Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT

Tom Hennessy winters on New Zealand's Stewart Island

I am sure most folks have heard the news today about the earthquake in New Zealand.

By chance last evening I was reading some of the interviews of camping gear manufacturers on the hikingfindland web site.
    One of the interviews I read was the interview of Tom Hennessy.

It mentioned that Tom spends his winters on Stewart Island in N.Z. This is mentioned just below the picture of his studio on S.I. I believe the quake was centered on South Island which is the location of Christ Church.

Any one on this list with close contact with the HH hammock folks know if Tom is ok?

http://www.hikinginfinland.com/2010/...-hennessy.html

http://www.brandonsun.com/world/brea...wAllComments=y

Reports are of estimated 400 killed in quake.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Nea...111/story.html

Oh, found a map. Steward Island is just off the southern end of South Island.

http://danny.oz.au/travel/new-zealand/

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    I've been in touch with Dana from Aarn USA and he hasn't heard back from Aarn Design, which is located in Christchurch.

Prayers for all in NZ!

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I've been in touch with Dana from Aarn USA and he hasn't heard back from Aarn Design, which is located in Christchurch.

Prayers for all in NZ!
    The earthquake was centered in Christchurch, which is exactly where Aarn Designs is located, and where our US partner Mark lives. All I have heard is that Mark and family are doing good, but some belongings are damaged, and they have no power.

Last I knew, Aarn Tate is in the Swiss Alps right now testing equipment. But his partner Devi is still in Christchurch. I have not gotten any news from or about Devi yet. We are hoping they are ok. I will email them about Tom Hennessy and see if he is overseas and ok.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

Hammock
    WBBB,Travler
    Tarp
    SWT
    I emailed the HH contact address last evening and received two replies from Ann a couple of hours later. She said that Stewart Island is an 8 hour drive + 1 hour ferry ride from Christ Church and they were quite fine.

She also said that Aarn is located northeast of CC and that the major damage from the quake was in center of the city and southward. She emailed me again about 30 minutes later saying Tom had tried to call Aarn , the phone rings but no one answers. So hoping that those folks are ok and it is just a problem with massive damage to the communications system.

fwiw

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    KA Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    1" webbing
    After e-miling HH, this is what i got.

Hi Ken - Thanks for your concern, Tom and Ann are fine. They were about 8 hours away from the earthquake in NZ and didn't feel a thing. Our thoughts are definitely with the people of Christchurch as they try to recover from the damage.
    Thanks - Keltie

I've heard that Devi at Aarn Design is safe and well. Still no direct contact with any of them, just forwards from friends and relatives that all are safe. No power or water though, and clean up and recovery is going to take a long time. Thank you all for caring.
    AARN USA - North America Distributors

• + New Posts