Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    no myth, you will sleep warmer with less clothing on. If you have to much your body sweats and you get cool. I know this applies to tent camping but I don't see why it wouldn't to hammocking

Hammock
    SLD Lair
    Tarp
    Gnarwhal Hex 12x9
    Insulation
    SLD UQ & KAQ TQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckle
    It's not the clothing per se, it's having to much insulation for the temperatures you are experiencing. Sleeping nude in an over rated bag will also make you sweat, dampen the insulation and make you cold. Layering to meet the conditions is the key.

There are some other conditions NOT to wear your cltohes; if they are wet or if the added bulk will stretch the bag and compress the insulation.

Steve

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Millergear is correct - it isn't that sleeping nude always works or is a myth...you have to layer for conditions. Layering works during the day, and it doesn't just stop working b/c the sun goes down. But if you're compressing insulation or sweating, it can make you colder. Or if you're wearing extra socks and it's restricting your circulation, etc. Try it sometime...if you're wearing socks and you're cold, take them off. If you're not wearing socks and you're cold, put some on. Like millergear says, the big thing is to adjust for conditions.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    MacCat Ultra Spinn
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michele View Post
    My bag is a brand new 20-degree WM bag, this weekend makes use #4, so that's definitely not an issue. For an example of how much body heat I lose and how cold of a sleeper I am, in the 30's I have to wear a full face balaclava (OR brand) AND my wigwam skull cap to feel warm.

My ccp is that $12.00 blue Wally-World pad that Rock talks about on this site. If zipped up in my bag, I stay right on it. I'm only 5'6", so I trimmed it down. I can't say that I feel my underneath side getting cold, it's just an overall chill that I get, and this weekend, it was only my upper body (arms, because I had a vest, not a full jacket), but when one part of my body get's cold, I get chills throughout.

I ate a snickers bar right before bed. I really think I am just an exceptionally cold sleeper.

I could mess w/the adjustment of my Nest. When I adjust it, I pull the draw strings so that I can still place my hand in the end and feel a small gap between the nest and hammock. One night (it was again in the low 30's/upper 20's w/wind) I didn't tighten my Nest as much and had a pretty cold lower body, so it made me think I left it too loose.

If anyone has any suggestions I'm open to them. I'm definitely going to start throwing a hot water bottle in my bag.

What about the myth(?) that maybe I'm wearing too much clothing? Is there any truth to the advice I've read that sleeping nude keeps you warmer?
    Michele

I think it also depends on the individual. I am a cold sleeper too. When it gets anything below 35 degrees out I break out my 0 degree bag for my hammock. I have not gone below 33 degrees in my hammock yet, but I was warm at 0 degrees in the hammock with my 0 degreee bag and my under quilt.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Michele,

As a low body heat producer you should seek a good UQ fit... ie eliminate any air pocket... Also, I recommend that you change evening snacks from candy bars to hard cheese for the longer lasting effect...

Looking at one of your pictures in the hammock with skull cap recommend you use some insulated vest/jacket as a buffer/pillow on the head end and nessle into it as necessary for better head insulastion with less constriction of skull cap over balaclava... keep the balaclava to hold a thermocline over the face area...

It would probably serve you well to do some calestenics/jumping jacks before bed to raise your body temp some.... repeat at any bio breaks you might take.

Finally the hot water bottle or the hand warmer pack or two might be merited in your case... besure they are insulated in a sock so that they last a long time and you get gradual warmth rather than Hot spots.

Keep posting your experiments and results.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter_pan View Post
    Michele,

As a low body heat producer you should seek a good UQ fit... ie eliminate any air pocket... Also, I recommend that you change evening snacks from candy bars to hard cheese for the longer lasting effect...

Looking at one of your pictures in the hammock with skull cap recommend you use some insulated vest/jacket as a buffer/pillow on the head end and nessle into it as necessary for better head insulastion with less constriction of skull cap over balaclava... keep the balaclava to hold a thermocline over the face area...

It would probably serve you well to do some calestenics/jumping jacks before bed to raise your body temp some.... repeat at any bio breaks you might take.

Finally the hot water bottle or the hand warmer pack or two might be merited in your case... besure they are insulated in a sock so that they last a long time and you get gradual warmth rather than Hot spots.

Keep posting your experiments and results.

Pan
    So if I pull the draw strings as tightly as I can on the ends of my nest, to remove any possible airpocket, don't I risk having the nest compress when I lay down in it, or does this not happen because it's expanding downward along w/the hammock when you lay in it?
    This is my signature.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you asking about the drawstrings with cord locks or the hammock supports? If you tighten the drawstrings all the way, you'll get a little air pocket right at the end as the underquilt will pucker there...just tighten it enough to keep it snug when you're inside. (I made this mistake for a while.)

Same with the supports - too tight and it'll compress under your butt, too loose and it'll sag. Gotta be just right.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Sleeping in the nude does help warm the bag up faster and keep it warm as long as you are not sweating. I normally sleep in silk weight thermals and wool socks.

Sleeping nude in cold weather is to much of a hassle for me because I will freeze to death trying to get dressed. If you get up several times during the night sleeping nude is not worth it.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Michele, et al,

The ends are normally drawn to about 14-16 inches between the toggles.... This will fully "close the windows" and get a good seal on the weighted hammock for winter....

And yes, JJ is right if you over tighten, you get an air pocket....but worse, you miss align the end sides for proper wrap in the head, shoulders and feet areas... You are seeking a straight line fron the secondary (overhand) hitch, normally just inboard of the HH sock, down the SS shock cord and continuing along the UQ edge to the side Asym tieout point.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Images

Is this typical of your setup...

Saw your post on Trail Journals Michelle and have to ask if you set your Hammock arrangement up like this all of the time. (Michelle's Journal)

If it is then some of the guys and gals here may also chime in on what could also be part of the problem. First the large gap between the tarp and the hammock, next the large space between the ground and the bottom of the hammock, also noticed that there was quite a lot of dead leaves and duff below you.

On situations like this, make sure that your tarp touches the ground or nearly so. Then pull the leaves around the bottom of the tarp and inside to help insulate (you can respread them in the morning when you break camp).

Remember that air flowing both above and below you affects your ability to stay warm.

So far as the tarp height is concerned you want to be tight to the hammock but not so tight that you get condensation issues inside.

Anyone else seen these pictures?

So besides the underquilt and other issues, you want to also be below ridgelines on the lee side (away from) of the prevailing wind, closer to the ground in the winter and higher from the ground in the summer. Use the terrain and trees and bushes to protect you. At the same time be aware of those same trees for 'Widow-makers'.

Does that about cover it guys and gals?

TOG

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast