Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Arrow Need help...first time hanger

Hey everyone. I have lightly browsed on this site and it seems like everyone is very knowledgeable. I am from Arkansas and our winters rarely get below 28 and I do want to camp in the. I have a Big Agnes sleeping bag with no bottom insulation (it has a sleeve for a pad!) which I bought anticipating a future hammock purchase.

My question(s) are these. I am presently torn between HH, Clark or right now the main one being the Jungle Hammock from Claytor. Also I am debating on buying a REI Half Dome 2 HC(tent). I know this is kind of a hard thing to bias, but I want to know if the Jungle Hammock or the tent would be best for my uses.

I may on occassion want to take a buddy or lady friend on a hike with me. I would share a hammock with a lady but not with a buddy. Also in the dead of winter I kind of like the tent. I have a 15% off coupon for REI so they both cost about the same.

Thanks in advance,
    Matthew

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Don't think too many folks around here are gonna say get the tent. Neo is gonna be proud of me when I say get the Claytor.
    Hammock camping in winter is great. You just need to experiment with options to stay warm. Two people sleeping in a hammock could never be comfy IMO. Even in a double hammock. Much better to have 2 separate hammocks.
    Welcome to the site.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    I agree with FF, I live in Fayetteville, so I know what you mean about the winters. Surely not a tent, hammocks are much more comfortable. If you are handy with a sewing machine you could try to make your hammock, a lot of us here do that using Just Jeff's instructions @ www.tothewoods.net . Again I agree with FF, only one per hammock. You have the right idea with the big agnes though, smart choice if you are going to use a bag with a hammock. Hope to meet you soon, and good luck with whatever your purchase. I know you will be a lot more satisfied with a hammock versus a tent.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Another vote for the hammock system (of course).

Some things to consider tho:
    Most people are fair weather 'campers'. With this in mind it is easy to justify the hammock as your primary shelter. Then, when others want to join you (in the spring or fall)...TELL THEM TO BRING THEIR OWN GEAR!!!!

Just kidding! just buy a 'cheap' tent, you will not use it very often and usually in good weather. You can also go with tarps or just cowboy camp (no shelter), when others wanna go. I know it sounds stingy, but I would defenitely buy for myself first.

There are many options for DIY gear, but if I were going to spend money, it would be for my benefit (unless it was for the family, but that's another thread).
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Thanks

Thanks for everyones input. I have a cheap 'big box' arkansas bases retailer's tent. I Spent 80% of the tents original cost on waterproofing agents and still had moisture/condensation issues.

I know with the hammock I was looking at it can be pitched on the ground, but unless I plan on leaving arkansas there should be trees a plenty anywhere I'll be going.

I think I'll just use that coupon on some trekking poles or a new stove. Anybody here like the brunton vapor af over the msr dragonfly? I hear the dragonfly stove sounds like a jet.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Hammock

I plan on ordering my hammock by this sunday, so I will let everyone know how things go. Thanks again.

Hammock
    Trecklight Double
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    U.S. Poncho Liners
    Images
    Just a heads up the waterproofing isn't going to help with condensation issues it's going to make them worse. The only way to get rid of the condensation is to have good ventilation that way you let the water vapor out of the tent so it doesn't accumalate. A suggestion would be to get a tarp that you can use for your hammock, yet is big enough to be used for a shelter on the ground by 2 or however many you plan on coming with you plus room for your packs. My suggestion would be for a Speers Winter Tarp or The JRB 10 x 11 This would give you many options for single storm proof hanging and group shelter for when your friends come. PS you can still hang while your friend sleep on the ground with you both being under the tarp,LOL!

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Don't forget to plaan adequate, comfortable bottom insulation from the start... No sense in learning the hard way.... Welcome.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

buy both if you can. A lot of these folks will say a hammock is the only way to go. I can sleep in a tent or a hammock just as comfortable while others say they can't. You have to decide what is best for you. If a tent works do it, if a hammock works go that way. As far as sharing the tent/hammock with a lady I would say use a tent. More area to roll a round in

If your tight with money buy the Wal Mart ccf pads instead of investing in an underquilt. Ed Speer makes very good quilts (top and bottom)
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Tarp
    Stock Claytor
    Insulation
    Big Agnes System
    Images

Thanks again

Thanks again for the great feedback http://www.mosquitohammock.com/junglehammock.html is the hammock I plan on buying I hear it can be better than a clark, and I love the full camo.
    Will the rainfly be adequate or should I pack a larger one for downpours?

In response to padding/insulation comments I appreciate your helpfullness. Last september I purchased a Big Agnes sleeping bag. These have no bottom insulation but a sleeve just like most hammocks do. I plan on using my Air-Core pad with a less than full inflation. I already have a cheap tent as I mentioned, and since my pack holds enough (and I can carry it) for a 2-3 person weekend of camping I'm sure someone else could carry the big 'ol cheap tent.

In response to the waterproofing comment--how is condensation with hammocks? I know the clark has the weathershield, but it seems like that would make condensation worse.

• + New Posts