Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    If there is no rain in the forcast I do not set up a tarp so I can watch the stars. A MP3 player with some good classical music is also a nice way to pass the time..
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12'
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I have to agree with much of what has been said with one caveat:

As an adult.

As an adult, I only go to the tent or hammock when I am ready to sleep. Otherwise, it is better to be out in the campsite, or at the fire, etc... This is as much a social thing as anything else. As adults we generally leave each other alone when in the tent, and the social life happens in the 'commmon' areas rather than our 'bedroom'.

That said, when I was a boy scout, the tent was our bedroom, and was considered a place away from the adults. However false, there was the feeling of privacy. Put 2-4 boys in a tent (or two with the ends put facing each other) and you had a little party room where you could giggle and talk about the stuff that you didn't want to say around the adults who were out by the fire. Magazines, cards, and snacks that we weren't supposed to have would come out, and juvenile activity would ensue. It never really occurred to us that the adults could hear every word we said, or even worse, that they could be standing right outside the tent listening to us and trying with all their might not to bust out laughing (not that I would ever do that now that I'm the adult...).

Now, if at all possible, I'll use the hammock with a tarp for my bedroom, and only plan to be there when I intend to be in bed. But for the boys, I could see the social aspect of a shared tent being a real part of the camping experience.

Don

Hammock
    wbbb 1.7 dbl
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    sleeping bag, uq
    Suspension
    whoopies, toggles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Theo View Post
    Look at stars. I live in the city so I don't get to too much of them.
    Contemplate life's mysteries.
    Look at what is going on around me.
    In short, not much of anything. Never bought into the notion that you actually have to do something. And doing nothing in a hammock is a lot better than doing nothing in a tent.
    +1. It's usually a big deal for me to get out - usually at least an hour's drive. It takes longer than I'm usually out to completely drop the city jitters but there's always transition time. I have a love/hate relationship with my superfly tarp - great for coverage/privacy but unless weather demands it - as soon as night falls one side gets flipped back or it goes back in the snakeskins cause that gets me feeling more claustrophobic than the net on my wbbb (which I haven't closed since August).

So far I've solo camped at campsites which have more drive-by visibility and access than I'm comfortable with so I often don't often have a campfire at night or keep lights on. Which eliminates doing much of anything. Which can make time go by very slowly - which can sometimes feel uncomfortable, but it's why I go. Because I tend to go to sleep earlier than usual, I often wake up in the middle of the night and take a walk.

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark

When darkness comes or before . . .

I find that during the work life . . . there is never enough hours in a day . . .

When camping/hiking/what have you . . .
    I am not to concerned with what to do . . . but sleep.
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Sitting by a campfire is just too obvious. Think about taking out a small light weight hobby. Whittling, Harmonica, Star maps, or keep a small piece of rope handy and practice tying knots you have trouble with.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Campfire, MP3 player & libations
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i turn on the tv (build a fire and stare at it )
    Commonly known as "Hiker TV"
    The Older I get, the Faster I use to be.

Hammock
    TLD/Hammeck Breezy
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logics
    Insulation
    HG/WL/pad
    Suspension
    webbing /CB
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleTrackMind View Post
    Thanks.

I like the sleeping comfort of a hammock, but also the secure feeling I get when using a tent. A few minutes ago I saw images here on the forum that might help me along. They were of the tarps that provide pretty good enclosure.

When I first brought my hammock to a site, it was during a solo car camping trip, and I'd say I just wasn't comfortable yet being outside a tent yet. I'm sure this has much to do with it.
    I think with time you'll get used to not having the "security" of a tent. I used to be very attached to my tent. Then one summer my river buddy talked me into sleeping under the stars. It was uncomfortable at first, but once I got used to it, there was no going back. I spent almost every night that summer out of my tent, and I really hated putting up the tent when I needed to. I think the hammock is the best of both worlds.... comfort, partial enclosure, open air/or tarp coverage, and easy in & out without the annoying zipper or hunching over and crawling around on hands & knees.
    KJ

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dprez View Post
    I have to agree with much of what has been said with one caveat:

As an adult.

As an adult, I only go to the tent or hammock when I am ready to sleep. Otherwise, it is better to be out in the campsite, or at the fire, etc... This is as much a social thing as anything else. As adults we generally leave each other alone when in the tent, and the social life happens in the 'commmon' areas rather than our 'bedroom'.

That said, when I was a boy scout, the tent was our bedroom, and was considered a place away from the adults. However false, there was the feeling of privacy. Put 2-4 boys in a tent (or two with the ends put facing each other) and you had a little party room where you could giggle and talk about the stuff that you didn't want to say around the adults who were out by the fire. Magazines, cards, and snacks that we weren't supposed to have would come out, and juvenile activity would ensue. It never really occurred to us that the adults could hear every word we said, or even worse, that they could be standing right outside the tent listening to us and trying with all their might not to bust out laughing (not that I would ever do that now that I'm the adult...).

Now, if at all possible, I'll use the hammock with a tarp for my bedroom, and only plan to be there when I intend to be in bed. But for the boys, I could see the social aspect of a shared tent being a real part of the camping experience.

Don
    This is my thought as well...With the kids, they like to put on their headlights and play board games together in the tent for hours (after the fire and before falling asleep).

Once we are all hanging, it will be interesting to see how that time is filled...

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    This is kinda like hanging out w/ friends in a big tent.... but way better
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts