Hammock
    Grand trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    8x10 OES Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New to hammocks. Have a setup in mind. Could use fine tuning.

Hey Everybody,

First post here in the hammockforums. Looks like a bunch of great people here, with lots and lots (did I say lots?) of good info.

So here it goes:

So I've never camped with hammocks before. I do however love how comfortable they are, and would like to get a good setup to get started.

(Please excuse lack of acronyms, or odd ways to describe hammock features.)

So here's where my brain is at while I'm typing this:

I'm not anal about weight, so if some weight is gained through ease of setting up that is fine. Just don't want to go overboard either.

I want a good quality hammock. The two hammocks I'm thinking of are

Grand Trunk ultra light travel hammock, or the eno doublenest. I know there is a decent price gap there, but I really can't decide between the two. I want to be able to lay in the tarp with a sleeping bag.

I will be using a cheap tarp setup up with a diamond pattern. I will use the ridge line to hang the mosquito net. I camp during the summer in California and the rest of the year I live in texas. So snow is not a problem.

Now comes the most confusing and complicated part of hammock style camping, but I think I've got it figured out. How to attach thr hammock to the tree. I know there are a ton of variables that play into what kind of setup you do, but there two ways that strike me as easy, and pretty light.

Way 1:

this way looks super simple and appeals to me alot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYl403js9nU

The only thing I don't like about this way is the fact that it doesn't use tree huggers. But could you not just use thicker diameter rope to help protect the tree?

Way 2: This way is probably one of the most recommend that I could see on the forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

The ring buckle setup. This one really appeals to me. However there seem to be two different ways to set it up. One is the way right there, and then this way in which the rings are attached to the tent itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vv9...eature=related

I kind like this way better since you have a long piece of "tree hugger" webbing and would be easier to accommodate for different size trees, right?

So for my theoretical setup, here's what I'm thinking:

ENO Doublenest
    Some carabiners like these
    Some rappel rings
    Some tree 6' tree huggers (although I have 2 pieces of seat belt webbing about 5'10 long)
    (need some help on some cord? Since paracord is to stretchy I don't what else to buy, and where.

Whew this is a long post...Hope you guys can help me out (if you feel like reading all this crap)

Thanks a ton everbody,
    -Richard

Hammock
    Eno Doublenest
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    1" Webbing
    In my (biased) opinion, I would go with the Eno Double Nest. Very roomy, and comfortable. Not the lightest, but would work for car camping.

As for suspension, I think that the forum concurs (generally) on tree huggers (webbing), and whoopie slings for their simplicity, ease of use, and low weight.

Most who go with the ENO (myself included) will cut off the 'rope' on both ends, and larks-head the fixed end of a whoopie-sling on there. If weight is an issue, ditch the heavy carabiners that came with the ENO, and go for lighter carabiners, or use toggles for your whoopie slings.

There are several hammock-forums members who sell all of the wonderful hammock products you'll ever need, so I would suggest to check out their sites as well.

The biggest thing is for you to do what's right for you. Everyone here has usually tried more than one setup, and goes with what works best for them. My advice is to try different approaches, and go with what you like.

Good luck!
    Dave
    “Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.”
    -Abe Lincoln

"There is no replacement for displacement" - Unknown

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Hey EDDAKA, check out Grizz's 3 part series: A brief primer on hammock suspension in the suspension forum. Very useful info.

You'll find a large majority here use amsteel and webbing in combination in some way or another. In the end, whatever works and does not harm the trees is all that matters but if you will be weight conscious in the future then there are many light weight and down right cool options.

Just as an aside, the set up in the video you linked looked to be too horizontal. The more horizontal, the more exponential force is exerted on the suspension and the trees. Also if the hammock is strung too tight you will not be able to get a comfy diagonal lay. 30 degrees is a good starting point for you suspension to be hanging.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    HH Explorer deluxe,1.1dbl WB
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    pad, 3season nest
    Suspension
    straps/whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by EDDAKA View Post
    Hey Everybody,

First post here in the hammockforums. Looks like a bunch of great people here, with lots and lots (did I say lots?) of good info.

So here it goes:

So I've never camped with hammocks before. I do however love how comfortable they are, and would like to get a good setup to get started.

(Please excuse lack of acronyms, or odd ways to describe hammock features.)

So here's where my brain is at while I'm typing this:

I'm not anal about weight, so if some weight is gained through ease of setting up that is fine. Just don't want to go overboard either.

I want a good quality hammock. The two hammocks I'm thinking of are

Grand Trunk ultra light travel hammock, or the eno doublenest. I know there is a decent price gap there, but I really can't decide between the two. I want to be able to lay in the tarp with a sleeping bag.

I will be using a cheap tarp setup up with a diamond pattern. I will use the ridge line to hang the mosquito net. I camp during the summer in California and the rest of the year I live in texas. So snow is not a problem.

Now comes the most confusing and complicated part of hammock style camping, but I think I've got it figured out. How to attach thr hammock to the tree. I know there are a ton of variables that play into what kind of setup you do, but there two ways that strike me as easy, and pretty light.

Way 1:

this way looks super simple and appeals to me alot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYl403js9nU

The only thing I don't like about this way is the fact that it doesn't use tree huggers. But could you not just use thicker diameter rope to help protect the tree?

Way 2: This way is probably one of the most recommend that I could see on the forum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJTjful66M

The ring buckle setup. This one really appeals to me. However there seem to be two different ways to set it up. One is the way right there, and then this way in which the rings are attached to the tent itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6Vv9...eature=related

I kind like this way better since you have a long piece of "tree hugger" webbing and would be easier to accommodate for different size trees, right?

So for my theoretical setup, here's what I'm thinking:

ENO Doublenest
    Some carabiners like these
    Some rappel rings
    Some tree 6' tree huggers (although I have 2 pieces of seat belt webbing about 5'10 long)
    (need some help on some cord? Since paracord is to stretchy I don't what else to buy, and where.

Whew this is a long post...Hope you guys can help me out (if you feel like reading all this crap)

Thanks a ton everbody,
    -Richard

hey man here's my 2 cents
    I purchased a hennessey expedition and went with light weight carabiners, and the omega rappel rings. This set up worked, but was kinda irritating. The rings will separate, and will lay beside each instead of perfectly on top. really aggravating, so next I got a Warbonnet black bird which had the ring and buckle. this set up was nice, no problems no aggravation or headaches.
    Soon I ordered the whoopie sling set up because everyone talks so good about them, and in my opinion they are the best, easy to use, simple, lighter. By far my favorite.
    learning everyday...

Hammock
    Grand trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    8x10 OES Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB greylock
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey guys,

So after doing a bit more research I decided on the whoopie slings "all in one system"

I will also be buying a grand trunk ultralight hammock. I really like how cheap it is, and the people that have one them seem to like it. This seems like a relatively cheap setup to get me started! One day I may buy one of them warbonnet black birds

• + New Posts