View Poll Results: how low can you go ( or think you can go) with a 1" CCF pad?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • 35*

1 2.44%
  • 30*

6 14.63%
  • 25*

4 9.76%
  • 20*

7 17.07%
  • 15*

8 19.51%
  • 10*

5 12.20%
  • 5*

2 4.88%
  • 0* or lower

8 19.51%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Evazote is downright sticky. The other night I layered one 40x60 with another doubled over to 30x40 under my torso and nothing moved at all. I also had a more slippery insulmat that stayed put when between them. I was pretty cold at 3 degrees but didn't die. YMMV.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaiden View Post
    Evazote is downright sticky. The other night I layered one 40x60 with another doubled over to 30x40 under my torso and nothing moved at all. I also had a more slippery insulmat that stayed put when between them. I was pretty cold at 3 degrees but didn't die. YMMV.
    Three pads with one doubled over. All without as SPE to hold them together? But still cold at 3*. What was the total thickness of all of these pads?

Edit: NEVER MIND. I just saw the answer on one of your other posts: .95".
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 01-23-2008 at 08:33.

Hammock
    Clark NX270
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG Incubators
    Images
    Gotta go with pads on this one. I have a Mountain Hardwear Ultralight 72 Chair pad and have been comfortable down to low double digits-plus it doubles as camp chair! This is by far my favorite luxury item in my list of camping gear.

I don't think I'll ever sleep in a hammock with a pad again. It wasn't enjoyable that's for sure. Better than the ground but still not enjoyable.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    WB Buckles
    Somehow I missed this conversation in January, but from my experience, I love using my Trail Lite Large in the hammock. That extra width helps inside the hammock and I have not experienced an "uncomfortable" night sleeping on the pad. I have not used an UQ though, so I can't say that one is better than another.

With my TL I have been able to sleep comfortable below freezing while wearing a layer of fleece with gloves and a hood on with a 40 deg MytLite Western Mountaineering bag as a top quilt with enclosed foot pouch.

That said, I am a very warm sleeper and enjoy a "crisp" night's sleep, to the point that my wife complains a lot in the early spring and fall when I like to have the windows open in the bedroom so that I can see my breath in bed!!

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    When asked what she had on when she went to bed Marilyn Monroe responded, 'Channel #5 and sometimes the radio."

It's all well and good to discuss pad thickness n length n width n stuff but I've also found a great variation in how low I can go based on what I wear.

thick socks, fleece pants and shirt, thick fleece pullover hat with ear flaps and a neck gaiter easiily get me 10s of degrees lower than going natural. In any case, I never zip in and my head is always out of the conventional 20* or 40* bags I use.... sometimes with a thin ripstop overbag.
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-14-2008 at 02:27.

Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post
    When asked what she had on when she went to bed Marilyn Monroe responded, 'Channel #5 and sometimes the radio."

It's all well and good to discuss pad thickness n length n width n stuff but I've also found a great variation in how low I can go based on what I wear.

thick socks, fleece pants and shirt, thick fleece pullover hat with ear flaps and a neck gaiter easiily get me 10s of degrees lower than going natural. In any case, I never zip in and my head is always out of the conventional 20* or 40* bags I use.... sometimes with a thin ripstop overbag.
    That's what I was trying to get at in post#20...pads don't keep your warm, they keep you from getting cold(er). It seems to me that, at any given R-value, pads will perform similarly although their physical characteristics may differ. Cold will either come through or it won't. To me, staying warm depends on many things, most importantly, what you have on (or sleep in). The sleep clothing and/or bag also adds a little to the under insulation.

That I'm comfortable in the mid-20s with a thin pad has mostly to do with my sleep clothes...base layer and insulated pants and jacket. If I slept without clothes, I still probably wouldn't feel any cold on the bottom but I most definitely would be cold and probably wet where the skin met the foam.

I like that Monroe quote! It'll probably take me the rest of the morning to get the image out of my head...

FB

Hammock
    HHBP or Expr summer, diyMutts other
    Tarp
    HH Explr or HH Hex
    Insulation
    IXUQ+NeoAr
    Suspension
    Rings+Static line
    Fiddleback said--
    '''That I'm comfortable in the mid-20s with a thin pad has mostly to do with my sleep clothes...base layer and insulated pants and jacket. If I slept without clothes, I still probably wouldn't feel any cold on the bottom but I most definitely would be cold and probably wet where the skin met the foam.'''

Precisely! Tho I prolly wear a little less than you mention in the mid 20s ... if with a 20* bag.
    FYI -- sometimes while carrying a pack uphill, +5* is T shirt weather.
    rk
    Last edited by riverkeeper; 03-14-2008 at 13:56.

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    I got to 30* with a 3/4 thick therma rest pad and car reflector shield, while using a 20* bag.
    Chris

Hammock
    DIY parallelogram/speer
    Tarp
    guidegear camo 12'
    Insulation
    garlington style
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    After a pretty stressful exam week a friend and I went out and it was right about at freezing... he used just a 20* down bag and was fine, I on the other hand felt colder than I had ever been with my holey pad(the blue thing in my pics) and 20*bag which has worked great in 2 snow storms.

I didn't put 2 and 2 together until I got home that the whole week prior to hanging I was deprived of regular sleep and proper nutrition... my metabolism was crashed.

Someone had said that they thought the new slimmer buff Neo might have trouble staying warm, if anything I think he'll be warmer than ever... running hard for 40 min. will crank up your metabolism for a couple hours, lifting for 40 min. will crank it up for close to 24 hrs. As long as he stays fed those big guns will be cranking out heat anyway thanks to the body's natural build/repair process. Interesting way to travel lighter, get in better shape
    "nickels and dimes, yours and mine, did you cash in on your dreams? You don't dream for me no" Third Eye Blind

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast