Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images

Buying Xpac Tomorrow at $3.50/yard.

I don't know how much interest there is in Xpac on the forum for making backpacks - especially, as a cheaper alternative to Dynema X. However, I am making a quick purchase of the Xpac material (seconds) at a severely reduced rate. Normally, Xpac is purchased at about $10.25 - $12.50/yard. Dynema is about $21-22/yard. I'm getting mine for $3.50/yard (depending on taxes) in black. My understanding is if I order 10 yards, I don't have a cutting fee, so my plan is to order 10 yards. 54" roll

The fabric is the VX07 which is the lightest it comes in and is listed as an Expedition Series from the company. Some details (70D double-ripstop nylon with a .25 mil PET film and a 50 denier plyester taffeta backing. It is DWR to the extreme. It uses spinnaker sailcloth technology.

If there is anyone interested let me know ASAP. If you have my phone number, you can call me later tonight or email me and I'll email you early tomorrow morning (6:45).

As much as I am into UL, there is a balance of security to UL that a more durable fabric gives me.
    I like big hammocks - I cannot like.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I don't want any, but I did get some samples of that stuff from Rockywoods a while ago. That seems like VERY tough stuff... Good luck with your project. Post pictures when you finish.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm not in (sorry), but I did just receive 10yds each of their VX07, VX21, WX20, and TX07. By far the VX series is a much nicer material, at least visually (because of the backing material that the WX and TX series does not have). I'll use VX21 on the back/bottom of packs and VX07 on the front and sides - but going all VX07 should be fine. It's really cool material.

I didn't find any issues with their 2nds fabric.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    Good to hear Sclittlefield! I wanted a yard of the heaver stuff for the bottom, but figured the VT07 would do fine. I wanted the kiwi or a better green, but couldnt' get it. Any thoughts on the other materials? What's your plans with the other Xpac fabric?

I should be able to get 1 pack for every 1.5 linear yards (if, I do netting pockets).

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    Good to hear Sclittlefield! I wanted a yard of the heaver stuff for the bottom, but figured the VT07 would do fine. I wanted the kiwi or a better green, but couldnt' get it. Any thoughts on the other materials? What's your plans with the other Xpac fabric?

I should be able to get 1 pack for every 1.5 linear yards (if, I do netting pockets).
    Definitely do netting pockets, or a light ripstop nylon. You won't want to be using XPac for pockets (at least, not for most of them). It's too much for that application.

I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do with it all. I'm working on making a DIY pack design available (for free) and wanted to experiment with differing fabrics. I'll probably sell off some of it by the yard after I'm done playing around with it.

I also got 10yds of spacer mesh (the kind used on high-end packs on the back, shoulder straps, and waist belts) to work with. And 10yds of some really nice pocket mesh, as well as 1/8" and 1/4" minicell and volara foam to use in the shoulder straps and waist belts. Once the design is all figured out I'll post them here and have them available on my website. (I'll submit current plans and ask folks to make it better, then make the plans available - that'll probably have to be in the Pack subforum for donating members... PSA: If you're not a donating member - go donate! There's a whole subforum of topics you're missing out on.)
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Great timing. I'll take 4 yards and will also buy some VX21 if you can get a good price on it. I sent you a pm with my contact information.
    Thanks

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    gdw- sorry, but the order was already made.

sclittlefield - I haven't bought the padding or netting yet. I'm not sure what I'll be using for it yet, but definitely the good stuff.

• + New Posts