Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey y'all,

I was thinking that it would be nice to spend both nights on the same campsite(s), although we may have to book a couple of adjacent sites if we keep getting this kind of positive response. Which site(s), I haven't settled on yet. Nothing too arduous to paddle/portage to.

Definitely expect a route map to be posted once we settle on sites.

It'd also be a good idea to get a sense of everyone's canoeing experience, so we can match up the more experienced trippers with the less as required.

My only request would be that each canoe be entirely self sufficient as far as shelter, food and flames go, and be equipped with the mandatory safety gear. Once again, we can work out the details as we go along.

As I write this we have only 78 days before put-in!!! They'll fly by!!!!!

Canoe Lake Portage Store, Canoe Livery and Docks
    Last edited by Chard; 02-23-2011 at 23:41.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    if anyone else is planning to come up on the saturday too. Ièd be happy to coordinate with them even car pool if its convenient.

As far as canoeing exp. I have about ten years exp. and my wife Odd Duck I would put as novice or slightly better, but she has always been at the bow of the canoe so no steering exp.

Ryvr
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Commited! Approved vacation notice for May 13th & 16th is in my "In-box" so I'm in for 3 nights with the paddle out on Monday morning! 2 just isnt enough my Friends!
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 02-24-2011 at 15:50.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I'm in for 3 night as well! Just waiting for approval. Don't want to drive all that way for only 2 nights
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hmm... Three nights eh???

Sounds very interesting. Very interesting indeed!!!

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by chardpp View Post

It'd also be a good idea to get a sense of everyone's canoeing experience, so we can match up the more experienced trippers with the less as required.
    It would also be good to indicate who already has canoes so that those of us that don't and are beginner/novice paddlers could be paired up with more experienced paddlers. It would also give us a sense of how many canoes would need to be rented.

I haven't canoed since I was a teenager, but would rate myself as slightly better than novice.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    ChardPP, are you thinking maybe Tom Thomson Lake at this point? Or maybe head south into Ragged Lake? Lots of sites on both lakes. There's a little less big water going north. That might appeal to the newer paddling folks.

By my count we are up to 9 already.

Blair
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Good idea...

For myself, I'm an experienced paddler with a 16' prospector. As my paddling partners would attest, she feels quite "tippy", but she's designed that way. It's all about tumblehome and rocker and finding the combination in a canoe that suits your taste. For me the prospector does the trick nicely. Low initial stabilty for manouverabilty with a high secondary stability to guard against capsizing.

Canadian canoeing legend Bill Mason's favourite boat was a red Chestnut Prospector, a 16 foot canvas covered wood canoe that he claimed was the most versatile design ever manufactured. I have to agree!!

I was indeed giving serious thought to Tom Thomson. I'll have paddled south through Smoke two weeks earlier, so it would be nice to change things up. There's always Rock - Louisa to consider, but TomT is high on the list. Preferably the island.

I won't worry about counts until we get closer to departure, but 9's really promising.

P.S. Start posting some of your own canoeing pics. Let's go for the most visually interesting thread on the HF forums!!!

Chard.
    Last edited by Chard; 02-24-2011 at 21:05.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    Aww... I'm away from my home PC on a business trip and Chard asks for pics. lol, I'll have to hit that up when I get home.

Hammock
    HH Explorer UL
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x10
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'd have to catagorize myself as a very experienced paddler. We've been going on roughly 4-6 trips annually for the last 32 years. Most of those trips early on where to Algonquin Park. The last 10 years I've paddled crown land instead. You get much the same experience with fewer people and no reservation hassles.

I paddle solo most of the time. Solo paddling appeals to me for the some of the same reasons hammocks do. You get your own space, can go your own way, and it's more comfortable. When I paddle tandem I always seem to be compensating for the person in the front who won't sit in the middle of the seat! My canoe of choice is a Swift Osprey. It's like the Prospector of solo canoes in that it does everything well.

My other solo boat is a Wenonah Advantage. It's single purpose is to go fast!
    I love it on trips that are all traveling with few fishing stops. 33lbs is nice too.

I have a page with some of my canoe trips pictures here. Lots of Algonquin shots.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/osprey981

I also run a well know page online that describes most of the campsites in Massasauga Park.
    A few years back I paddled as much of the park as I could and documented the campsites.
    Massasauga has become too busy for my tastes so most of the info is now sent to me from other paddlers.

http://www.angelfire.com/blues2/bcaron/

Blair
    " I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast