Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    InsulTubes are what I named the longitudinal pleats that are incorporated into the Torso Heater, a 2'x3' sewn-in piece of IX between the layers, which serves to improve the performance by maintaining the tiny gap that IX needs.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    so is there a small section that actually has 3 layers of IX?

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Yes! That's the case with all Molly Mac Gear IX UQs. With the Baby Orca, it's not a small section, but everything except the 8-10" around the edges.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    Just pulled the trigger on one of these Shamu quilts. I was concerned that it was overselling itself (and maybe it is), but at the end of the day I'm looking for an inside underquilt for my bedroom hammock. The fact that this can more appropriately double as an outside hammock than the KAQ New River (due to the weight and size) made me give it a shot (along with testimonies like this one). If I like it, I'll probably end up getting one for my daughter for the same purpose.

The product page doesn't state the size of the stuff sack or the size of the item in it's compressed state. Does anyone happen to have that information?
    Last edited by adam.skinner; 03-16-2011 at 14:06. Reason: Compressibility question
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuban
    Insulation
    3S Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I too am looking at one of these Shamu full length underquilts. I already have one of Hammockgears 3 season underquilts, but I'm planning a few long distance trail hikes and the Shamu is 10oz. lighter than the Hammockgear quilt and if it will indeed fit into the WBBB stuff sack still attached to the hammock, that's a bonus. As that will also free up a big chunk of room in my backpack.

Tree to Tree seems to be currently sold out tho.

I know this is an old thread but anyone that is using this underquilt are you also using some sort of pad when the temp is in the 40s?

Tree to tree seems to be sold out is there anywhere else you can purchase this?

I am looking to get the most compact, lightest insulation for my hammock as space is important. I only have about 30L for a 8 day trip.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jlink View Post
    I know this is an old thread but anyone that is using this underquilt are you also using some sort of pad when the temp is in the 40s?
    It should work just fine for nearly everyone, even in the 40s. Thing1 and I use our Baby Orcas and 5-in-1 Jerry Chairs (both are 3/4 length Molly Mac Gear IX UQs) down to freezing with nothing else under us.

Tree to tree seems to be sold out is there anywhere else you can purchase this?
    Tree to Tree is the only source. I have a Baby Orca 3/4 IX UQ I will sell. It's brand new, never been used. Send me an email message.

I am looking to get the most compact, lightest insulation for my hammock as space is important. I only have about 30L for a 8 day trip.
    I'm jealous!
    - MacEntyre
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Clark Tropical 2 & XL rainfly
    Tarp
    TRG Prospecting
    Insulation
    TTTG Shamu
    Suspension
    standard Clark
    Just came across this thread and thought I'd better add my 2 cents seeing as I have the Shamu.

I can vouch for it down to 5ºC (I think thats about 40ºf) while I was wearing lightweight polypro thermals and using my WM sycamore. I was plenty warm enough and could have gone a few degrees lower.

I pulled an edge of the shamu away from the bottom of the hamock while I was laying in it in the morning and the difference was huge, the cold air flowed straight in an the bottom of the hammock got instantly quite cold. Just stopping the wind hitting the hammock fabric makes enough of a difference plus the insultex's insulation qualities (hence the 'insul' tex )

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies

IX under quilt

So how comfy are these under quilts between the temps of 70-55 degrees, in the warmer weather does it breath well or are they steamy?

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    So how comfy are these under quilts between the temps of 70-55 degrees, in the warmer weather does it breath well or are they steamy?
    I have one of the originals and use it spring summer and fall. If it's hot just open up the ends a bit.....never steamy. It's one of my favorite pieces of gear. You get soooo much value and usefullness for the money. One of these days I plan on upgrading to the latest model. I've been comfortable in the 40s. Can't say enough good things about it.

Miguel

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast