Straps/Dutchware
    Images

PA Hang 2011 Hammocks

Hobbit
    Hammock- DYI Speer
    UQ 1- Lost River
    UQ 2- Jacks R Better
    Tarp- 8x10 Speer (?)

Hobbit in Green Jacket Standing by His Forest Home.

Note: Hobbit uses natual objects for securing stake outs. In this case a small log and small tree.

Hobbit and chillyhiker chatting gear talk in background of Hobbit's side tarp pic.

More pics to come...

medicjimr
    jloden
    SkyDog

PS Sorry Herber didn't have my camera on the first day with me. You were already packed up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by HWS; 02-26-2011 at 00:01. Reason: C
    I hike with SCISSORS cause it makes me feel dangerous ... LoL

Hammock
    WB Blackbird Double Layer 1.0, DYI
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

PA Hang 2011 Hammocks

medicjimr

Hammock: WB Traveler 1.7 DL with Bug Net
    Insulation: Winter Incubator
    Tarp: SHABAM - "Superfly / Doors"

chilly hiker peaking under the hood of medicjimr's BAMZOOM "Superfly / Doors". I was going to look too, but wanted to ask for permission first!

KAPOW Super Fly professionally set up, staked out also with side tie-outs deployed.

Notice: The sewn on doors that comes stock with the :Super Fly".

Super Fly, Hobbit and chillyhiker in background, medicjimr's DYI Pulk on right.

Super Fly Tarp Suspended with an orange tarp line from the top with prusik line/knots suspending the tarp ends. Simply a Sweet Set Up!

medicjimr winter stove set up for cooking/snow-melting to make drinking water.

More pics to come...

jloden
    SkyDog
    Last edited by HWS; 02-26-2011 at 22:32.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

PA Hang 2011 Hammocks

jloden

(May Stand Corrected)

Hammcock: WBB 1.0
    UQ- Pads
    Tarp: OES MacCat Micro

Side pic of Micro Tarp covering WBB 1.0

jloden professional Tarp and Hammock rig set up....
    Notice: Under the tarp and hammock, neatly stored is jlodens gear, resting on a ground clothe.

Hammock nested tightly to tarp for full coverage.

WBB 1.0 nesting safely under Micro Tarp.

jloden's suspension pic

More pics to come...

SkyDog

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Great job with the Pic's and summary, Next time it's ok to take a peek.

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

PA Hang 2011 Hammocks

SkyDog

Hammock: Speer
    Insulation: DownMat7, Crownest
    Tarp: Speer Winter Tarp

Approaching Skydogs Rig Pic

SkyDog's Speer Winter Tarp End

SkyDog Speer Hammock, TQ, UQ Pic 1

SkyDog Speer Hammock, TQ, UQ Pic 2

P.S. - I wish I took a Pic of SkyDog's Pulk, I used it so much. I may have worn a hole in the bottom of it!

SkyDog's Pulk Rules!

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

Feb PA Hang 2011

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Great report HWS I am no way a writer of words lol I never get tired of checking out the elk
    medicjimr I'm not either, I'm a novelist...

Quote Originally Posted by medicjimr View Post
    Great job with the Pic's and summary, Next time it's ok to take a peek.
    Thanks, medicjimr - Will denifitely plan too.

Now to post my novel of Day 2:

Hammock
    Tarp
    The Edge
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutchware
    Images

My "Hammock Quest" : Day 2:

Day 2:

Got up early the next morning wanting to get back to the trail head leading to medicjimj’s PA Hang Camp. Remembering about the night before, the windows of old motel where I was staying shaking wildly because of the wind. Wondering how the PA hangers faired because of the wind blowing so hard.

Not feeling so well perhaps something I ate the night before. Laid back down and slept in a bit longer. I got up feeling a little better and got dressed to start my day. Debating my options to hike back to the hang site with my Dutch and supplies to camp cook or just to cook the cobbler right here at the hotel in the parking lot, because of the convenience factor, deciding on the latter.

It was getting to be late morning. Went outside to my vehicle it was fairly cold and windy, allot colder than the 55 degree plus day as before. Pulled my vehicle to the corner of the hotel parking lot to be out of the way, parking tactical and sideways parallel to the on coming wind to use my vehicle as a sort of a wind brake. Organized my cooking supplies starting the coals in my Weber chimney coal starter and pulled out a plastic tub with some gear in it to use it to cook on. Placed a blue sit pad on it with many multiple layers of sheets of heavy duty aluminum foil and placed on top 2 heavy tin roasting pans. Layered some hot coals down on the tin pans and covered the Dutch to start heating her up.

Made the cake mix, opened the peach cans dumping the peaches in the Dutch with some spices. Spread over the cake mix, covered the lid and setting some coals on top started the baking process. As I was putting some extra coals in the coal starter I smelled plastic burning! The Dutch melted through all my fire preventions layers and the hot plastic started all the contents of items in the tub on fire!

Pulling the Dutch off and placing it on a near by log, I proceeded to save the tubs contents of gear and what knots. The wind gusted and knocked the bag of charcoals on the burning tub catching that it on fire. I pulled items out and separated them to extinguish the flames. When a pack of napkins caught on fire and started blowing around the parking lot with some ending up plastered against the outside wall of the hotel or yes they were still on fire! I caught sight of people pulling in to park for lunch. I saw them stopping to stare at the fire house cook trying to calmly put out the blazes erupting everywhere around my vehicle. If you ever visit the Benezzete Hotel in PA and hear about this story. My name is FPG (Fire Prevention Guy) Testing fire prevention and fire extinguishing techniques!

I finished the mad house Peach Cobbler baking and cleaned up. Loaded up my vehicle with the Dutch Oven and burnt tub and top now looking like a toilet seat and would later remark to the PA Hangers about how I could show them to mod their tubs like mine and the ease of now getting to the contents without taking off the lid. LOL

Heading out to the PA Hang site, almost to my destination I saw some wild turkeys entering the woods up ahead which I stopped to shoot a quick video. As I pulled into the parking lot at the trail head. Herber was packing up to leave. I asked him if he would like to try some of the Peach Cobbler and he said he could be easily talked into it and asked if I needed any help. I said I would need a pulk to get the Dutch Oven back to the Hang Site and needed to organize some of my gear. He said he would get a pulk and would be right back.

I did some quick reorganization of my gear and loaded up the pulk and hauled back my Dutch and now new molded tub. Heber hiked back to camp with me chatting along the way. We entered camp as I was greeted by everyone. I briefly showed my new moded tub and cover and got a warm laugh from the hangers and later confessed my story. With Heber’s help set up the Dutch and server the Peach Cobbler. I think everyone enjoyed the desert and was happy that I was able to come through with my promised plan.

Chillyhiker invited to show me my “Quested Hammock and Gear Tour” which I eagerly accepted. We went to his rig first. A beautiful site it was. Chilly had an OES Standard Tarp, with a Griz Beak covering the leading wind side as he opened the tarp for me to see my first real live hanging hammock. I feasted on a Black WBB 1.1 starting from the bottom up was a Jacks R Better poncho weather cover, then a Jacks R Better UQ, with a 3 Season Yeti hiding underneath the hammcok. What a sweet rig! We walked through the camp and went through each hangers set up. Like a kid in a candy store I was wide eyed and excited.

Taking pictures along the way studying each unique and functional set up. Screamer was just getting up from hammock rest after doing a 7 mile hike. By then Hobbit joined us as we walked to his rig and went through his gear and shared with us his hammock wisdoms and experiences. I went by Blisterboys and FixByDoc Rigs taking picture and mental notes as I went along.
    I have to echo Blisterboy “You can watch videos and read books, but the chance to hang out with a group that knows and loves what they are doing,well I am a lucky guy.”

You can read and study for six months but seeing and learning from these well educated woodsmen is just unbelievable and extremely invaluable. I have to say I learned as much in 10-12 hours than all my researching and studying for the last many months. The good thing for me was, I read so much about hammock gear. I could pick out and understood everything by site.

Next we came to medicjimr site, Powee-Baaam-Zoom there stood a perfectly pitched Warbonnet SuperFly in all of its glory. A tight orange ridgeline suspending it with orange Persik knots at each end. Staked out with side tie outs deployed a real thing of beauty it was. Moving along to jloden’s rig. He had the if I’m not mistaken the OES Micro Tarp, WBB 1.0 Hammcok with pads. Jloden rig was IMO meticulously set up with his gear covered sitting on a ground cover and neatly stacked under his hammock.

Walking back to the camp fire SkyDog met me and showed me his setup. I could tell this was not his first rodeo. SkyDog talked about his different trials and gear usages and passed along valuable information to me that I much appreciated.

We continued on together to the camp fire and I heated up some water in my peak pot on the fire and made a cup of soup. When finished I was going to heat some more water for tea when Blisterboy offered his fuel stove for heating my water. I appreciated this fact since I didn’t have the lid it would keep the ash out. Blisterboy produced a double burner stove and had two separate cups of water boiling in no time. I settled back on a log seat and took in the sites and smells of the fire and woods. Conversations were easy to come by and gear talk was abundant. FixByDoc made some acorn flour and mixed it with cocoa as a paste. Cooked it up on his stove and gave me a piece to try. It was really good. FixByDoc said it holds a high amount of protein in it.

I learned Joe Cross came in did a day hike with the PA hanger posse, found a remote camp site and later left for a solo hike and solo hang. Sorry I didn’t get a chance to meet you Joe Cross, perhaps next time.

Talked a bit to everyone about gear, camping and about themselves as FixByDoc played his harmonica by the fire. Dark was set in and I warmed up by the fire. Wishing I had a hammock so I could stay, Stayed for as long as possible, but then having to pulk out the Oven and gear I had brought along it was time to go. Blisterboy was kind enough to lend me his headlamp. SkyDog again obliged me with his pulk. Loaded it up and hiked back to my vehicle to unload. Grabbed my forgotten head lamp half melted from the fire but still functional. I headed back to drop of the pulk and returned Blisterboys headlamp.

Saying my goodbyes I sadly left the camp. Hiking back my headlamp flickered off. Suffering from burns from my Peach Cobbler cook off, my headlamp went out, to a pitch black night. Couldn’t see a foot in front of me, no moon or star was out. I fiddle with it and brought a breath of life back into it, about a quarter ways back to my vehicle. Screamer came bounding up and hiked with me for company back to my vehicle. These are the types of guys I was blessed to have met and will think about often.

Summary:

First off one huge benefit for all my back and forth hiking and pulking had totally knocked all the stress out of my body. My shoulders became unknotted and I felt re-centered and relaxed.

The melting snow produced a lot of water and wet boots. Making me think about what a good winter footwear system would be. I saw boots being dried by the fire. Something I’ll have to research further for myself.

The sensation of kindred spirits was unmatched from the day to day grind of the world, so refreshing.

Lastly, I sensed these hangers have a deep love and respect of the outdoors as do I. Their knowledge base of hiking and outdoor skills was simply amazing, which they freely shared. I learned a lot from these kind folks.

For me it was better than going to Disneyland! Lol… HWS

P.S. - I would be remised if I didn’t mention on Day One, that Hobbit made a big ole batch of potato soup and heated it up in a big ole pot by the fire to share with everyone. It was most excellent!!!

Happy Trails to You All!
    Last edited by HWS; 03-03-2011 at 22:50.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge (Spinn UL)
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Multimat
    Suspension
    WB cinch buckles
    Thanks for posting the pics and gear setups, that's an interesting idea

Two small corrections on my setup: It's a WBBB 1.0 Double Layer (only its second outing, but I'm liking it so far), and the tarp is actually a Warbonnet Edge tarp in Spinn UL. It's closer in size to a MacCat Standard tarp than the micro if I recall correctly. Definitely on the small side but with a tight pitch it covers the Blackbird enough for even bad weather as you can see from the pics.

-Jay

Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    jloden

(May Stand Corrected)

Hammcock: WBB 1.0
    UQ- Pads
    Tarp: OES MacCat Micro

Side pic of Micro Tarp covering WBB 1.0

jloden professional Tarp and Hammock rig set up....
    Notice: Under the tarp and hammock, neatly stored is jlodens gear, resting on a ground clothe.

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HWS View Post
    If you ever visit the Benezzete Hotel in PA and hear about this story. My name is FPG (Fire Prevention Guy) Testing fire prevention and fire extinguishing techniques!
    That's some funny stuff HWS. I think your new trail name should be Fire Marshall Bill!

I'm glad the cobbler turned out good and no one was hurt!
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Fun to see a big lot of hammocks out in the winter!
    Looks like ya'll had a fun bunch out there.
    "Whan zephirus eek with his sweete breeth
    Inspired hath in every holt and heeth"....

Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast