Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxM View Post
    Alpine lakes eh?? My favorite lake is up there. Skykomish, Wa, called Big Heart Lake. I don't know the trail #.
    From the trail head you hike past Trout Lake and then Copper Lake, then straight up the mountain to (very) Little Heart and then Big Heart. If you feel like bush whacking, there is an old lake called Agatha I think too, but its surrounded by shear cliffs on the North??? side so we couldn't get to it.

Do you know any of these???
    I've scoped those lakes out on the map but haven't made it there... yet. I've mainly been in the Waptus and Spectacle lake areas which I believe is farther south from the area you're describing.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=19522

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome and howdy from high point nc

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hello there and a Whoooooo Buddy Welcome.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    HH Exped Mod #2
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Burrow in the Nest
    Suspension
    8ft WhoOPies
    A big Welcome from the other side of the Cascades!
    The Woooods!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    The Amsteel is for whoopee slings but we still use webbing to go around the trees. If you order Amsteel or anything from Redden Marine they give us a 10% discount if you put hammockforums in as your discount code.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

Quote Originally Posted by MaxM View Post
    Alpine lakes eh?? My favorite lake is up there. Skykomish, Wa, called Big Heart Lake. I don't know the trail #.
    From the trail head you hike past Trout Lake and then Copper Lake, then straight up the mountain to (very) Little Heart and then Big Heart. If you feel like bush whacking, there is an old lake called Agatha I think too, but its surrounded by shear cliffs on the North??? side so we couldn't get to it.

Do you know any of these???
    Ha....I have this illogical aversion from hiking anywhere along the I90 corridor. It's so bad i have a tendency to ignore anything on the map south of state route 2. That said i have done some exploration around Trout and Copper Lake. Did a pack raft tour of all and i do mean all of the islands in Dorothy Lake....even the ones too small to show up on the USGS map. Plan on bushwhacking up to Pugsley lake next summer.
    Oh i do know there are some spots in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness that are almost impossible to visit without a pack raft...so if you missed out on the opportunity to acquire a Curtis Raft when they were in production, here is an alternative.
    http://flyweightdesigns.com/default.aspx
    Yea i know it's 11 oz more than a Curtis...But it's still pretty dam light.

Oh and yea there are plenty of Hangers around here, ya have to look though.....most stick to remote back-country.

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the HF for your northern neighbours!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Ha....I have this illogical aversion from hiking anywhere along the I90 corridor. It's so bad i have a tendency to ignore anything on the map south of state route 2. That said i have done some exploration around Trout and Copper Lake. Did a pack raft tour of all and i do mean all of the islands in Dorothy Lake..If ..even the ones too small to show up on the USGS Plan on bushwhacking up to Pugsley lake next summer.
    I wouldn't say its so illogical!! Getting to the FS roads that go north of 90 can be a huge pain!! I've looked at maps and gotten so frustrated that i gave up. If you did copper and didn't make it up to Big Heart then you are missing out, really it is a gem. Could be part of the enchantments. Lucky for you access is off of 2.

I'm not familiar with Dorothy Lake or a lake with so many islands you can pack raft in it. I'm guessing thats a multi-day trip where you spent each night at a different island? And obviously rafted to and from them. I've just google it and that looks awesome. I love me some bushwhacking!!!

Hi Max - welcome!

I'm in North Bend - just a dozen miles up the road from you. Sounds like you're most concerned about the weight of your setup, is that right?

What are your totals? Guys and gals around here will dissect your kit and offer a bunch of ways to lighten it up. For me, my setup is very comparable to a light solo tent setup, so I don't feel like there's a weight penalty at all to hammocking out here. I've never run into problems with trees being too big for my webbing. Even in the Hoh we had no problems finding appropriate trees. The only place me and my hammock-packing buddy have ever had a problem is in Central Washington. No trees at all He did manage a nap by rigging up a scary setup between two boulders, however.

If you post up what you're using, we can take a look at it. I agree with your comments on Pac NW backpacking, but we have our advantages, too. I almost never carry water for example. That's probably the single heaviest item in a lot of backpackers' packs and we can essentially eliminate it in many parts of the Cascades. Sweet!

-Curt

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    diy Mac Cat
    Insulation
    down uq
    Suspension
    SLS mule tape
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    Hi Max - welcome!

I'm in North Bend - just a dozen miles up the road from you. Sounds like you're most concerned about the weight of your setup, is that right?

What are your totals? Guys and gals around here will dissect your kit and offer a bunch of ways to lighten it up. For me, my setup is very comparable to a light solo tent setup, so I don't feel like there's a weight penalty at all to hammocking out here. I've never run into problems with trees being too big for my webbing. Even in the Hoh we had no problems finding appropriate trees. The only place me and my hammock-packing buddy have ever had a problem is in Central Washington. No trees at all He did manage a nap by rigging up a scary setup between two boulders, however.

If you post up what you're using, we can take a look at it. I agree with your comments on Pac NW backpacking, but we have our advantages, too. I almost never carry water for example. That's probably the single heaviest item in a lot of backpackers' packs and we can essentially eliminate it in many parts of the Cascades. Sweet!

-Curt
    Thanks Curt! Sounds like you have your system down. Being so close, if you ever need a 3rd person let me know. Always looking for an excuse to get out there.

My equipment is no where near what I want, or what is desirable, only what I have organized in the last 6 months on a $100 budget. As we all know, light weight is 99% of the time, more expensive.

I welcome your opinions but keep in mind that my setup is no where near permanent, its only what I can afford at the moment. It changes so often in configuration it is barely worth listing.

I slept in my setup last night, and will again tonight, so I will get actual weights later, I've listed what I know.

- Hammock - DIY 1.9oz ripstop about 11 feet end to end. Longer than most I am aware.
    - Tarp -Vintage army poncho
    - UQ - 1/2 of an Eddie Bauer down bag. Soon to be tailored. It weighs about 3.5lbs. And thats the SMALL half.
    - Bag - The Down Company, i think its rated to +15? It weighs about 5lbs. Great bag, just sooooo big.
    - Suspension - Herculine fairly light. I'm pretty sure it had a 50lb limit printed on it, but I tested it to 400lbs exactly. Swaying and bouncing for a couple minutes and it still holds. Only time will tell. AmSteel is in my future anyway.
    - Vapor Barrier - I just bought this great stuff at Lowes! Its mylar covered bubble wrap meant as house insulation. Just like those heavy duty emergency blankets some of you use. 16" wide roll, 25' long, $16 bucks. They have 24" rolls too, but they are $30. Super light weight and worked just as well as my CCF pad AND its way easier to tailor, with duct tape.
    - Sierra Designs Down throw, 50"x60". I use this in lieu of a TQ. Maybe 1lb.
    - Bivy sack. Cabela's XPG, WP and breathable. About 10oz
    - The Michelin Man suit. Cabela's cold weather down underwear suit. I wear this inside my bivy sack, no need for a sleeping bag. 2lbs w/stuff sack
    -Mosquito netting from REI, Mumba? something like that. About 7'Lx3'Wx4'T. 8-10oz.

I have two other great quesions I am surveying the forum about. Go look!

Thanks again guys!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12