DIY Hammock setup!

Hey folks, pretty much have my hammock setup completed. Just need to make a couple minor modifications (additional tarp tie-outs, lighter weight pegs for the marlin hitch) and add bugnetting. Anyway, check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86K9s...el_video_title

Comments, thoughts, and questions always appreciated. Thanks!

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Looking good.
    I don't like the long toggles. I see me poking my eyeball out with those. I went with three inch toggles.
    Whipping- I don't use it. I simply gather and apply the whoopie. The end hem creates enough of a stopper for me and I have yet to have one fail, rip, or slide off. I do a double wrap with the whoopie, feed the adjustable end thru the locked eye and cinch it down tight. It also allows full use of the hammock fabric, doing away with the floppy bundles at each end.

Your hang looked a little flat. Try putting your suspension up higher to maintain the 30* rule. Flat or super tight will stress the fabric and suspension more. Trees distance was a little big.

I hate paracord. It stretches bad and keeps stretching. Creates a floppy tarp, especially when it gets wet. I used it before and it seemed like I was constantly re adjusting the tarp. Once I switched to fling it/zing it style rope for the ridgeline, it stays nice and tight.
    HYOH. And thanks for the vid.
    I also like my whoopies under the toggles, seems like less strain on the toggle. And I've broken trail stick toggles, when the whoopie puts downward force on them.
    The force should be on the hitch. And the toggle is just holding the hitch.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

thanks Gargoyle

Just making due with some of the items at hand that day. We cut some short aluminum pcs last night.
    Although we have a great deal of paracord, we will look into other cord for the ridgeline.
    Thanks for all your comments!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    As Gargolye said...
    Make sure that the woopies are on the knot and not the spike. It's a case for failure. I also like my woopies under the spike... To me it looks like the woopie is better seated on the knot then. Just my 2 cents...

PS: check out Shug's vids on hammock setup part 1-5 one of them goes over the marlin and woopie setup.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    +1 on everything Gargoyle said. Also, you might want to try laying with your head on the low side and your feet to the high side. Most fellers' center of gravity is about at their shoulders, so having their feet a couple of inches higher keeps them from sliding down to the bottom of the hammock. If you want to sit in your hammock as you did at first, try adding a foot line (search "footline" on the Forums) They're great until you need a bug net. And finally, the young lady in the video will probably be more comfortable if she lays on a slight diagonal.

These are just MINOR tweeks--just like we're all doing all the time to be more comfortable in the Great Outdoors. You're WELL ON YOUR WAY to cozy, hammocky comfort! Congrats! Awesome job!!! Thanks for sharing!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Looks Great

Welcome to the world of DIY.
    Let the obsession begin.

• + New Posts