HH Ultralight A-sym Explorer
    Tarp
    HH A-sym tarp
    Insulation
    Full Shamu IX UQ
    Suspension
    rap ring/carabiner

TESTAMONIAL: Molly Mac Gear Shamu IX UQ

I received my shamu IX underquilt last week from Tree to Tree trail gear and finally had a chance to test it out last night. Temps were ~39 degrees and I was TOASTY warm. I had my 25 degree sleeping bag as my top quilt and slept in only my long johns. The quilt fit me as snug as a bug in a rug I am amazed at how warm it keeps me given it's size and weight. Man, this insultex is really powerful stuff.

Hat's off to you Mac for creating such a great product. Anyone who is on the fence about getting a Shamu--PULL THE DARN TRIGGER ALREADY--You won't regret it! Also, Dale over at Tree to Tree trail gear was awesome. I had originally ordered the Universal IX UQ (which is retired) but due to a snafu in the TTTG shopping cart, I was able to place the order. Dale sent me the shamu at no additional cost because of the error--talk about great customer service!! I am glad he did, because this baby is sweet! I will order all my gear from him going forward if they have what I am looking for.

I am headed out on a backpacking trip into the superstitions this weekend and temps are supposed to get into the low 30's. With my new Shamu, I know I will sleep comfortably
    "I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once."— Daniel Boone

Images
    Awesome to hear! I just got the 3/4 Baby Orca and can't say enough about it already. That IX really is amazing!!! I thought it would only do good down to 40F, but I was in it around 30F and was still very warm!

Looking forward to hearing more about your trip, and seeing pics of the Shamu in action!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH A-sym tarp
    Insulation
    Full Shamu IX UQ
    Suspension
    rap ring/carabiner
    Right on Joe! Yeah, That Mac makes some pretty good gear eh? I will of course post pics of the shamu in action We are headed to a 192 foot waterfall in the heart of the desert. It should be a great trip.
    "I've never been lost, but I was mighty turned around for three days once."— Daniel Boone

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sheideman View Post
    We are headed to a 192 foot waterfall in the heart of the desert. It should be a great trip.
    Woa! That sounds like an awesome trip! Really looking forward to hearing about and seeing pics of this!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH A-sym tarp
    Insulation
    Full Shamu IX UQ
    Suspension
    rap ring/carabiner

Just got back from trip. Shamu IX UQ performed beautifully!

I just returned from a 2 night backpacking trip. Just like my test, the Shamu performed beautifully. Once I got the hang of it by practicing in my backyard before the trip, hanging the UQ was super simple and fit snugly

On Sat. night, temps got down into the high 20's and we had a snow storm with a TON of wind. Woke up to about 3 inches of snow on the ground.

Still slept very warm with the UQ and my 25 degree bag. Once again, I was very pleased with the shamu. It actually exceeded my expectations in terms of it's warmth.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    That may be a record low for a Shamu by itself, regardless of what was on top of you! Good report, and thanks for the kind words, fellas!

- MacEntyre
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH A-sym tarp
    Insulation
    Full Shamu IX UQ
    Suspension
    rap ring/carabiner
    No Thank YOU Mac! Your response makes me think that I should point out that I am NOT a cold sleeper. I have hung with temps into the 40's with nothing underneath and been comfortable. One of my secrets is that I wear Under Armor Heat Gear (long johns and top)as my base layer which I find to be extremely warm. I am also really impressed at how well the IX performs in the wind. We had a ton of wind and I barely felt it. Good stuff man

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sheideman View Post
    No Thank YOU Mac! Your response makes me think that I should point out that I am NOT a cold sleeper. I have hung with temps into the 40's with nothing underneath and been comfortable. One of my secrets is that I wear Under Armor Heat Gear (long johns and top)as my base layer which I find to be extremely warm. I am also really impressed at how well the IX performs in the wind. We had a ton of wind and I barely felt it. Good stuff man
    Thanks for this info! IX is intriguing stuff!

Hammock
    Warbonnet(s)
    Tarp
    situational
    Insulation
    Love+down+IX
    Suspension
    Straps

Another test

Ok, so I am still sorting out my kit for hammocking, and over the President's weekend I camped out in my backyard. Snowed about a foot, and temperatures were in the low to mid 20's. I used a 25 degree WM Alder bag, and underneath an Shamu IX under quilt, space blanket, and the 1/4" thin light evazote pad from Gossamer gear. Also a couple of shots of Don Julio prior to sleep. This will be my set up for all but the coldest conditions.

When I first went to sleep, I was too hot and had to take off my hat. I slept in thermals and lightweight fleece on both top and bottom. I think just thermals would have been better. Slept well, other than being slightly warm. In hindsight, I should have just gone with the Shamu alone, but I had to get a good night's rest, as the skiing was really good the next day. That's what testing is for...

I think for conditions down to 30, and maybe lower, the Shamu alone will be great. In my mind, I don't see how I can get away from carrying some sorta ground pad, as in the west, there are many places that are treeless and going to ground is a real possibility. This set up is fairly light and compact, with the exception of the foam which is super light and NOT compact. I have a BA pad and several thermarests with slow leaks and multiple patches, and I think I am over thei inflatable stuff for a bit.

Thoroughly impressed with the Shamu. Light, warm, and will fit in the stock WBBB stuff sack, still attached to the hammock.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    i went to TTTG to check out the description of the UQ. what's the insultube? is it as simple as it sounds, just an extra piece of insultex in the center of the UQ? can you post some photo's of the inside/outside othe UQ?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast