Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images

Help w/making sleeping bag shorter

I have a decent 5* (synthetic fill) adult-size mummy bag. It's too long for my 5-0 wife. I like the foot box that's on it but I guess the hood is more important. So does anyone have any advice on shortening this thing? I've never sewn (injected thread?) into anything that was already stuffed before so any insights are greatly appreciated!
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    "blue"poly tarp...
    Suspension
    prusik and ropes
    Images
    my take would be to ask a sewing shop to do it if you never sewn at all... the thing is that you can't really sew the outside and the inside if you don't want any cold spot... if your wife is like my girlfriend you really don't want any cold spot at all cost but the rev would be the best to explain you how to do it I think or even shug should be able to give you some advice

chris
    why should I have a rock, a root or anything else hurting my back in camping?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    If you value her company in the outdoors, buy her a bag that fits her and is appropriate for the conditions you plan to encounter. Cut corners somewhere else.

Srsly.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps, D. Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moimeme_81 View Post
    my take would be to ask a sewing shop to do it if you never sewn at all...
    Thanks Chris. I'm comfortable taking on the sewing. I've done a lot of basic stuff. I guess my question is: Do I need to just cut the fabric, pull out the fill, sew and restuff? Or can I shortcut it?
    Yes, I would certainly welcome the insights of the masters! (and anyone else's insights too)
    HangCon Sign Up:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

So many trees, so little time...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx or Pads
    Suspension
    Straps and Biners
    Images
    +1 on what OG said. I've tried a few times to modify items for the wife/kids and it rarely works out well in the end. They somehow always look at it as hand-me-downs instead of being frugal.

As a trial run you can stuff a pillow into the footbox to take up the extra room (more insulation too). Depending on the taper of the bag hacking off a foot will leave a huge new footbox unless you restructure the rest of the bag. Good for comfort but possibly bad for warmth.

I'm kind of in the same boat with a nice 20F Kelty a friend gave me. It's too hot for me to use most of the time, way too bulky to backpack anyway, but too nice to hack up for an UQ (even though it was free). I'd like to do something similar to make a kids bag so let me know how it works out.

If this is for kayaking/backpacking and you're trying to save weight and bulk then just get a new bag. You'll both be happy you did. If it's a descent bag you can unload it here or on e-bay for a reasonable price to help offset the price.

Hammock
    diy DL HH explorer asym w/shelf
    Tarp
    jrb hex spinn
    Insulation
    winter crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopies/toggles
    not too hard to do, but long to do!
    measure how much to take off
    remove zipper
    anywhere near the middle of the bag mark off where and how much you need to remove, less 1inch per side for sewing allowance, cut sew, reinstall zipper, cutting it to the right size, the important thing is taking your time, measuring twice, making sure to mark the lines square, separate the bags inner and outer shell to sew and have fun
    good luck

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    OES MacCat's
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    ...Or... you could keep the High Quality Warm Sleeping bag, leave the wife at home and bring the taller girlfriend who fits into the sleeping bag like a glove...

Kidding of course. Because I have met you both, it was a funny thought!
    ...my $0.02

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Assuming it is a differential cut mummy bag you are taking on a major task. Trying to keep the footbox reasonably comfortable without cold spots is going to be the problem. There is a lot of blind stitching that is best done during the construction of the bag. To replicate it you would most likely have to completely deconstruct the bag. Huge PITA.

This is one of those cases where I think the modification would be more hassle than it's worth. If the extra length is causing that much of a problem take along some heat packs, throw them down into the bag before your wife crawls in and let them take care of the left over space.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but there's another consideration: sleeping bags are sized s/m/l, and the hip and shoulder girth varies accordingly. Cutting down a regular sized bag to fit a munchkin (her maiden name was Keebler, right?) will result in a voluminous mummy bag that will no longer be good to 5*. Also, there are bags that are sized to fit women.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    We were just talking about this subject on another thread! Here's Sandykayak's comment and my idea to shorten a "too long" sleeping bag:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandykayak
    Mine is also new and I've toyed with selling it, but I don't want. My problem is that I have the Large (need the space around!), but it is soooo long.

I'd love to chop about 12" off the bottom, but I'm scared of messing up the bottom of the zipper.

Sandykayak: I had the same problem with a down Big Kazoo bag I bought at the North Face discount warehouse in Oakland CA. The price was too good to pass up but it was soooooooo long for me (made for the 6'+ types) that my body couldn't warm all that space up! I couldn't sleep warm in 30 degrees and the bag is rated for 20! So I took a rubber band, unzipped the bag and, from INSIDE the bag, grabbed a handful of fabric and down from the foot and wound the rubber band around it. It made a ball of down INSIDE the bag which took up space and made it extra warm AND it made the bag shorter and easier to warm up with body heat. WORKED LIKE A CHARM! And no cutting--completely UNdoable! Good luck!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast