Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images

Eastern Great Lakes Hang - Spring 2011 - Canoeing into Algonquin

Coming on the heels of a great, albeit too short, winter hang in southern Ontario, I'd like to get the ball rolling on a spring canoe hang into Algonquin Provincial Park on the weekend of May 13-15, 2011. Algonquin is a world class canoeing destination that I've been paddling for the last 30 years. We'll launch from the Highway 60 corridor and likely paddle for 2-3 hours to our campsite, hopefully picking up a few trout along the way. The exact sites I'll be reserving will depend on the number of Slingers intetrested.

This should be a repeat of the good times we had on the first hammock hang into Algonquin in the fall of 2010: Trip Report.

Expect blackflies to be out between mid-May to late June, and mosquitoes between mid to late May to July. We might be lucky and finish our trip just as the bugs get going, but come prepared nonetheless. That also goes for weather that can range from just below freezing to downright hot. While some members will want to bring their own, canoes are readily available for rent in and around the park.

You can get more information about Algonquin Provincial Park at http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/.

We can get into the details later of trip planning later, but try to get the weekend off. Let's get this hang going!!! It should be a blast!!!

Ontario Hang - Feb 2011 - Valen's
    Ontario Hang - Fall 2010 - Algonquin Park
    Ontario Hang - Aug 2010 - Bon Echo
    Last edited by Chard; 02-21-2011 at 16:37.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hey chardpp. So the date and destination are pretty much confirmed and its just the numbers that need to be determined? I have to put in my tentative vacation request in to work. I would hate to get it off and then have the trip date change. Thanks for getting the ball rolling.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    It's like this..

I'm trying to get in while the fishing's still good and hopefully before the bugs are out in full force. I'm certainly open for alternate dates, but my reasoning is to settle on a date early and work to that rather than to leave it up in the air too long.

I'll be up in the park on the April 30 - May 1st weekend for my annual spring trout season opener. The following weekend's Mother's Day (May 8th), so any plans are scuttled if you value your hide. That leaves the next weekend, the 13th.

Let's see how interest develops and go from there, but for now, let's work towards the 13th.

Even in wind and rain, we manage to have a great time...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Well I think having the date set and working towards that is a good idea otherwise it'll be be like the Valens hang and materialize at the last minute. I think it's a good time of year and it works for your fishing. I'll work towards getting some vacation days for May 13 - 15 but it looks very promising for me.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Hey chardpp, If we settle on May 13-15 I'm in. I wont be able to make any other weekend in May so I'm hoping this works for everyone?
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    FYI Friday is the only Friday 13th, for 2011. So I wont be able to make it up for that one, Everyone at my work will be at Port Dover for the festivities.

Hope I can hook up with you guys on another trip. BTW just bought a Bear Mountain Bridge cant wait to get it out.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Hey Ryvr,

Do you spend the entire weekend in Port Dover? If not, I'm sure we could arrange for an express ferry for you. Something to consider.

Hammock
    DIY Lazy Ryvr Bridge, Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Hard Rock Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY Karo UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images
    If you talk to the ppl at my work it is lol, No I dont go myself (no motor cycle) but I will more then likely be the guy covering the weekend. Part of the downside to working for a family run business, they sorta take any excuse to not be at work. Ill see if there is any way I can get it off but history sorta dictates that it wont be possible.
    When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by [o]TTeR View Post
    Hey chardpp, If we settle on May 13-15 I'm in. I wont be able to make any other weekend in May so I'm hoping this works for everyone?
    Just sat down with my wife to plan out the summer and for May, the 13 -15 is the only weekend for me as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryvr View Post
    FYI Friday is the only Friday 13th, for 2011. So I wont be able to make it up for that one, Everyone at my work will be at Port Dover for the festivities.

Hope I can hook up with you guys on another trip. BTW just bought a Bear Mountain Bridge cant wait to get it out.
    Hope you can work something out at your work. Let us know how the hammock works out.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Karo + HG TQ
    Suspension
    AHE Web/Buckles
    Images
    That weekend should be good for me. What time were you considering going in on the Friday? Shouldn't be a huge issue to get the one day, but you never know. I'll work on it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast