Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Tarp help Please!?

Let me start by saying I am a newbie to Hammock camping.. I recently purchased a Eno Onelink Complete Hammock System (with dry fly). While I was supper excited waiting for it to come in the mail, I found this forum. Now I think I might have screwed up with the Dry fly. I live on the coast in Ms so humidity and sneaky thunderstorms are a big factor in camping for me. How bad did I screw up? Also what is The best tarp for these conditions? does not have to be budget friendly but must be Light weight because I use it on kayaking trips.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by colbysteed View Post
    How bad did I screw up?
    You did not.

Though Warbonnet tarps are state of the art.
    Maybe The Edge.
    Or the Superfly, though more bulk and weight.

Please excuse all the novice questions. I'm Still a little confused.. HAha! So Warbonnet tarps are smaller then the Eno dry fly. Why are they better since they offer less coverage? The Eno Dry fly is a 12x12 I also Looked at the kelty that is 12x12.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    How bad did I screw up?
    You did not screw up.

Thanks, I was just going by what I have read on a couple of post that said They were not a good option for a tarp. Ha, Last question... I have also read that the Eno Pro straps do not hold up and stretch. Has anyone used them? What kind of straps do you guys recommend?

While I don't think that you "Screwed up"! I am curious as to why you feel that way?

Also per Eno's site http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...rain-tarp.html
    The Dimensions are: 10’6” x 5’2” so Colbysteed where did you get your information from as everything that I have seen doesn't say 12x12?

I currently use a Speer 8x10 and have been through some very, very nasty storms and have stayed completely dry, also many have used and are still using the OES Micro and the Warbonnett Edge and have survived the stormy nights just fine! Now mind you that a smaller tarp doesn't afford you the coverage like a larger one will and also may limit your ability to do some camp chores(or eliminate some completely) there are other ways (pieces of gear) that you can get/use to lower your chance of soaking your UQ or other gear like getting a UQ protector, also a Jeff's gear hammock or a MollyMac one to keep your gear up off the ground and dry! There are many other things that can be done, but, like I said many, many people use small tarps including the micro postage stamp HH Asym tarp and been perfectly fine!

Now as long as you didn't get the SlapStraps, which those are worthless (IMHO)!
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    If you want a lighter smaller packing tarp consider looking at a Cuben fiber tarp on zpacks website.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Well, I have read it in a couple of places that the Dry fly did not offer sufficient coverage. The dimensions that I had was from a Third party site that obviously has the wrong specs. Umm, yeah I bought the slap strap pro.. Whats a better option?

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Thanks, I was just going by what I have read on a couple of post that said They were not a good option for a tarp. Ha, Last question... I have also read that the Eno Pro straps do not hold up and stretch. Has anyone used them? What kind of straps do you guys recommend?
    They stretch a lot at first, don't be shocked if you wake up ***-on-the-ground. I also think they are kinda heavy and they do limit your options in terms of adjustability. I rigged mine in my backyard hang spot with a ratcheting tie-down in place of the hammock and left this up for a week, occasionally tightening the ratchet... they don't stretch much anymore but then they don't leave my closet shelf anymore.

I like my whoopie slings and tree straps (just so happens I got mine from AHE, there are other makers as well and some people do DIY)

Some folks prefer various forms of strap/buckle or strap/descender rings or what have you. Nothing wrong with those systems either, maybe a little more weight but it's easier to leave tree straps and toggles behind with a whoopie setup. There are acres of info on suspension options on the forum.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    WB tarps
    Insulation
    HG Down, PolarPod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeAway View Post
    You did not screw up.
    Just checked the dimensions of :

The Edge 10’6’’ x 7’10’’
    Dry Fly Rain Tarp 10’6’’ x 5’2’’

Weight:

The Edge 10 oz.
    Dry Fly Rain Tarp 22 oz.

Guess you screwed up after all didn’t you?
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast