Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies

My first sewing project...1.1 dble with bugnet, almost finished...

Well, it's been an exciting couple of weeks. I've only had a few hours about every other day or two, so the slow progress.

Questions in red, if anyone cares to contribute wisdom/experience to my project

Starting out..
    First, I cut the fabric and sewed 14 meters of rolled hem (sides) before rolling the ends. That kind of continued practice makes you better in a hurry. I had the patience to use pins for about the first 50 cm

Whipping...
    I went with a standard "Knotty" whipping, and the sides of this very wide hammock were floppy, but I thought they'd tighten up one the ridge line, tie-outs and netting were up.

This baby is wide, only smallish roll hems on the sides of 60 inch fabric. A super-comfortable, super-straight lie, but floppy sides. I might try a Just Jeff whip before considering my whip "permanent".

Netting...
    in one superhuman session, I sewed the entire zipper (one super-long one) onto the hammock side. Per Scott's advice, I went with one continuous zipper that starts and ends in the back (#3 coil) with three sliders. Next project, I might make that two separate zippers, both with 3 sliders. That was a sweat I didn't think I could do as a total novice, but I just went slow and, to my surprise, managed.

She won't win any beauty contests, but should be functional.

Today was an unseasonably warm day and I had some free time to get out there and start the bug net. First, I made up the netting "trapezoid" measurements that were posted back in 2007 by Headchange4U...but when I went to transfer those onto the netting I had, to my horror the measurements would not fit in the intended orientation on the fabric I had . There was enough netting, just not wide enough to start out with the large rectangle that the original HC directions had intended.

As always, when in doubt, I had to go "old school" . With the rig still set up outside with the tie-outs, I laid the netting over the ridge line ("standard" 83%) and proceeded to pin the netting to the other half of the zipper.

I used almost 100 pins to do it, but finally got it done. I was not sure how tight to make the netting as I went along (more on this later).

Test-lie in the thorny lair of death...
    I knew it wouldn't be pleasant, but I had to try out the lay with the netting in place. I carefully unzipped one side, skirting about 20 needles and gingerly got inside this Iron Maiden .

I had released the side tie-outs before I got in (long story, I had to in order to get in). The bug netting was slightly droopier on the sides than I had hoped, but perhaps the tie-outs would help that.

Direction of lie...
    In my incredibly short history of hammock camping, I've noticed in myself a strong comfort preference of laying feet left/head right, when on my back. This is opposite of most tie-outs I've seen and I had even considered reversing the tie outs, but too late now, as I've pinned (but not sewn) the netting on...and I'm not doing that again.
    Has anyone used "reverse" tie-out orientation?

Next step...
    Tonight when I get home, I am either going to:
    - sew the netting on as is...or
    - re-hang and take the netting in a bit in the floppy parts.

However, I could sew it on w/o grossgrain, do a test hang and then sew another fold in the netting to take up slack if I feel it's still too loose. I could essentially use the grossgrain as a "cap" at the end when I'm satisfied with the taughtness.
    Has anyone tried this method?

Some pictures attached. I was too busy/happy to take pictures of the netting in progress today. I had my phone to take pictures, but almost killed myself when I got a call getting into the hammock and suffered multiple impalements on the needles while juggling the phone . After that, I put the phone in the house....

Overall, up to now....
    My wife is really amazed. I keep telling her I don't know anything about sewing, I only know how to "put stuff together". This time, I'm using thread instead of screw, nails or tenons.

I'm ecstatic is heck with the results so far, especially for a total sewing novice like me . Many thanks to this forum for the wisdom...
    - It's a very comfortable hammock
    - The camo rocks
    - I'll have bug protection that zips down into a peak bag (not removable)
    - I'll have double layer 1.1 oz for xtra bug protection (needed here in Japan) and maybe to allow pad use (though we have UQs on the way).

Next...
    - Finish bug netting
    - Make peak bag for netting
    - Sew in permanent tie-outs
    - Sew two hammock layers together; upper 50% on left, lower 50% on right
    - install 1 -3 velcro attachment points between layers on upper right and lower left for closable pad insertion

Hope to have this baby out this weekend near Mt. Fui...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DiscoveryDiver; 02-22-2011 at 01:48.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    My wife is really amazed. I keep telling her I don't know anything about sewing, I only know how to "put stuff together". This time, I'm using thread instead of screw, nails or tenons. :
    I think we are all kindred souls and the stories we share are similar to the point of syncronicity. Nice details. I think you just figured out the tao of hammocks.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by grok View Post
    I think we are all kindred souls and the stories we share are similar to the point of synchronicity. Nice details. I think you just figured out the Tao of hammocks.
    .......... Thanks!

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    ...more photos with the bugnet on for another fit check...

This hammock is so wide, it's really made for a big person. The next one I build will definitely have wider hems on the sides to make it thinner.

I think I might sew it as is and play with the ridge line since that is a bit loose at the moment and will tighten things up a bit.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Excellent hammock project!
    I'm about to embark on my own 1st DIY hammock and all the details you posted are really helping me ... THANKS!
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Skookum Stealth
    Tarp
    Skookum Stealth
    Insulation
    WM Blue
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slingz
    Images
    Nicely done sir!

-skookum

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    That is some quality sewing you have there my friend, well done. Syb = jealous!
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks everyone...I'm taking the day off from work today and will likely finish up the hammock and post more pictures.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Update..

Well, I'm basically done. Left to do:

- Maybe, sew in a few strips of velcro for the two sections I left open for possible pad insertion.

I slept in it last night. Very comfortable ride. I ended up waking at 3 pm when it started to sprinkle rain (no tarp in my front yard).

I'm pretty jazzed...I'll be going camping with the boys this weekend for more use (if no rain) but I might get started on second hammock for my wife.

I think this one took me about 4 days of so on concentrated work. I'd like to finish one more before March 15th, which should not be a problem. I've got enough fabric for 4 dbl layer rigs, but I don't know if I'll make the last two now since I got HHs for the boys (now getting a #4 mod). I wasn't confident that I could build 4 hammocks by our March 15th departure...good thing I got the two HHs for insurance...they really took the pressure off me.

Some pictures...
    Finished unit with Yuko inside
    My simple design for side tie-out
    Rig with net zipped down to foot end

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Hammock looks great!

Sorry for the late response but you can definitely build your hammock for laying head right/feet left. That's my preferred position.

I see you have material at each end going over the ridgeline, sort of a HH/Blackbird hybrid. Did that resolve the floppy sides?

WV has a great way of dealing with floppy sides that gets around the problem of excess strain on sides when sitting on the edge or getting in and out. He sews a channel on a section the side and puts a piece of bungee inside. The bungee takes up the slack but stretches when you sit on the edge.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast