Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    Hello forum,

First off i want to say that i HAVE read all of the threads on the walmart pad. I just have a few questions:

1. People say this pad is extremely uncomfortable. How bad could it be?
    2. If you are an experienced hammocker, would you still use this pad and not fork out hundreds of dollars for an underquilt, even if it was a little uncomfortable?

I have heard people say the REI pad is WAY more comfortable and has the same insulating qualities as the Walmart pad. So, comfort wise, i would consider getting this instead. Thoughts? People claim the WM Pad goes down to NINE degrees with two pads. I find that amazing for the price! It's almost too good to be true. I have a Coleman Inflatable, and i don't seem to slide off of it as much, so i expect the Walmart pad to be somewhat similar. Any additional information about this pad is welcomed and appreciated. I cant get enough information about it!

Thanks,

TheTorch.

A experienced hammocker would have an UQ by the time he was a "experienced hammocker"

there is a reason why ppl go right from a wallyworld blue pad to a UQ
    yes a pad is a great and cheap way to get into hammocks and there is nothing wrong with a WW pad... BUT
    once you try a UQ for the first time...there is just NO going back
    it's like going from Reg TV to HDTV.... once you make the jump you just can't go back

Don't get me wrong...there are ppl that have used WW pads for years and are fine with it...and there is nothing wrong with this...to each there own .... but once you get that first UQ...you will know what i'm talking about
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

So here comes the problem: UQ's are so dang expensive! 200 dollars more than the hammock itslef? I would really want one, but price is so out there.

Is there an UQ that will take me down to about 30's and STILL be SOMEWHAT cheap? If not, (hehe)could any of you recommend an UQ? Ive heard that JRB is the best, but the prices are a bit high compared to other companies.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTorch View Post
    So here comes the problem: UQ's are so dang expensive! 200 dollars more than the hammock itslef? I would really want one, but price is so out there.

Is there an UQ that will take me down to about 30's and STILL be SOMEWHAT cheap? If not, (hehe)could any of you recommend an UQ? Ive heard that JRB is the best, but the prices are a bit high compared to other companies.
    Have you looks at AHE ... Paul carries the KAQ line he has a 2/3 Synth UQ for $125 that is rated at 30F for most users

thats about as cheap as you are going to get ... $200 is cheap for a Down UQ... the first time i seen the prices for UQ i said the same thing...along with most ppl
    but after making many quilts ... most quilts are priced just about right
    for what goes into making one

if your a DIY guy you can make one pretty cheap if you "dirtbag" for ripstop and down ... but to be honest once your factor in your time..your paying the same price for one
    but i would look at AHE for one...here is the link
    Paul is very good to deal with along with all the other vendors on the forums

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway:UGQ WD
    Insulation
    UGQ,KAQ,Tewa
    Suspension
    strap/buckles
    Images
    Well I guess I have done the same thing. I have built up to now I have an UQ. I did buy AHE quilts (good product)and have had it down to I guess 28. Before the quilts I slept on the truck solar shield in my HH. When I got me blackbird, I used a thermarest prolite 3 or 4 with a little air blown in it. Actually had temps go down to 27 that weekend. I guess it really depends at what time of year you camp and what you will need for insulation. I can say this, sleeping with a UQ is pretty darn comfortable over sleeping on a pad.

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I use a DD Underblanket. Last I checked it was $119 shipped from the UK to the US. Don't be fooled by the "underblanket" terminology, it's a synthetic UQ, pure and simple.

I like it a lot but it weighs about 2 lbs and packs down just a tiny bit smaller than my Eureka Casper 15F synthetic SB. For backpacking where weight is any concern I do "go back" to a pad. I cut mine to taper at the ends to help them fit in the hammock, in a double layer hammock they're actually kind of nice to use as they keep the hammock spread-out. I have no comfort issues using the pad but I don't think I'd like to use it with a top quilt and in a single layer hammock

I use SB's so my pad or UQ only has to supplement the bottom of the bag. With a Molly Mac hammock sock, DD UQ, WM pad and my -30 bag I did this hang down into the -30F range.

Hammock
    Byers of Maine cheap and light
    Insulation
    Therma Rest
    On this subject I have to dissagree with GLP I have used an UQ and I prefer a pad to it even a cheap WW pad which I used for the first year of hammock camping. I now have a 3/4 length rei I think it is called ultralite it is a blowup pad and I love and it was about 50 dollars. With this pad and a small butt pad for around the fire for my feet and a 15 degree I have slept comfortably in the teens. Oh and this is in a cheap byers of maine sleeping bag.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I use a WallyWorld pad as it does the job and it cost under $15 bucks vrs $200 + for a UQ. One day when my budget allows I will get a UQ but until them I use what I have.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

use down bag with zip-open footbox

Easy compromise. Buy a Kelty Lightyear down bag with a zip-open footbox, or any down bag with a zip-open footbox. The Kelty Lightyear bags are often on sale for well under $100. Get the 20 degree model. Get the long size. Pull your hammock through the bag. Keep the bag pushed down to the foot. Get in the hammock. Reach down and slide the bag up around you. Zip as far up as you can. Use the velcro tab to pull the hood area up tight to the hammock. There you have it. Top quilt and underquilt for less than $100. Cozy warm. Ultra lightweight. The portion of the bag beneath you will actually keep you warm, compared to sleeping in that bag on the ground, where you will compress the down beneath you. You don't need a pad inside the hammock in this setup, so you won't wake up on a clammy ccf pad. You probably carry rain gear on most trips. Put the jacket and pants on as your underwear, to create your own vapor barrier, to keep expired moisture from adding weight to the bag. If it's going to be less than 20 degrees, pull some of your clothing on top of the rain top/pants. No reason why you can't be comfortable down to zero F or below. Don't forget a good warm beanie or balaclava, since the bag's hood won't wrap your head as completely as if you were tent camping in the bag. You can zip the footbox mostly closed, but if a tiny bit of air flow gets to your feet, wear socks. Keep the hammock inside the bag and compress the bag into its factory-supplied compression sack. Stows away easy-peasy. The drawbacks? you are inside a mummy bag, and can't sprawl out and get a diagonal lay as easily as if you didn't have the bag around you. To some, that's a big deal. Not to me. I'm an ultralight backpacker, and I value the ultralight and ultra affordable nature of this setup, with my Grand Trunk Nano 7 super light hammock and whoopie sling suspension with straps and sticks found on the ground for toggles.

Hammock
    WL "Night Owl"
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WL UQ, WL King TQ
    Suspension
    UL Straps/WS/Tog
    Here is a 46" x 58" synthetic UQ for $85.00. It states its rated to 35 deg. I have the 800+ down version of this one and am very happy. http://www.wildernesslogics.com/Unde...-Quilt-SYN.htm

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I have tried the walmart pad, the thin flat one, the egg crate,a wittled down foam mattress pad, a supper shelter with a pad and space blanket and I keep going back to my self inflating mummy pad $34 from Academ and my ECW bag. I like being able to just hang the hammock ( no side tie outs) place the pad and bag and hit the sack.. for me I like it simple and quick.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast