byer traveller lite
    Tarp
    etowah outfitters
    Insulation
    Kelty Down SB 20F
    Suspension
    straps & biners
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    I like being able to just hang the hammock ( no side tie outs) place the pad and bag and hit the sack.. for me I like it simple and quick.
    YES! I totally agree.
    How's it hangin'

I have tried the walmart pad, the thin flat one, the egg crate,a wittled down foam mattress pad, a supper shelter with a pad and space blanket and I keep going back to my self inflating mummy pad $34 from Academ and my ECW bag. I like being able to just hang the hammock ( no side tie outs) place the pad and bag and hit the sack.. for me I like it simple and quick.
    Hi! Just seeing this as I am reading through the posts to figure out what I want to get for my own insulation as a newbie.. I have not heard of 'Academ' could you explain further (is it abbreviated?) .. and where you got it? Also what is 'ECW' short for? I have a decent light weight REI down sleeping bag (Mojave).. could I slip a mummy pad in like you described without it having a slot for it like a Big Agnus does? Alternatively I was testing out my hammock set up today and found a way to wrap it around from under the hammock and over it (like one poster was saying about doing that with a bag with a footbox that unzips) that wasn't too bad.. But haven't tried it out overnight.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I think Academ was supposed to be Academy, I would guess he got it at Acedemy Sports.

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    Sorry about my typo ..I am still lerning how to spell.
    Yes.. I ment to type Academy Sports and Outdoors.

I am still a big fan of an inflatable pad and a good sleeping bag.
    ECW is an Army Surplus bag.."Extreme Cold Weather".it is a heavy bag but warm!

This bag is a top center zipper style....I have also found a few other center zipper sleeping bags. One is 1 pound.

Not a hiker here so.I dont count the grams.......

I am gonna step out here, I am sure that the UQs are great...as is a certain hammock pushed all the time on here....as said " to each his own"
    In fact I just gave away a HH Super Shelter a few weeks ago. The SS was usless to me on its own,,after adding all the extra stuff.to it so it would work,was just way past my attention span.
    Give me my pad, my sleeping bag and my hammock....anyday....

BUt you can still enjoy your hammock, and camping with out having to drop.a.bazillion dollars......
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    As Far as the wally world pad goes, I have mine just cut done enough to lay accross my sholders to prevent that cold shoulder feel. This same cut size also serves as my support for my frameless gossimer G4 pack.
    Being a Clark owner, most of the time I don't need any underquilt at all at least down to 35 degrees. But just in case, I did purchase the cheapest underquilt I could find that was of good quality. I purchased the KAQ 2/3 Lost River Quilt. As far as the wally world pad goes, for the price--2 thumbs up. Like was said in the other threads, you can do all sort of things with the Wally World pad to make it work for you.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Quote Originally Posted by motorapido View Post
    Easy compromise. Buy a Kelty Lightyear down bag with a zip-open footbox, or any down bag with a zip-open footbox. The Kelty Lightyear bags are often on sale for well under $100. Get the 20 degree model. Get the long size. Pull your hammock through the bag. Keep the bag pushed down to the foot. Get in the hammock. Reach down and slide the bag up around you. Zip as far up as you can. Use the velcro tab to pull the hood area up tight to the hammock. There you have it. Top quilt and underquilt for less than $100. Cozy warm. Ultra lightweight. The portion of the bag beneath you will actually keep you warm, compared to sleeping in that bag on the ground, where you will compress the down beneath you. You don't need a pad inside the hammock in this setup, so you won't wake up on a clammy ccf pad. You probably carry rain gear on most trips. Put the jacket and pants on as your underwear, to create your own vapor barrier, to keep expired moisture from adding weight to the bag. If it's going to be less than 20 degrees, pull some of your clothing on top of the rain top/pants. No reason why you can't be comfortable down to zero F or below. Don't forget a good warm beanie or balaclava, since the bag's hood won't wrap your head as completely as if you were tent camping in the bag. You can zip the footbox mostly closed, but if a tiny bit of air flow gets to your feet, wear socks. Keep the hammock inside the bag and compress the bag into its factory-supplied compression sack. Stows away easy-peasy. The drawbacks? you are inside a mummy bag, and can't sprawl out and get a diagonal lay as easily as if you didn't have the bag around you. To some, that's a big deal. Not to me. I'm an ultralight backpacker, and I value the ultralight and ultra affordable nature of this setup, with my Grand Trunk Nano 7 super light hammock and whoopie sling suspension with straps and sticks found on the ground for toggles.
    Hey this looks like a good idea and I searched for the Kelty bags you mentioned but the only ones so far for at all under 100 that I could find was a synthetic version.. you did say you have down and not synthetic right? Any ideas as to where to find it as cheap as you did? I tried rigging up my down bag under and around me (before I saw your post) and it worked okay but had to clip it over me as I couldn't zip it without the footbox opening like you say.. but was rather cozy like that.. so I like this idea..

Sorry about my typo ..I am still lerning how to spell.
    Yes.. I ment to type Academy Sports and Outdoors.

I am still a big fan of an inflatable pad and a good sleeping bag.
    ECW is an Army Surplus bag.."Extreme Cold Weather".it is a heavy bag but warm!

This bag is a top center zipper style....I have also found a few other center zipper sleeping bags. One is 1 pound.
    Thanks! No problem. I found the site but did not find a mummy style inflating pad at the price you quote (found some around 50 or so).. do you know the exact model you got? And it sounds like then that you are just place the pad right in your bag without anything between you and the pad?

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    I put the pad in the hammock, then lay the s/ b on the pad and climb in..once in deflate if needed. No space blanket, no nothing else.

It doesnt matter what kind of hammock, it is in how and what you use to insulate the body.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

I put the pad in the hammock, then lay the s/ b on the pad and climb in..once in deflate if needed. No space blanket, no nothing else.

It doesnt matter what kind of hammock, it is in how and what you use to insulate the body.
    Okay, got it thanks. I was able to try another forum members set up and it was an Grand Trunk Ultra Light with a Big Agnus bag with an inflatable pad in the slot for a pad so when I moved the pad moved with me which was really comfy so I thought maybe you were referring to placing a pad IN your bag too..Have not actually tried to just put the bag on the pad in that situation but have tried a pad outside of the bag in other set ups and had it slipping around a lot that's why I was looking through these pad questions because I wanted to try to come to a similar comfort level I found with the pad in the bag set up without spending too much.. am either going to get a wide piece of CC foam (thin and wide, don't need it down to low temps) so that it would not move around and also hopefully contour to the hammock and my body somewhat .. OR go with a inflating pad and sleep bag.. OR somekind of underquilt set up that isn't too expensive (like someone posted about using a sleeping bag with an open foot box).. I did get the GT UL btw as I found it pretty comfy and such a great price!

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 single-layer
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & SOL Bivvy
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mayday View Post
    Its definately a condensation issue rather than padding issue. A Ridgerest, for example is a closed cell foam pad while a pad like you are speaking of is more of a plastic type pad. Its splitting hairs, but its the issue that you will feel clamy if there is not enough moisture escaping.....now this is all my thinking....others and you may be just fine. Even with the "truckers solar shade" there is an issue with moisture.
    I wonder why a pad causes a condensation problem in a hammock when it doesn't when used on the ground.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast