Tarp
    WL Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Quilts + Body Fat
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turk View Post
    Where the katahdin stands out is in that it is both a top and bottom insulation solution in one piece of gear.
    Unless you are a big guy like me. I had to buy a Katahdin for my top quilt because all other quilts were too small.

- JT

Hammock
    DIY zHammock / WB BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Spinntex
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts, GG Pad
    One thing about using the katadhin as a pod bag, you have to be a little more narrow in the shoulders for it to work. i have pretty wide shoulders and had a hard time getting a PeaPod to seal up to my face. Maybe if I loose a few pounds that would help. Well, I think loosing a few pounds is a good idea anyway. Just my $.02
    NREMT-B, WEMT
    CPR goes up and down, up and down......because my patient's dead.
    Hanger Fromally Known as Ghost93.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost93 View Post
    One thing about using the katadhin as a pod bag, you have to be a little more narrow in the shoulders for it to work. i have pretty wide shoulders and had a hard time getting a PeaPod to seal up to my face. Maybe if I loose a few pounds that would help. Well, I think loosing a few pounds is a good idea anyway. Just my $.02
    I believe the PeaPod is a bit wider than the Katahdin. So, if you had a hard time sealing up the PeaPod, you would for sure with the Katahdin.

wren it is!

Well, I think tomorrow, if I don't change my mind again by then, I'll order up the Wren with extended zipper. I have the Supershelter underpad for the Hennessy and I'm in the process of covering the pad with silnylon (the pad is a bit frail and susceptible to absorbing moisture as is). If that combo doesn't keep me warm then I'll get the JRB nest.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Well, I think tomorrow, if I don't change my mind again by then, I'll order up the Wren with extended zipper. I have the Supershelter underpad for the Hennessy and I'm in the process of covering the pad with silnylon (the pad is a bit frail and susceptible to absorbing moisture as is). If that combo doesn't keep me warm then I'll get the JRB nest.
    Thanks!
    I think a Rock Wren and a Nest is about as good as it gets. You'll probably need a short pad under your feet, more for drafts than insulation.

Images
    Thanks!
    When I first read that, I thought "there is going to be condensation problems on that sil nylon". BUT, what the heck, I put a WM 2 oz $2 space blanket over my HH underpad anyway, and I've never had any significant condensation problems. There might be a small amount on the space blanket sometimes, but it never seems to get me or my hammock wet. So I'm not sure the sil-nylon cover might not be any worse.

On the other hand, the only time my underpad has ever become noticeably damp was the one time (in the humid foggy Olympic Mtns) I DID NOT use the space blanket. And that night there was a little condensation down in the undercover and the foot of the underpad was pretty damp. But it quickly dried out.

BillyBob: yes it was condensation that got my undercover pad wet and I've already got a 2" tear in it, but at least its not a full thickness tear. So by covering both sides with silnylon I'm hoping to extend its effective usefulness. The darn thing sure wasn't cheap. By covering the entire pad it will be much more convenient also packing and unpacking. I'm surprised Hennessy doesn't cover them from the factory.

Images
    BillyBob: yes it was condensation that got my undercover pad wet and I've already got a 2" tear in it, but at least its not a full thickness tear. So by covering both sides with silnylon I'm hoping to extend its effective usefulness. The darn thing sure wasn't cheap. By covering the entire pad it will be much more convenient also packing and unpacking. I'm surprised Hennessy doesn't cover them from the factory.
    Did you use the space blanket that time you got condensation? Like I said, the only time I ever had a problem was the one time I didn't use it.

It is probably just a weight issue- as to why Hennessy doesn't cover them. I've had several holes in mine, but I just patched with seam sealer. Looks rough, but functions good as new. I've though about covering mine from time to time, but ended up not bothering.

BB: no I didn't have a space blanket, the condensation occurred on a 35* night BUT I had the overcover on too, and there was no wind. There was wetness at one end can't remember which.

In your browser, on the left holding this pose in real-time, for your amusement
    Hammock
    WBBBH (summer) and WBTH (3 season)
    Tarp
    Not blown away yet
    Insulation
    UQ Connoisseur
    Suspension
    Fig-9's no huggers
    Images
    when selecting your fabrics from FF, you want the wren made out of, be sure to make it as breathable as possible. don't want to have condensation issues with a very expensive bag, when you're hanging in the cold. Let us know what fabric combination you go with.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast