Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images

Michigan winter hang Feb 19-20 Trip report

After a couple of stops on the way from Flint to Rose City Mi we arrived at the Sunrise Cafe, near Lupton at around 1 PM.
    We were met there by Wildcrafter and Sr1355. We had a good lunch and talked of what we hoped to do during the weekend.

Rifle River Recreation area is just around the corner from where we had lunch. We arrived there at around 2pm. It was very windy and was supposed to get bursts of over 50 mph overnight.

We found the best site possible for our sites and could see about 10 different hang possibilities. None however would be protected from the wind.

We started to set up and Bloomgorge, Steve and Craig arrived. Steve and Craig set up a tent.

Baloonatic, Wetcatcarl and Chris arrived and picked spots and set up

Pack Eagle and Megan arrived after dark and set up 2 set.

We had no special plans so we just visited around the fire, ate butter cookies
    and Chocolate no bakes,and many other snacks, and drank a lot of warm water, ( we did use the electric for a hot water pot).

To the Hammock around 8:30 pm due to the high winds.

I had not put up my EOS spin tarp due to the high winds and instead used a 9X9 Tyvek.
    By 9pm I could not take the noise and got up, pulled the stakes and stowed the mess in the truck. It was much quieter after that.
    The cotton sock blocked about 90% of the wind and the flap only opened at times from it.

For a kit I used a cotton outer sock, similar to the one MacEntyre makes http://www.youtube.com/user/mollymac.../0/DwUQxV4vaKk
    2 nested Speer Snugfit underquilts, my Jerry 5 clone hammock, a 15, and a 0 degree REI down bags as quilts. and bugnet tied back.

I was very cozy and at times had to open the flap as I was borderline to warm. Outside temps were around 20*F and winds varied from 20 to 50 MPH.

Sat Morning
    Bloomgorge provided breakfast, eggs, bacon, sausage, (it was after all, a car camp)
    Some slept very well and some made their way to the heated floors in the shower area of the toilet building. Glad they had that option.
    In the Video we will have overnight reports from most all.

Saturday the park had a free fishing day, and also a hay ride and hot dogs and coco. We just had to indulge in the lunch of coco and hot dogs during our around the lake and across tour of some of the park.

There was a drive by, and interview by one of the Michigan outdoor TV shows while most of us were away from camp. I don't know a lot about that but someone else may.

Balloonatic entertained us with his balloon artist skills. He holds a Guinness world record for the most balloon animals created in a 24 hour period. http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...ours/61819.htm

Back at camp, during the afternoon a bunch of us provided a few items to be used in a give away. I won't list them all here, but all were pretty nice prizes and went to others that could appreciate them.
    Bloomgorge had 2 other buddy's arrive in the afternoon but I cannot recall their names. They set up a condominium size tent, and were going ice fishing in the afternoon.

Dblcorona provided a very tasty, near Gourmet, beef soup for dinner. Group meals work really well during cold weather, but should be simple, heat and eat types.

We had a night hike under the full moon, across the lake and then back around, about an hour, that re warmed any cold fingers or toes.

The wind had dropped but the temp had also. We sat around the fire and talked and looked at the stars. Balloonatic left about 8pm and Wetcatcarl and Chris left about 9pm.

Again to the hammock about 9:30. I had used the cotton sock in the give away so tonight had no overcover, or tarp. I did zip the bugnet on, but by morning regretted that as there was a layer of frost dropping on me every time I moved. With very little wind and temps below 15*F I was still very comfortable and was able to watch the stars and the full moon cross the sky. I had to use my frost bib as a eye cover due to the bright moonlight.

Sunday Morning. Wildcrafter left very early morning. We were all up around 6 am and left the camp area by 7. There was rough weather heading our way so we felt we should get packed before we got snowed on heavily.

I arrived home before 11 am and then started hanging and sorting gear to store. I also started planning in my head what I would make next and how.

I had a great time and have enjoyed all of the Hammock Hangers and outdoors people that I have met this weekend and hope to be able to do it again.

The big message..... Get Outdoors, There is no bad weather, just the need to improve your equipment, skill and knowledge.
    It can be done and does not need to be expensive.

I seem to be having issues embedding the vids, but here are links

Some are still in process but there are 3
    #1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rce8z5vd4p4
    #2 http://www.youtube.com/user/TZBrown0.../1/e0277poPSzM
    #3 http://www.youtube.com/user/TZBrown0.../0/iBNuoZM40Xs

TZ
    Last edited by TZBrown; 02-21-2011 at 15:47. Reason: videos
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post

The big message..... Get Outdoors, There is no bad weather, just the need to improve your equipment, skill and knowledge.
    It can be done and does not need to be expensive.

TZ
    Amen. That's what I thought about our hang on Saturday. It's nice to think we were all out doing what we love at the same time. Thanks for the report, looking forward to the video.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    3/4
    Suspension
    Strap Cinch buckle
    Great report sounds like you had a great time on your adventure as well will look forward to the upcoming video

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    it was an awesome time with great company and many good laughs. it was a very nice break from the normal day to day life.

one correction, Scott should be Steve (ashcan on HF now) I think we've got a possible convert with this one.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks

TZBrowns suspension

I think he was using a fire hose!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    diy wildcrafter
    Tarp
    UGQ preproduction
    Insulation
    UGQ all the way
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    he just need to see that you werent the only nut hanging from trees bloom. I think that TZ covered the trip except that words can never describe the feeling of hanging in a hammock in 50+ gust of winds when you hear them coming before they get to you but knowing that your warm and cozy and all is well. I had such a blast that I want to get lower temps now.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Sounds like you had a great time TZ ... and there's got to be a story being that picture of Bloom's ... gotta be.

Looking forward to your video!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by bloomgorge View Post
    I think he was using a fire hose!!!!

hehe what you havent seen that tree straps? they are 30 ft, you never when you need the distance. lol!

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Excellent report TZ... I had a great time seeing some old faces and meeting some new ones. What a great group of people we have on the forum. A big THANKS to Bloomgorge/Dblcorona for the group meals and a big THANKS to TZ for keeping us all stay full of hot liquid. The coffee percolator sure made staying hydrated easy...

Friday night was by far the wildest winds I've every been out in, tent or hammock The sound of the freight train coming towards your set-up was amazing, I had the sidewall of the tarp flattened against me more than once. I used a tip from Bloomgorge Friday and slept with a hot water bottle... HOLY COW!!!! I was sweating to death inside my double down sleeping bag pea pod, had to unzip and cool off. The hot water bottle stayed hot for hours. Saturday I had no hot water bottle but stayed toasty warm, no sweating... Sunday morning was chilly, around 10-12 degrees, and the thought of just staying toasty warm in the hammock until spring past through my mind. But, I needed to get home so up I got and hit the road around 7...

Gald you were OK Wildcrafter, I heard you pull out and we were all alittle concerned...If memory serves me right you left early from the fall hang too...That darn internal clock doesn't know we're not at work...

It certainly was alot of fun and I'm looking forward to our next group event...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition, Scout, DIY
    Tarp
    asym
    I was really nice meeting everybody and i learned a lot. thanks for the advice, tips and great times. the ice creeping around and making noise was sorta spooky, real spooky. the dnr said it was 1 ft thick tho but still sounds eire.

I used a supershelter with a emergency blanket and a blue pad inside my hammock. my feet got cold pretty quick. the wind was blowing it all over the place. my trees were a little close and my hennesy wasnt staked down. this was my first winter hang. i got a new tarp and some whoopies from the raffle so ill be heading out soon to test tho out. a larger tarp would of been nice friday night as my asym was small.

as for the reporter from the paper he called me this morning and we had a nice chat. i explained to him how we all meet on here and answered his questions as best as i could. i passed his number along so hopefully he gets all the information he needs and produces a good article.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast