Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quilt vs Bag in a Hammock

I have been deliberating between a quilt and a specialty type bag for my hammock. I know that a mummy style bag requires too much contortionist maneuvering to enjoy and that there are options such as the JRB or Nunatak style quilts or the Feathered Friends Wren bag. I need advice from those who have experience with these sleeping systems as to pros and cons. Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    If you do most of your hiking in the southeast (TN?) go with a quilt with proper bottom insulation. In colder climates the bag like the FF Wren could be better. I think Turk on this forum uses the FF.
    Last edited by hangnout; 01-15-2008 at 19:39.

Thanks Hang. Yes I see what you mean and I debated on doing that except I'll need to have a warmer climate system and a colder one. Was trying to find a way to go with one or the other. I thought about using the JRB nest along with the Rocky Mtn. top quilt in hopes of covering the bases but then again I really like the idea of the convenience and warmth of just using a Wren.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think the Rocky Mtn has 3.5 loft while the Winter Wren has 4.5 but this includes the part you are laying on so you could only be getting about 2.25 of loft on top. The Rocky Mtn should be warmer. I assume you are using a HH since you mentioned the Nest. In really cold weather you would probably use the Rocky Mtn on bottom and supplement the Nest on top with more clothing assuming you are not using a pad. The Wren could not be switched to an UQ thus requiring a pad in low temps.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    its a tough call for sure. I have 4 bags, and 4 quilts that i own, and would recommend to anyone using hammocks. Wearables - synthetic exped wallcreeper, down FF rock wren.
    The folks at feathered friends are awesome to deal with. I had my wren customized with a full length zipper, and added grossgrain loops so it can be used as a mummy bag, fully opened top quilt, or as an underquilt. very versatile. You would not be disappointed with it.

A great hidden gem has been the US army 3 pcs bag and bivy combo. Both the down and synthetic bags are centre zip bags, and when separated, it cuts down the weight penalty a great deal. use just one of them in cool weather or both together, gets you down to some pretty low temps. They can be had quite reasonably on ebay.

Quilts - JRB nest, rocky mountain no sniveller, old rag mountain, and a recent addition of the katahdin. All are awesome products. Because it is easier to vent an underquilt in warmer weather, i highly recommend going with a warmer quilt if you plan to only buy one. Especially if you plan to do any cold weather hanging. in mild weather you could even consider going with a warmer underquilt, and no top quilt. simply sleep in extra layers. (also why i like breathable rain gear- and insulated soft shells)

a note on the katahdin quilt. - i literally just got it, but in only one test night, i am blown away. why has nobody else posted on this forum about how awesome these extra large quilts are. used as a pod, completely surrounding a top loading hammock (in my case an eno single) the thing is amazing. i finally found the perfect compromise between top quilt and bag. I get all the sealed in warmth of using a full bag, but at the same time, its fully surrounding the hammock and serves as bottom and side insulation. so why the heck aren't more people using insulated pods. ?

ounce for ounce the katahdin is a complete insulation solution that is the warmest single piece of gear out of anything i own or have tried.
    Last edited by turk; 01-15-2008 at 22:56.

Hammock
    WL Night Owl
    Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have a JRB Katahdin quilt that I bought last year, one of the first ones, and it's awesome. It's been fine for three season ground camping but I haven't tried it in a hammock yet but I am sure it will be just fine. I'm going to try winter camping next year and will likely splurge on a Nunatak Arc Expedition.

- JT

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    a note on the katahdin quilt. - i literally just got it, but in only one test night, i am blown away. why has nobody else posted on this forum about how awesome these extra large quilts are. used as a pod, completely surrounding a top loading hammock (in my case an eno single) the thing is amazing. i finally found the perfect compromise between top quilt and bag. I get all the sealed in warmth of using a full bag, but at the same time, its fully surrounding the hammock and serves as bottom and side insulation. so why the heck aren't more people using insulated pods. ?

ounce for ounce the katahdin is a complete insulation solution that is the warmest single piece of gear out of anything i own or have tried.
    Right on, Bro! I have been wondering that myself recently.

It sounds like you have had a similar reaction to the Katahdin as I have had to the PeaPod! And your point about the "sealed in" benefits are right on. I have never been able to do as well- warmth wise- using my bags as quilts compared to using them as designed. Do to drafts around the neck and shoulder area. Well, my light summer bag might still do even better used as a bag, but it hardly matters now. It has been more than adequate in quilt mode once I am in the pod. That's like "in the zone", only better!

Thanks for all the replies.
    Turk, do you know or remember how much the full length zipper option for the Wren cost?
    Will the Katahdin be practical with a Hennessy as it has a top bug netting? And how difficult is it to wrap the hammock with? Does it take extra time and effort as opposed to just getting into the Wren and settling in?

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    I have been deliberating between a quilt and a specialty type bag for my hammock. I know that a mummy style bag requires too much contortionist maneuvering to enjoy and that there are options such as the JRB or Nunatak style quilts or the Feathered Friends Wren bag. I need advice from those who have experience with these sleeping systems as to pros and cons. Thanks!
    i just use my sleeping bag as a quilt.no big deal.it simple and it works neo
    the matrix has you

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Turk, do you know or remember how much the full length zipper option for the Wren cost?
    Will the Katahdin be practical with a Hennessy as it has a top bug netting? And how difficult is it to wrap the hammock with? Does it take extra time and effort as opposed to just getting into the Wren and settling in?
    the full zip on the wren i think was 25 or 35 $ to have done. well worth it.

the katahdin will definitely not work with the hennessy hammocks. only top loading hammocks that do not have built in bug netting. it is not more difficult to use. however be aware that even if you jump in the wren, you still need to address your bottom insulation. like any other bag, the wren will compress underneath you. you would still want a pad or underquilt system to use with the wren bag. Where the katahdin stands out is in that it is both a top and bottom insulation solution in one piece of gear.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast