Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I think the underquilt might be a little over kill for Our weather down here. I just want a good mat that works well with a hammock. the blue pad is an option but I was thinking more along the lines of a self inflating type.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Timberrr and I don't have one, but see the merits. With the 360 bug net, you won't be getting bit from underneath.

To date our coldest hang was somewhere in the upper 20's. We used two sleeping bags (Summer one as a pea pod and slept in a 20 degree) and no pad.

I have ordered a pad but not so much for warmth but to see how much more it will open up the hammock. I was also eyeing some 'water hammocks' that would serve to open up the hammocks nicely. I ordered two figuring if they don't work in the hammock, they will work in the pool. It's days like this that it's good to have a spouse with the same hobby!

Keep in mind that we also kayak camp so weight is not an issue for us as much as others. At least until we decide to do more than short day hikes.

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by colbysteed View Post
    I think the underquilt might be a little over kill for Our weather down here. I just want a good mat that works well with a hammock. the blue pad is an option but I was thinking more along the lines of a self inflating type.
    Maybe a light summer UQ? The comfort level is alot better without a pad in there. For me anyways!
    It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit

ok, I didn't know that they made a lighter UQ. So do the pads cause discomfort for most? @gumbo. See thats my concern most of my trips will at coldest be Upper 20's and I might have that cold of a night once out of the year. So I thought just a pad for some mild nights would be suitable.

This is the pad that I am considering
    http://www.powderfin.com/pacificoutd...523_f0216_1742

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Pads work ok. I just get too sweaty with them. Plus they can be pain to pack. You'll find most people are happier with UQ's. YMMV

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Very nice looking pad!

One of the downsides of a pad with the ENO is that it is a single layer hammock. This means you will end up sleeping on top of the pad and it may/will try to shift as you get into or out of your hammock. An underquilt does not do this. The upside of a pad is that if you ever have to go to ground..you at least have a pad.

Timberrr and I have an REI Travel Sack Sleeping Bag/Liner that we attach to the bottom as an UQ when we need something. Also you might find you need something more often than you thought (air moving under you can feel cold!!) Our cold weather sleeping bags are a $20 Walmart special. The night we went into the the 20's we could have gone colder and would have been fine.

The main thing is to find what makes you most comfortable and that's different for everyone.
    Last edited by Gumbo; 02-20-2011 at 16:11. Reason: Corrected the name of our Summer bags/liner to Travel Sack

Hammock
    Warbonnets!
    Tarp
    OES, WB
    Insulation
    Crowsnest, Leighs
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    An inflatable pad would do away with the sweaty back. I tried my Big Agnes insulated air core in one of my old hammocks once. Even though I only had it partially inflated, it felt like I was always fighting the feeling of rolling off it. And when you do move off your pad you get cold.. I'd suggest this over any pad. http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/inde...&products_id=8

Pads work fine, and this is what was being used prior to the quilt blast! There are several differences between pads and quilts and most vary between person to person!

Some find that they can't get comfortable on a pad!

Some find that they can't stay on the pad during the night!

Some find that most pads are too narrow (been a while since I used one but there was a width that most felt was spot on, I think it was around 25in???)

Some find that condensation is a problem with a pad (and some don't)!

Many don't like the bulkiness of a pad in comparison to a quilt!

And the list can go on, but, the bottom line is some/most/maybe all of these differences may or may not be present for you!

Now onto quilts:

Most find them to be much more comfortable in comparison to pads!

Because most get a down quilt the pack size is less than a pad (even with a synthetic quilt the pack size would most likely be smaller)!

No worry of not staying on it during the night like a pad!

No real worry of the condensation issue like a pad (of course it could still happen, but not as probable as with a pad)!

Also most find that the overall comfort is improved with the use of a UQ (underquilt)!

There is no bunching or folding in spots like there can be with a pad (which can get very uncomfortable at times)!

There are plenty more, but, sometimes a UQ just can't be acquired due to price as the difference is huge, but many (if not all) find that the money was well spent! Do a search (or look through) the pad section in bottom insulation and you will find all the info needed to make a well informed choice!

Good luck, hope this helps!?!?!?
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

I had feeling that it would be a lot of trial and error to see what I am most comfortable with. It just feels much better to have an educated decision before spending ridiculous money on unneeded stuff. I think I'll go with the pad at first and if it Don't work I'll sell it cheap. haha! The UQ just seems like over kill for down here. If I discard the mat a DIY might be a better option for an UQ in this climate.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast