Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffjenn View Post
    Not sure on the Vectrus.. Vectrus is a generic name for Vectran and the quality may not be as good. I don't trust any mail order site that doesn't list specifications.

- JT

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldspring View Post
    Is it just me, or does it tend to stick against treebark like a magnet? Seems like it frays pretty quickly.
    Depends on the rope you are using I would suppose. As I stated above, the Vectran made by New England Ropes adds a proprietary nylon coating to the rope making it more abrasion resistive. I've never used it in a backpacking or hammock scenario before but I have abused it quite a bit on my old 30' sailboat. I don't have plans to wrap it around the tree though, I use webbing for wrapping stuff around trees that need the high tensile strength. I have some strong yet light 2mm line that I use for tarp hanging.

- JT

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    From this link click on "line" at the top then "high tech single braids" for the specifications.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    From this link click on "line" at the top then "high tech single braids" for the specifications.
    That helps and looks comparable but the coating they put on to improve handling is optional, comes standard on New England Ropes Vectran.

I'll stick with Vectran for a little bit more.

- JT

FWIW, there's 100% Vectran, then there's Vectran core with a Polyester cover, which will be cheaper and weaker, though either will be adequate for hammocks or tarps.

The $0.79/foot 4mm West Marine Vectran is 5/32" diameter. www.McMaster.com has 1/4" Polyester covered Vectran at $1.26/foot, 1000lbs working load limit. Part# 2222T45 They also have Spectra rope, too.

Images
    tobit, the vectrus 12 is just the brand name or whatever. it is made by yale, which i think is as well known as new england. it also says it is 100% vectran, so it's not a generic fiber. it says they can add an optional polyester cover/jacket, this is not the same as the coating. the coating comes standard and is for uv and abrasion resistence. i will say that it does wear off in the areas that get knotted frequently.

i have been playing with the single braid spectra/dyneema as well. they both (single braid vectran and dyneema ) seem to be pretty close handling wise. there is a new spectra line out, amsteel blue, it is a higher grade of dyneema and is even stronger than the single braid vectran i believe.

what are the stretch characteristics for dyneema? i know there are different grades of dyneema, don't know how if this effects the stretch. also, what do you know about creep? supposedly spectra creeps, vectran doesn't. is creep stretch over time, or does it have to do with knot slippage?

also, vectran can't be melted on the ends, but i found if i put a dab of silicone on the end and work it into the tip really well, it does a great job, not as easy as melting, but pretty easy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    also, vectran can't be melted on the ends, but i found if i put a dab of silicone on the end and work it into the tip really well, it does a great job, not as easy as melting, but pretty easy.
    Thanks, WBG. I have been putting a knot on the ends and never really liked that. The only other method I have seen mention of was to use shrink tubing, but I have been too lazy to try that. The dab of silicone seems much easier, I will give it a try.

I am not sure if Tobit checks this site anymore. I think he gave up on hammocking and went back to tarping.

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    what are the stretch characteristics for dyneema? i know there are different grades of dyneema, don't know how if this effects the stretch. also, what do you know about creep? supposedly spectra creeps, vectran doesn't. is creep stretch over time, or does it have to do with knot slippage?
    From my limited experience, creep is the big reason for choosing vectran lines in sailing. Creep refers, at least in this context, to stretch in the rope under tension over time. That's what I know about creep. I also know it involves a lot of math to describe it detail; somewhere, Grizz is chomping at the bit to dumb it all down for us mortals.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneiderlein View Post
    Thanks, WBG. I have been putting a knot on the ends and never really liked that. The only other method I have seen mention of was to use shrink tubing, but I have been too lazy to try that. The dab of silicone seems much easier, I will give it a try.

I am not sure if Tobit checks this site anymore. I think he gave up on hammocking and went back to tarping.

oh, i didn't even notice this was an old thread.

as for the sil, just a dab will do, just rub it into the tip between your finger and thumb till the 12 strands break down into the individual fibers, only only takes a few seconds, but you want it totally worked in there all the way, almost like it is impregnated, just coating the outside probably won't last.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    From my limited experience, creep is the big reason for choosing vectran lines in sailing. Creep refers, at least in this context, to stretch in the rope under tension over time. That's what I know about creep. I also know it involves a lot of math to describe it detail; somewhere, Grizz is chomping at the bit to dumb it all down for us mortals.

that's what i thought, but wasn't sure. i wonder how much 10' of spectra will "creep" overnight. i wonder if it is signifigant enough to use the vectran instead of dyneema or if the two are really about the same as far as hammocking goes.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12