HG CF 4s
    Insulation
    Shamu & RAB
    Suspension
    All in One whoopie
    Images

...and here I am!

Hello all,

I have been a long time outdoors enthusiast. I grew up in southern Indiana running around in a cow pasture. I've always enjoyed camping & hiking although was more active in my youth. It's been at least a good 10 years since I had an extended outdoor adventure and have recently decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail.

I have some preparation to do as I am notably out of shape physically and my gear is not really up to par for such a journey. I have been planning smaller hikes in my local area, for this summer, to meet that goal. But, my gear is getting an overhaul as well. I recently decided a hammock was the way to go; for numerous reasons. I have chosen an ENO double nest (I'm a big guy) and in the process of trying to find "how-to" on turning a sleeping bag into an under quilt I found this place.

I'm hoping to share the experience of my preparation and hike with as many people as are interested, probably through youtube, primarily. And, in turn become part of some great communities. I'm sure I can learn a great deal from this community. Hopefully I too will have something to contribute that will be of use to others; I have alot of great ideas brewing. I''m thinking of adding a footbox to the ENO as well as some other mods.

-A.A

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to HF! Glad you found us. I think you will benefit greatly from all of the info here, from folks who have done what you plan to do hike-wise, as well as those who have gone before you into the DIY deep-end.

Before you mod your ENO with a footbox, be sure to ask around for advice. I'm sure you'll be up on the latest and greatest mods in no time.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum! Fantastic people here and tons of information. Can't go wrong.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Aaron:
    Welcome to HF from Bama.........As a fellow Big guy and ENO DN owner I have to ask: "why add a footbox?" I have found that I am very comfortable in the ENO the way it is.......I also understand the comfy lay one can get from the footbox on the WBBB as I have one of those as well. Before you tear the ENO apart try this........put and adjustable ridgeline on the hammock so you can fine tune the diagnol lay of the of the hammock. Also check out Shug 10 part video series for Newbs, great way to come up with ideas and mods!!!!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Shug says Hey and a Whooooo Buddy Welcome!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Welcome to HF! Lots of good info here for your upcoming DIY projects.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    welcome and howdy from high point nc

Hammock
    GrizzBridge
    I'm hoping to share the experience of my preparation and hike with as many people as are interested, probably through youtube, primarily. And, in turn become part of some great communities. I'm sure I can learn a great deal from this community. Hopefully I too will have something to contribute that will be of use to others; I have alot of great ideas brewing. I''m thinking of adding a footbox to the ENO as well as some other mods.

Welcome, this is a great place to learn. I've learned an imense amount. Great bunch of folks here.
    Fancee Feest = preferred alcohol stove of "informed backpackers"

Hammock
    DIY The Crippler
    Tarp
    Cuben Refugee
    Insulation
    The Ex-gf
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Check out the DIY sections. That place will give you plenty of ideas to add some gear and save you some dough. Welcome to HF!

Fronkey

Welcome!

What part of southern indiana? I spent quite a bit of time around Tell City.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast