creek is a short hike with some cool things to checkout along the way.
    Hopefully someone else that is more familiar with southern Utah can help you out.
    Many thanks, appreciate the input. It is early...it can be a plus though, since even the "crowded" places can be quiet.

New Member runningfromseptember's Avatar
    Southern Utah is beautiful, and one of my favorite places. My favorite hike by far is Coyote Gulch in the Escalante River drainage. It is an awesome hike, that choosing where you want to start or end, can be anywhere between around 20 miles to 5 miles. It is a pretty easy hike, and can be a day hike even. Although I would recommend taking a 3 day trip. There aren't a whole lot of places to hang, but there are tons of sandy beaches that are nice for sleepin on. If you are going in mid to late march, you should be earlier than flash floods too, which aren't a huge thing in the area, but they can be scary (we've got caught in a few). Snow canyon by St. George is a pretty fun place too. I haven't spent a lot of time camping in millard but sanpete county is close and has some really awesome landscape. Maple canyon (by moroni ut) is an extremely beautiful place, and a haven for rock climbing and rappelling if you're into that. Plenty of places to hang there. They have a campground or just camp outside of the campground. Fairview canyon is really pretty too.

Hammock
    Hennessy (with mods)
    Tarp
    standard HH
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    standard (for now)
    Northern Arizona - Southern Utah.
    Lucky you. That area is a favorite of ours. My wife and I "discovered" that area a few years ago and have been back several times. Love the high desert / Colorado plateau.

Our favorite areas are the Grand Canyon (North Rim) up to Moab. Unfortunately, I do not think that the North Rim is open until mid May. The Kiabab National Forest is just outside the National Park and as you may know, you can camp just about anywhere in a National Forest. We spent an amazing few days camped on the rim of the canyon there. I mean actually sitting on the rim, dangling our feet over the edge. That was something! Not to mention that there are plenty of trees to hang hammocks from in forests. And we didn't see another person the whole time.

Moab is an outdoor people's mecca. Hiking, bicycleing, 4-wheeling the slick rock, floating down the Colorado, just soaking up the Sun type of place. Arches National Park is 5 miles north of town and Canyonlands National Park is just 45 minutes away. Both are so different than what you see in the east. If the temperature gets a bit much for you, grab your hammocks, hop in the car and within an hour you can be in the woods in the LaSal Mountains above 10,000 feet.

I hope you enjoy your time in the area. My wife and I always do. Oh and if you don't have a particular agenda for getting from one place to another, pick up a book on Petroglyphs in the southwestern US and use that as a guide for getting from point A to point B. Southern Utah and Northern Arizona are covered in petroglyphs and you learn a lot of history by pulling off the side of the road for 15 minutes to see art carved in rocks that are hundreds of years old.

Enjoy.

Dave

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Running - Thanks fo the response. I've not been to Escalante, I'd really like to go. There are also some slot canyons in the general area I'd like to take the boys to (Peek a Boo and Spooky Gulch). I had to skip those last time around due to high winds.

Dave - Many thanks as well. I've head Kaibab has some nice camping outside the park. I wonder, where do you park your car if you were going to stay in the forest? Being able to camp so close to the canyon sounds like quite a thrill. If you have more info on where you were, entry/exit, that would be a great help...

Jim

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    I would recommend areas around Kolob Canyon. You can also visit Grafton, a ghost town, outside of Rockville a few miles before the entrance to Zions. If the intent is to hang there, I would head outside of the area where the trees are not limited to Cedars.

North of the Colorado River in Moab, is a frontage road that heads south that has nice trees to hang from, and caves to also stay in. It has been several years since I have toured that area, but it was nice, and the canyon walls provided shelter from the wind, or shade from the heat.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    I would recommend areas around Kolob Canyon. You can also visit Grafton, a ghost town, outside of Rockville a few miles before the entrance to Zions. If the intent is to hang there, I would head outside of the area where the trees are not limited to Cedars.

North of the Colorado River in Moab, is a frontage road that heads south that has nice trees to hang from, and caves to also stay in. It has been several years since I have toured that area, but it was nice, and the canyon walls provided shelter from the wind, or shade from the heat.
    I've been to Moab lots of times, not sure I've seen this area...sounds really cool. If you have any more info about how to pin down this area, please post..

Jim

Images
    Well last night I started to post with directions to Lockett Meadow and Hart Prairie near Flagstaff, AZ. For spectacular hanging from Aspen trees, depending on the snow pack end of March. Though I think right now the snow pack is pretty darn low, so if things don't change a lot it would probably be fine by March.

But then I remembered the recent fires around Flagstaff, so I don't know what kind of damage was done where. And while searching around for some good directions for you to Lockett Meadow, I found a NF notice from Oct 2010 that said Lockett Meadow area and some other areas on the San Francisco Peaks were still closed related to the fire damage, with a $5000 fine for entering the area.

Maybe Dejoha and other north AZ residents can fill us in. If fire took this area, then nature took one of her most beautiful delights from us. One that was also custom made for hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast