Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

My first hammock, is this a good combo?

I want to thank everyone who has helped me so far. Before I go out and start buying stuff, I'm wondering if this setup would be good for my first hammock:

TrekLight Double Hammock
    Eno Guardian Bug Net
    MacCat Deluxe Tarp

I will then hang the setup with Just Jeffs ring buckle setup.

Thanks

- JT

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Yes, that's not a bad beginning at all.

You will probably wind up cutting the bag off of the bug net and using a stuff sack. The bag is far heavier than need be for the netting.

While you've chosen some good components so far, what about insulation? Underquilt/Pads/etc?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    While you've chosen some good components so far, what about insulation? Underquilt/Pads/etc?
    Have not decided on an Underquilt yet, I want to see how I do without one first this spring. I'm also not sure what will fit on a "double". For a sleeping pad, I was thinking of a 1/4" GG ThinLight.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Just scored the MacCat Deluxe (one week old) for a really good price, you guys are the best!

- JT

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    That set-up looks great. I've got the Treklight double and it is well made.
    You mentioned this will be for your spring hanging. You might need more than a 1/4" pad. Be sure to test near home. If your using pad(s) without the underquilt, I would recommend getting a Speer SPE or making one similar. www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    Test out the hanging in the winter. That's the best time to hang IMO.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FanaticFringer View Post
    That set-up looks great. I've got the Treklight double and it is well made.
    You mentioned this will be for your spring hanging. You might need more than a 1/4" pad. Be sure to test near home. If your using pad(s) without the underquilt, I would recommend getting a Speer SPE or making one similar. www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
    Test out the hanging in the winter. That's the best time to hang IMO.
    Having lived in both New Hampshire and on the eastern seaboard (Virginia), I can tell you that spring in New Hampshire is like January in Virginia.

And I definitely agree that hammocks come into their own in the winter. Ain't nuthin like being really warm, snug, while hearing the weather all around (which may be branches snapping from the ice on them, if you're up in Shug's country).

Grizz

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    FF, I wish I still lived in Canton so I could come over and see you hammocks. My hanging will be from when the snow melts til about late October here in New England. I actually prefer the cold and tolerate it well, I wear shorts year round. Going to try it out with the 1/4" ThinLight for now and go from there. The SPE is definitely a good idea but the 1/4" ThinLight is 41" x 61".

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, plans have changed once again. I am now going with an Eno Double instead of the TrekLight. Some kind sole PM'd me with an offer I couldn't refuse. :-) This keeps getting better, you guys are great.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, my setup has now changed a little bit. My big three (pack/shelter/sleep) currently weigh in at around 7.65 lbs - this is about 4.25 lbs. heavier than my ground setup. I guess this difference isn't much if I am more comfortable like ya'll are saying.

Here is what I am looking at:

Shelter:

• Eno DoubleNest
    • MacCat Deluxe
    • Eno Guardian Bug Net

Sleep:

• JRB Katahdin (Already have and I love it)
    • ThermaRest ProLite 4-Short (will fit in my pad pocket on the back of the pack, same size closed cells will not)
    • Speer SPE 4x4

Pack:
    • Gossamer Gear Mariposa (Already have)

When I add an underquilt, not sure which one yet, I will be around 10 lbs. for the big 3. My packs recommended maximum is 25 lbs.

Images
    How much does that Eno bug net weigh? I'm thinking that might be a heavier approach than the Speer and it's included bug net? Which is a moot point if the Speer III hammock is too small for you or not on your list for some other reason.

At least for cold weather use( below 30*), I wonder if there would be any weight advantage ( or disadvantage) with a Speer Pea Pod approach? At 2.6 lbs total, it is "rated" to 20* on bottom, and as an overall sleeping bag ( by itself, PeaPod alone) for hammock use at a ( to me) very conservative 50*. I actually did into the 20*s OK with no top quilt at all, just my Cocoon hooded jacket and pants So I think I could use a significantly lighter top quilt( without the extra warm clothing) to do 20* overall, and even lighter for only 30*. In fact, a person could save a couple of ozs and some dollars by getting a less warm rated PeaPod, because I have found it so super easy to add stuff like clothing and/or space blankets or actual pads between the hammock and PeaPod. Of course, I guess you could more or less do that with any under quilt? And the pad underneath might not be quite as efficient as in the hammock, but there is zero awareness of a pad.

But again, more theoretical than practical in your case. I'm just rambling here. Though you might could use the PeaPod on the larger Eno ( works OK -after some extra rigging- on my no net Safari, a big hammock), didn't you say you needed a good bit of room? At 6'1" and 205 lbs, I sure don't feel like I have any spare room at all in the Speer if I have the PeaPod closed down tight. So if I was much wider, I don't think this would be a good combo for me. The PeaPod would need to be a smidgeon wider.
    But I don't think that would be a hard DIY mod. One extra baffle the length of the pod, filled with down, 3 or 4 " wide, attached with Velcro to the PeaPod Velcro, and there is an even wider PeaPod for the BIG boys and gals!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-12-2008 at 10:32.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast