Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Urenylon 10'x10'

New guy getting started with a setup, need help.

Hi all, as you can probably tell I am pretty new. I purchased an ENOS SingleNest a couple months back cause I was able to get a discount, and at the time I wasn't really aware of what all was needed to hang the thing.

After looking around here, it seems there are as many different ways as there are brands of hammocks, so I have to admit, I am a little lost. In an effort to just pick something and go with it, I ordered a pair of whoopie slings and a metric buttload of 1" webbing, but aside from that I am not sure what else I might need.

Can I get by with just the whoopie slings and webbing if I sew some loops into the webbing, or do I really need to go with something else in there, either some rings or a biner or what? Any suggestions? I would like to get rid of the huge s-rings that came with the hammock, so can I just attach the whoopie slings to the rope that is already attached, or do I need to do something else?

Then we come to ridgelines, which from what I am gathering go one of two ways; either a permanent fixture on the hammock ensuring (generally) the right amount of sag each time, or one just for the tarp and to hang stuff from. Is there a preferred method, especially with a hammock like mine, or is it pretty much a personal choice?

Thanks for any help!

Derek

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    You are on the right track with whoopie slings. Most people ditch the rope altogether. You can feed the fixed loop of the whoopie sling through the end channels of the hammock and larks head it. For the webbing, all you need is a loop on the end of it, either sewn or made using a knot. Put a carabiner on the loop or feed the webbing through the loop to secure it to the tree. To attach the adjustable loop of the whoopie sling to the webbing, use a marlin spike hitch. This is a popular suspension option. Check out Grizz's 3 part primer on suspensions in the sticky section of the suspension forum.

A structural ridgeline as you mentioned allows you to get a consistent amount of sag. It is also useful for hanging things or for supporting a bugnet. Most times it is too close to the hammock to support a tarp. A separate continuous ridgeline is used for the tarp. You don't need a structural ridgeline but it helps you get a consistent set up.

Check out HF member Shug's 10 part series on essentials for noobs.
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-17-2011 at 08:22.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Derek, some searching on here will get you your best results. Well, that and trial and error. Personally, I have an Eno and I removed the heavy rope and S hooks that came with it replacing them with just amsteel. You could use your 1" webbing as well in the channel - just thread the webbing through. I chose amsteel because of the ability to splice the line and then bury the ends without worrying about knots. You could go from the hammock with your new amsteel in the channel larks headed to a ring and then connect your whoopies to the ring for ease of adjustment. Most folks here use 1" webbing as tree huggers and yes, many of us sew loops in the ends to which we add a Dutch Clip or a standard biner. Check out dejoha's illustrations about simple hammock setups.

Regarding ridgelines, the one for your hammock does ensure that consistent hang and can be attached to the rings I mentioned. Again, lots of trial and error. Best of luck.

+1 on what odds said!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Derek,

Make a 4' or so section of your webbing and sew a loop in both ends. Make a loop to loop connection with one end of your webbing to the fixed loop on your whoopies. Should look from one end to the other like... webbing loop> webbing> Webbing loop+whoopie loop>Whoopie.

wrap webbing around tree, feed whoopie and the webbing loop it's attached to through the other loop, and connect whoopie adjustable end to the carabiner on the eno.

That's what I do. It's really simple, but, as always, HYOH (Hang Your Own Hammock)

S

Hammock
    Ask me tomorrow
    Tarp
    Old Blue
    Insulation
    DIY, HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Agnostic
    Images
    Have you seen Shug's Hammock Hangin How To Series? It'll give you a great overview/summary of the ins and outs of The Hammock.

Link to Part 1 of the series: http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemer...44/d7NZVqpBUV0

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY IX 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images

Noob like you...

Derek,

I am a relative noob like you and own an ENO DN. It was a gift that has led to a rather "unhealthy" obsession. I am sure my wife wants to take it back.

If you are seeking direct answers you will likely not find them, rather, you will find a wealth of knowledge. I find this an awesome part of this community.

I concur that the ENO suspension system is lacking for my needs as well. I learned about whoopie slings, tree huggers, AmSteel, DynaGlide, webbing stretch, etc. from the great folks on these forums. DIY on this project is a rewarding (and relatively inexpensive) first endeavor.

For me, biggest epiphany was that the "sag" of a gathered end hammock is what makes it more comfortable. I spent a couple of very uncomfortable nights before figuring this out with the help of Hammock Forums. Long winded way of confirming what others have responded. WhoopieSlings.com has a great illustration and info. I have found, for my setup, a 103" structural ridge line feels best.

But now, you may find that a ridge line makes using your hammock as a chair a little less convenient. So begins your next quest for the perfect "removable" ridge line. and so on, and so on....

Hang your own hang!

DudeDowne

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    But now, you may find that a ridge line makes using your hammock as a chair a little less convenient. So begins your next quest for the perfect "removable" ridge line. and so on, and so on....

Hang your own hang!

DudeDowne
    But wait, you can have your Eno with a fixed ridgeline and then get one of these!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY IX 3/4 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Images
    Syb,

Nice....more gear!!!

Let's not scare Derek off with all of the gear compulsions yet. Did we mention that a 90L pack is mandatory?

DudeDowne

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest
    Tarp
    Urenylon 10'x10'
    Quote Originally Posted by DudeDowne View Post
    Syb,

Nice....more gear!!!

Let's not scare Derek off with all of the gear compulsions yet. Did we mention that a 90L pack is mandatory?

DudeDowne
    I am not new to the compulsory gear buying. The last few months have seen most of the paycheck go out to new gear.

As far as the pack, I have an 85L, but I am really trying to bring everything down to be able to live out of the Maxped Monsoon, which is much, much smaller. Not ultralight per se, but defnitely minimalist-ish.

Next week I will be in Charlotte, so if anyone has any suggestions for awesome places to pick up gear there, I am definitely interested.

And to make everything nicer, I just got shipping notices for the whoopie slings and the webbing I ordered. Now I need to figure out how to do some hardcore sewing. (Not a sentence I ever imagined I would utter.)

Hammock
    eno single
    Tarp
    HH hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Down SB
    Suspension
    HH straps/Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekH View Post
    Now I need to figure out how to do some Hardcore Thread Injection
    fixd....

S