El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

UQ

thanks for the info,probably will be 2 or 3 weeks but I'll let you know how mine turns out

Hammock
    El dorado
    Tarp
    Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckles

UQ

Where does the 1/2 inch nylon strap attach on the UQ and what is it for

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I put a loop in each corner to attach the shockcord to. You could use gosgrain ribbon which is lighter if you wanted to.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    looks great to me! keep us filled in as you do more cold weather testing.
    that may be a good option, using the synthetic on the sides were down tends to settle most.
    I used this UQ last night at 13*. It worked better than I expected. I used this for the torso and a short pad for the lower legs & feet. The XP worked as I hoped by keeping more insulation at the edge of the UQ. The only downside I have is the XP is very bulky compared to the down. I usually just stuff my insulation into my pack in a trash bag and let it conform to my other items. I will be using a compression sack for this.

This combination of 1/2 UQ and Short ridgerest weighs 24 oz for bottom insulation.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Slept with the UQ last night down to 8* and never felt cold underneath. I am not sure who brought up the idea of a half quilt (Just Jeff or WBG?) but thanks. This is going to work very well putting the insulation in the torso area and no wasted areas around the legs. This one makes it to the pack, now to the next project, tarp for bridge?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I got the idea from WBG at TD, but I think I was the first to post it here with the reasons I thought it would work well for my system. Wish I had time to make a new one before Mt Rogers (still planning on going), but it looks like I'm stuck with the first prototype that I cut down from the DownHammock...works, but not pretty and I'm sure I could cut down another ounce or two.

Anyway, glad yours is working out well. I think this is gonna be my new system as well.

I'm in West Virginia right now - we were driving over the mountains on Hwy 250 last night at 6:30-8pm or so and the lowest temp we got was -1*F...told my wife she's lucky I didn't have my hammock with me or we'd be stopping right there! Missed opportunities...
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I got the idea from WBG at TD, but I think I was the first to post it here with the reasons I thought it would work well for my system. Wish I had time to make a new one before Mt Rogers (still planning on going), but it looks like I'm stuck with the first prototype that I cut down from the DownHammock...works, but not pretty and I'm sure I could cut down another ounce or two.
    The curse of the DIY, as soon as you make something you know how to improve it. I already know a couple things to make the hybrid style faster and better but this is really functional so I will put it off until next year. I was really suprised at how well this worked with my system. One observation is that the down portion warms up faster than the XP but equals out after a few minutes.

I'm in West Virginia right now - we were driving over the mountains on Hwy 250 last night at 6:30-8pm or so and the lowest temp we got was -1*F...told my wife she's lucky I didn't have my hammock with me or we'd be stopping right there! Missed opportunities...
    You mean your car did not break down and you just happened to have your hammock set up? Honey, you can have the car I will take the hammock!

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i'm listening w/ interest, but i can't help but be skeptical about how well the 1/2 quilt would work for me in really cold weather because of how my feet get cold if they aren't well protected.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    i'm listening w/ interest, but i can't help but be skeptical about how well the 1/2 quilt would work for me in really cold weather because of how my feet get cold if they aren't well protected.
    Funny you should mention that because I ended up taking off my socks last night for a couple hours and was fine. My goal with this 1/2 quilt was not to be the lightest but put more insulation in the critical areas. This allowed me to use more pad around my feet resulting in my feet being more insulated. My hammock forms a pocket that my feet are in with the pad around all sides. Before I was just using a pad for my heels to rest on and hoping socks and bag would do the rest. I realize now that I probably never really had enough insulation at these temps before. I have never used as much pad on my leg area before. My top insulation has decreased with the new setup due to truly being warm underneath. I have been hanging for years and am still learning something everytime I hang.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    Funny you should mention that because I ended up taking off my socks last night for a couple hours and was fine. My goal with this 1/2 quilt was not to be the lightest but put more insulation in the critical areas. This allowed me to use more pad around my feet resulting in my feet being more insulated. My hammock forms a pocket that my feet are in with the pad around all sides. Before I was just using a pad for my heels to rest on and hoping socks and bag would do the rest. I realize now that I probably never really had enough insulation at these temps before. I have never used as much pad on my leg area before. My top insulation has decreased with the new setup due to truly being warm underneath. I have been hanging for years and am still learning something everytime I hang.
    i understand what you're saying. i guess i'll just need to give it a try. you & the others wouldn't keep saying it was working so well if it weren't.
    but i wont give it a 1st try this weekend at mt rogers
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast