DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    .What about the myth(?) that maybe I'm wearing too much clothing? Is there any truth to the advice I've read that sleeping nude keeps you warmer?[/QUOTE]

nope... the only reason your clothing would make you colder is because it is damp from presperasion or rain.
    a lot of people (me included) belive it`s a good "double use" idea to include your clothing (or part of it, as needed) in your sleep system. ..tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Cute kitties, Michele (in the Trail Journals Gear pics). I got 4 myself.

Here's the best cat pic ever.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    So if I pull the draw strings as tightly as I can on the ends of my nest, to remove any possible airpocket, don't I risk having the nest compress when I lay down in it, or does this not happen because it's expanding downward along w/the hammock when you lay in it?

I checked out your journal.

Did you realize this cat keeps showing up in all your gear pics? Wierd.

Try opening up the end strings a little and moving the suspension lines for your underquilt away from the hammock some.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Ohhhh, something else...

I have tried a pad like the one in your gear pics - I found it to be a very poor insulator. Something to consider.
    NO SNIVELING!

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch of Grey View Post
    Saw your post on Trail Journals Michelle and have to ask if you set your Hammock arrangement up like this all of the time. (Michelle's Journal)

If it is then some of the guys and gals here may also chime in on what could also be part of the problem. First the large gap between the tarp and the hammock, next the large space between the ground and the bottom of the hammock, also noticed that there was quite a lot of dead leaves and duff below you.

On situations like this, make sure that your tarp touches the ground or nearly so. Then pull the leaves around the bottom of the tarp and inside to help insulate (you can respread them in the morning when you break camp).

Remember that air flowing both above and below you affects your ability to stay warm.

So far as the tarp height is concerned you want to be tight to the hammock but not so tight that you get condensation issues inside.

Anyone else seen these pictures?

So besides the underquilt and other issues, you want to also be below ridgelines on the lee side (away from) of the prevailing wind, closer to the ground in the winter and higher from the ground in the summer. Use the terrain and trees and bushes to protect you. At the same time be aware of those same trees for 'Widow-makers'.

Does that about cover it guys and gals?

TOG
    Oh, no this isn't my typical set-up (for cold weather anyway). I intentionally chose uneven ground for the practice, and after I sat in my hammock, it settled to probably about 18" off the ground w/me in it. I did, however, make the mistake of not lowering my tarp and bringing the sides in more like you suggested. The second night I did make that adjustment and it was a huge difference but I did have some condensation built up on the bug netting of my HH.

I was in this location, because just over that ridge is a hill leading down to a lake, where cold wind was blowing from, so I was pretty protected here.

I think I may be underestimating how much of a difference tarp positioning makes as well. Thanks for reminding me again.
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    Ohhhh, something else...

I have tried a pad like the one in your gear pics - I found it to be a very poor insulator. Something to consider.
    Hang on...I thought this was one that you recommended? Am I on crack? This is the blue Wal-mart pad that is wider than a thermarest.

What pad do you recommend?

About my cat, Henry....it IS weird that he keeps forcing himself into all of my gear pictures!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    Cute kitties, Michele (in the Trail Journals Gear pics). I got 4 myself.

Here's the best cat pic ever.

That is a CLASSIC!! Even in a "mouse" box!!!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    .What about the myth(?) that maybe I'm wearing too much clothing? Is there any truth to the advice I've read that sleeping nude keeps you warmer?
    nope... the only reason your clothing would make you colder is because it is damp from presperasion or rain.
    a lot of people (me included) belive it`s a good "double use" idea to include your clothing (or part of it, as needed) in your sleep system. ..tim[/QUOTE]

when i responded to your question michell, i didn`t realize that there was a full page of responses following ... i didn`t mean to sound like a know-it-all.
    i believe jeff said it well (message 23)... talking about things like getting to hot & sweating, constricting blood flow, compressing insulation, etc.
    it still has to do w/ layering appropriately, but clothing can definitely be considered an important part of your sleep system.
    i use mine all the time, so drafts under the quilt & getting up in the middle of the night are not much of an issue. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    a lot of people (me included) belive it`s a good "double use" idea to include your clothing (or part of it, as needed) in your sleep system. ..tim
    when i responded to your question michell, i didn`t realize that there was a full page of responses following ... i didn`t mean to sound like a know-it-all.
    i believe jeff said it well (message 23)... talking about things like getting to hot & sweating, constricting blood flow, compressing insulation, etc.
    it still has to do w/ layering appropriately, but clothing can definitely be considered an important part of your sleep system.
    i use mine all the time, so drafts under the quilt & getting up in the middle of the night are not much of an issue. ...tim
    Oh...you didn't come across as a know-it-all.....I'll take all the info I can get and then I pick and choose what works for me. I appreciate all of the input.

I can't see myself not using clothing, maybe I should experiment w/a little less. I never realized how wonderful of a job central heat/air did in your home with maintaining a comfortable moisture level!
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    Hang on...I thought this was one that you recommended? Am I on crack? This is the blue Wal-mart pad that is wider than a thermarest.

What pad do you recommend?

About my cat, Henry....it IS weird that he keeps forcing himself into all of my gear pictures!
    There are two types of blue pad sold at Wal-Mart. One is the type you have now. I had high hopes for that pad since it seems to grip in the hammock better - but I never got very warm using it. The other is closed cell foam that is a lighter blue and is also 24" wide - it is about the same as the military pads except a little wider, a little thicker, and it doesn't have the ties built on it.
    NO SNIVELING!

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234