Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images

First test hang...some questions/thoughts

So I did my first test hang last night and after playing around with the set up a bit the pictures show what I ended up with which to me "looks" the way things should be.
    Initially I was suspended from two pole about 12' apart and found that I had no tension at all in the ridgeline. By pulling the suspension tighter, I was able to get better RL tension but the hammock was about 40" off the ground, even too high for me.
    I rehung about 16' apart and that is what you see in the pics.
    I didn't sleep in the BB but did lay in it quite a bit. In the pics of me in the BB, if you look at the one with my feet apart, you will see a significant "pull" on the BB leading up to the strap connection. This created quite an obstacle for my feet once I put them both in the foot box. Should this "pull be happening?
    I'm guessing that the more distance on the points of hanging allows for a better set up than using close points.
    I tried using a MEC inflatable (same as a thermarest) pad with varying amounts of air and found it to be not bad but it did move around so I have to work on that.
    Hopefully tonight or tomorrow I will spend the night. BTW, it was very comfortable and my gf even thought it was nice and she isn't much of a camper and is starting to question my sanity over my hanging desires.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    This created quite an obstacle for my feet once I put them both in the foot box. Should this "pull be happening?
    That's pretty much what I see when laying in my BB. From picture 4 it looks like you have your feet in the correct position but not your shoulders. Try more asym with your upper body. You'll know you have it right when you feel no hammock pressure on your left calf.

As for distance I prefer 12-15' and 30-35 degree strap angles. Again for me, The internal RL should be loose when laying in the hammock the tighter the internal RL the more left leg calf pressure I feel and it's harder to find that sweet spot.

hth

Images
    Looks like you're too far into the footbox. The distance from your head to the end of the hammock and from your feet to the end of the hammock should be more equal, try scooting more toward the head end, this will likely require you to set the foot end a good bit higher and the head end lower, that will make your torso feel more "level" vs "inclined". Moving that direction will also give you more legroom lengthwise and side to side.

The fabric between your legs in the 3rd pic is normal, and is why you lay diagonal in a hammock like this.

air pads will always feel like they's moving around on you, ccf pads are better in this respect, but worse in others. An underquilt beats both (IMO)
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 02-19-2011 at 14:55.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    incubator/burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopies
    Images
    Great comments and suggestions guys. I have made some changes as you suggested and that does seem to make a difference.
    Really impressed that you responded Brandon..great service, and great product.

• + New Posts